Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 69 - Mothering Forums

553Likes

#2041 of 4789 Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Anyone read this blog?

http://www.closetcooking.com/

Lots of good ideas there, too. Now to just get up the energy and enthusiasm to try some of them!

Mom "D"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DD1 "Z" (17)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2042 of 4789 Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Those noodle bowls are on my list, too, along with a number of other recipes from Budget Bytes!

Tonight I made a lackluster, too-salty chickpea curry. Meh. I need to get some cooking mojo back.

Meh, indeed. Don't you hate when dinner turns out lackluster and you just have to suck it up and eat it anyway?

We had spaghetti marinara as an early dinner before husband went to work tonight, and I'm having the last bowl of chicken noodle soup now since I'm hungry again. 

- my blog on small town homesteading.

#2043 of 4789 Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lord I find cooking tedious...but since adopting a Paleo lifestyle over a year ago I've had no choice. Can't eat anything processed, so I get to cook every day. I can see how it could be fun (if I had endless time and money), tonight was pam cooked lamb (cumin, garlic, salt, pepper), avocado, and baby broccoli from the CSA delivery. Frozen fraud for dessert smile.gif

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH
 , mama to beautiful DS Kai
9/2011, #2 due 10/2015

#2044 of 4789 Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 AM

Plan for this week is

Sat. - Hamburgers/veggie burgers and vegetable tray

Sun. - ?? maybe out

Mon. - Italian wonderpot from Budget Bytes

Tue. - Thai green curry with tofu and vegetables

Weds. - Tater tots, salad, ravioli (I fend for myself - school night)

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#2045 of 4789 Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

We need to grocery shopping for fresh veg on Monday, so the options for whole meals are a little thin at the moment. Using the last 4 potatoes and an onion, I made potato soup for tonight. Tomorrow I'm thinking of doing bean and bacon soup. And then on Monday I can cook properly once more! 

#2046 of 4789 Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Today was chicken ranch wraps. I think I'm going to post it in the Mothering contest.smile.gif So yummy!

Frequent Auto Correct Victim.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08
, Ana born at home 11/12, Nathaniel born at home in the water 07/15

#2047 of 4789 Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last night we had champagne chicken baked with mushrooms and onions, roasted garlic and olive oil couscous, sauteed brussels sprouts, broccoli and pears.

We are going to the circus today at 4:00 (the non-animal one) and will let the kids eat some treats there, then have peanut butter sandwiches and fruit on long drive home, to settle their tummies and keep them awake. I think the mister and I are going to order some sushi after the kids go to bed. So, there goes this week's Soup Sunday, but that's okay.

On the menu this week:

Steaks, roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, baked stuffed yellow squash

Teriyaki salmon, stir fried vegetables, rice

Either chicken cacciatore OR trying the italian wonder pot with chicken apple sausage, both with high fiber spaghetti and zucchini noodles

Taco Tuesday, ground beef and black beans, soft tortilla bowls, chopped cabbage, tomatoes and avocado

Waffle Wednesday with sausage, eggs and fruit for kids/Asian glazed chicken, stir fried vegetables, quinoa

Pizza Friday, salami and mushroom for kids, depends for adults, maybe a zucchini or eggplant crust pizza

We will probably go to Costco next Saturday, and will pick up a rotisserie chicken that I can then use to make more stock for next weekend's Soup Sunday.

#2048 of 4789 Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

Lord I find cooking tedious...but since adopting a Paleo lifestyle over a year ago I've had no choice. Can't eat anything processed, so I get to cook every day. I can see how it could be fun (if I had endless time and money), tonight was pam cooked lamb (cumin, garlic, salt, pepper), avocado, and baby broccoli from the CSA delivery. Frozen fraud for dessert smile.gif

Dh and I eat 90/10 Primal and it is time consuming. My kids still eat some grains so a small amount are included in my dinner planning, but only for them. It makes take out and fast meals challenging and I feel like my life is a revolving messy kitchen. I feel your pain :)

#2049 of 4789 Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Killer deals at the grocery store today. I'm so excited - I've finally been able to cut our monthly grocery budget in half, and by shopping the sales, stocking up on pantry items where appropriate and using coupons, I am actually getting more food for less money. It's so exciting!

And tonight, we are finally going to try the teriyaki noodle bowls! I have stir fry veggies, extra broccoli to add in (got it for $0.80!), the soba noodles and all the stuff in the pantry to make the sauce. I'm so excited - I hope it lives up to the hype! 

#2050 of 4789 Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

And tonight, we are finally going to try the teriyaki noodle bowls! I have stir fry veggies, extra broccoli to add in (got it for $0.80!), the soba noodles and all the stuff in the pantry to make the sauce. I'm so excited - I hope it lives up to the hype! 

Teriyaki noodle bowls did not live up to the hype. Despite cooking the noodles for exactly three minutes, they were still overcooked. And the frozen veg was mushy. And the sauce did not even remotely taste like teriyaki sauce. So.... next time I'm going to use fresh veg instead of frozen, and use a different recipe for teriyaki sauce. I'm not giving up on these - I really want a good teriyaki noodle bowl! 

#2051 of 4789 Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM

Lack of cooking mojo has officially morphed into dysfunction - I burned a whole pot of black beans tonight. Ugh. I cooked them on the stove (whyyyyy?) even though I always use the crockpot. The result was and is a very stinky kitchen - working on that - and finding out local pizza place has 50% off pizza on Mondays. Really need to get this back in gear!!

Kitchensqueen, re: Teriyaki noodle bowls. Did you use soba or somen?

Somen - http://japanesefood.about.com/od/udon/r/coldsomennoodle.htm

Soba - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soba (see pic at bottom right - soba noodle salad)

When I have cooked somen, they turn mushy quickly. The soba I use from Super-H take about 5 min. to cook. If you find a tasty, not-too-sweet teriyaki sauce, I would love the recipe!

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#2052 of 4789 Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM

That stinks KQ! I have a hard time keeping frozen veg from getting mushy in dishes like that. You miss that crisp bite. I bet you can figure out a better recipe!

I was going to make the Italian Wonderpot tonight, then decided I didn't want to tempt myself with the noodles. I had sushi last night and realized that I cannot eat as much rice as I used to, I felt so overly full. I needed a grain free dinner to balance it out.

So, I turned the ingredients into Pizza Soup, I used chicken instead of sausage and also added peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and olives, and added some noodles to the kids' bowls and they also had a small slice of leftover pugliese bread from the other day with salami. And watermelon. Just a big ol' bowl of soup for me :)

#2053 of 4789 Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM

The Italian Wonderpot got two make-it-again ratings from my family, but it wasn't my favorite. I think it could be tweaked, though.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#2054 of 4789 Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We're having a healthier, updated version of beef stroganoff. It's okay, but not my favorite -- DH requested it. I do like that we'll have leftover sliced steak for sandwiches tomorrow -- I got a yummy baguette and aged swiss to go with those.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2055 of 4789 Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Meatloaf here!

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08

#2056 of 4789 Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Kitchensqueen, re: Teriyaki noodle bowls. Did you use soba or somen?

Somen - http://japanesefood.about.com/od/udon/r/coldsomennoodle.htm

Soba - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soba (see pic at bottom right - soba noodle salad)

When I have cooked somen, they turn mushy quickly. The soba I use from Super-H take about 5 min. to cook. If you find a tasty, not-too-sweet teriyaki sauce, I would love the recipe!

It said soba on the package, and they were clearly buckwheat noodles, but they were really fine - almost like angel hair pasta. All of the other soba I've had has been a thicker noodle. So maybe it was just the brand I picked up? I'm going to get a couple different kinds the next time we go to Mitsuwa - they'll likely have a better selection than Woodman's did (though I do adore Woodman's!). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

That stinks KQ! I have a hard time keeping frozen veg from getting mushy in dishes like that. You miss that crisp bite. I bet you can figure out a better recipe!

Yeah, I guess I forgot that frozen veg is basically only suitable for quick steaming and almost never works in things like stirfry. And you know I will keep trying to tweak the recipe! I'll keep everyone posted. 

Husband is working tonight, so I just made myself a baked potato with butter and chives because I didn't feel like cooking. Tomorrow we'll be doing a huge pork shoulder in the crockpot for pulled pork, and I have a jar of cherry barbecue sauce that my boss brought back from her vacation to Michigan. So I'm making enough to feed the coworkers that sit in my area for lunch Thursday so everyone can try the barbecue sauce.

#2057 of 4789 Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM

The soba I have had are the thicker ones, too. Some brands are grainier/mushier than others. Maybe it depends on the wheat/buckwheat ratio.

Mom "D"
to DD1 "Z" (17)
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#2058 of 4789 Old 09-04-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The soba I have had are the thicker ones, too. Some brands are grainier/mushier than others. Maybe it depends on the wheat/buckwheat ratio.

I think I need to put it on my to do list to research what authentic soba is supposed to be, and the best cooking method for it. 

My dinner is still not done - husband's day was super hectic so the pork shoulder didn't get put into the crockpot until the afternoon. It'll probably be done around nine... so I'm having instant ramen since I'm so hungry I think my stomach is eating itself. 

#2059 of 4789 Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Today was a long school day so mac n Cheese with hotdogs, chili, and for Ana and me, sauerkraut.

#2060 of 4789 Old 09-05-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Leftover pulled pork with jalapeno cornbread here. Tomorrow we're doing barbecue chicken. 

#2061 of 4789 Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Leftover pulled pork with jalapeno cornbread here.

Yum!!! I'll have to add jalapeño to my cornbread next time. I never add anything like that because I like to eat cornbread with honey for breakfast when we have leftovers, but maybe next time I'll double the recipe so I can have a sweet and a savory.

My DH is excited for the opening night of football tonight, so we're having football food: pizza, hot wings, chips/salsa, and (to try to have some redeeming nutritional value) a green salad.

#2062 of 4789 Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Today I'm going to grill chicken, steak and corn. My MIL gave me 3 dozen ears of corn from her garden. Hubby and I split one while I was freezing them last night. SO good!

#2063 of 4789 Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Chicken and black bean soft tacos, green salad, and fruit salad.

#2064 of 4789 Old 09-06-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Barbecue chicken in the crockpot with egg noodles and the last of the jalapeno cornbread. It was really good!

#2065 of 4789 Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM

We have so many home grown organic tomatoes from our garden, it's ridiculous. (Sadly, due to work restrictions, a child with some health issues and my own health situation I'm not going to be able to can this year.)

Tonight, I'm making stuffed tomatoes. I'll cook up some rice in our rice cooker, while it's cooking I'll hollow out about 6 tomatoes, salt them and put them to drain. I'll chop up the insides of the tomato, mix it with already made tomato sauce (canned would be fine, too) ) mix in the rice, some browned ground sirloin (TVP or mashed up veggie burger for my veggie daughter) some green beans or peas, some plain bread crumbs, some herbs and top with Panko breadcrumbs. Put in an oiled glass pan, cover with foil or parchment, bake on 350° about 30 minutes, then take the cover off and cook for 10 minutes until the Panko browns. We usually serve it with fruit in the summer or baked apples in the fall or winter.

You can also mix all the tomato stuffing goods with a beaten egg, as it will hold together better. Then put Panko on top.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#2066 of 4789 Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Left over meatloaf!

#2067 of 4789 Old 09-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)

I had potato pancakes topped with a basil, parsley, tomato, pine nut concoction.  I have a lot of herbs in the garden to use.  It was good - but a fair bit of work for a small amount of food.  I am still hungry.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.
#2068 of 4789 Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I had potato pancakes topped with a basil, parsley, tomato, pine nut concoction.

Yum!! You had me at "basil and pine nuts," but then to combine it with potatoes?!? Genius - I'll have to try that. Maybe as a side dish, since it sounds like it wasn't filling enough for a main course. But yummmm!

I went out for sushi with some girlfriends last night -- it was divine.

#2069 of 4789 Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The weather has turned cool. Time to break out the soup/stew/casserole recipes. Last night I made a spicy red lentil dahl with basmati rice. 

This week I will finally use up all those broccoli stems that I've frozen this summer. I'll use them by making broccoli and cheddar cheese soup. The stems were left over from all the broccoli salads we ate in the hot weather. 

#2070 of 4789 Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

The weather has turned cool. Time to break out the soup/stew/casserole recipes. Last night I made a spicy red lentil dahl with basmati rice. 

Same here - kind of... it is still a bit humid today though. I'm making bacon and whiskey chili tonight, with jalapeno cornbread. The jalapeno plants in the garden are prolific this year!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page