Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

#181 of 3533 Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OOoh, I just may do that skillet lasagne for supper.  I am making a marshmallow treat skirt for a barbie right now 'cause it's my dd's bday.  I'll ice that and it is SO much easier than a cake!

I have a duck thawing out, but really didn't want to go to all that trouble tonight.  I'd rather watch my little one ride her new-to-her, free-for-us bike!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 3533 Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Hm, that is an interesting way to make lasagna. 

I'm so excited - my own copy of the Slow Cooker by Diane Phillips arrived from Amazon this week! LOVE this book. Tonight's recipe from is Umbrian Lentil Soup. I followed the recipe exactly, except I added some extra diced ham I had leftover and didn't freeze from yesterday. And just because I was curious, I did a quick cost analysis on it, and I think I came out pretty good budget-wise - 

$0.32 3 carrots   

$0.35 4 celery sticks  

$3.50 32 ounces stock  

$0.32 1/2 pound ham  

$1.40 2 pints tomatoes  

$0.05 2 cloves garlic  

$0.20 1 onion  

$0.45 1/2 bag lentils  

$6.59 total  

$0.82 price per serving (8 servings)  

Though I could've done even better if I didn't have to use store bought stock... this should be three meals for us - tonight's dinner and two for the freezer. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#183 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 AM

I think we will have breakfast for dinner tonight.  I am not feeling very imaginative...

Mommy to Kait 1/1999 and expecting another awesome small person with my amazing husband joy.gif
#184 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Last night I did kabobs.

Tonight, pasta with sauce. I'm not feeling thrilled or imaginative today for cooking.
#185 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Same here - no creativity with food today... I wanted to do something out of my new book, but I didn't plan ahead and defrost any meat last night. Which I guess is okay; we could use a meatless meal this week since we haven't had one yet... so who knows. I don't want to do pasta with marinara because I'm making bolognese tomorrow. I do have some canned salmon - maybe salmon cakes with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#186 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm going to roast that duck tonight.  I have no idea what I will serve with....

Last night I did make the skillet lasagne.  I already had spaghetti sauce w/raccoon in the freezer so it was super easy.  I just served steamed cauliflower and broccoli with it.

I have bread dough in the fridge, so maybe a nice loaf of bread w/butter and I have 2 heads of green cabbage to use up.  I should make some bierocks for the freezer w/some of it, come to think of it...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#187 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I need to bake some bread this weekend, actually a whole bunch. We get spoiled during the summer and I buy it from our favorite bakery in the next town because they have a stand at our farmers market, but now that the market is done we have no decent bread. Store bought bread just doesn't cut it. The few times I buy it I'm always disappointed and regret it. I need to bake a couple of pain d'epi loaves, which is our favorite all purpose bread. And some quick breads - probably herb and pumpkin. And more biscuits - I've been addicted to biscuits lately. 

Sadly, I did not get to make salmon cakes tonight. I really got all geared up for them after I posted about it. But the recipe called for artichoke hearts and Old Bay seasoning, neither of which I currently have in the house. I've got to add them to this weekend's shopping list. We ended up having a mixed late lunch/early dinner of pasta salad and Italian sausage. Just some wagon wheel pasta with green onions, sun dried tomatoes, olive tapenade and capers with balasamic vinaigrette. It really is our fall back dish when we've got nothing else going - we probably eat it way to much, but it's good. 

Oh, and the lentil soup I made from the crockpot book last night is AMAZING. Though my husband only ate one courtesy bowl - it didn't convert him from his lentil hate like I had hoped. Oh well, I have two more freezer meals of it all for me to eat for lunch when he's not home! If anyone else loves lentils and wants the recipe let me know, and I'll post it. Seriously the best lentil soup I have had anywhere, in my entire life. 

#188 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Tonight -- the lamest, cheapest, easiest meal ever.  Rice with minced Andoille (sp?) sausage left over from making gumbo, and cracked an egg on top as it neared the end of it's simmer.  Shockingly yummy.  You gotta love the end of the month budget crunch!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#189 of 3533 Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 PM

today my mom made a yummy hamburger vegetable soup. we have a cold front coming in, yay for cool weather food and lower electric bills, lol. last night we had egg salad and crackers. wednesdays are our quick days, because we go straight from work to church, and dont get home til around 830- just enough time to have dinner and get ready for bed.

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#190 of 3533 Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Last night was baked BBQ tofu, baked sweet potatoes and coleslaw with lime vinaigrette. Tonight we are actually going to pick up something (sounds like pizza) on the way to an activity. Haven't done that in a while!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#191 of 3533 Old 10-28-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

I got to spend some time in the kitchen tonight making a more labor intensive dinner (which I enjoy because I love to cook) - pasta bolognese. And I got the missing ingredients for the salmon cakes at the store today, so that's on my list for this weekend. Maybe Sunday lunch. 

#192 of 3533 Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 PM

we had pizza today too. fridays my son and i have a standing date- we get a redbox movie and camp out on the couch bed, dinners are usually something fun and easy. tonight it was frozen pizza... gonna work on the meal plan for the next 2 weeks this weekend.

#193 of 3533 Old 10-29-2011, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Today we are going to have wine marinated, mustard grilled ham served with Cecilie potatoes (they are firm, small potatoes with a sweet, almost slightly nutty taste) drizzled with parsley butter and tender steamed carrots.

#194 of 3533 Old 10-29-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well since I'm baking all day I'll be using the crockpots.  I'm doing the potatoes and the chicken.  We did just have turkey breast two days in a row and DH is wanting some red meat for the first time in ages.  We'll see.

Also, there is no such thing as too many food threads.  I've found some GREAT ideas on here. 

#195 of 3533 Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

I'm also planning to bake today - a pain d'epi for our bread this week, and either a coffee cake or pumpkin bread. And a quick herb bread, in mini loaves. And I'm thinking about using my crockpot for baking too - there's a chocolate lava cake recipe in my new book.

As for dinner - I think I'll do the salmon cakes with steamed broccoli and rice pilaf tonight - quick and easy after a day at the oven. Plus I want to get dinner on the table before the Hawks game. 

#196 of 3533 Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM

Tonight is duck soup of some sort.  I'm also baking lemon chess pies for the freezer so I can take them to a family reunion this coming weekend.  I also have bananas I need to make into bread (probably just use my bread machine), and beans I need to soak.

****raising hand for the lentil soup recipe!****

#197 of 3533 Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'll post the lentil soup recipe sometime later today. :-)

My husband isn't feeling well today, so it's chicken noodle soup at our house tonight. 

#198 of 3533 Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Duck soup sounds lovely!

We are having pork roast, with rice and pineapple carrot curry sauce.

#199 of 3533 Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM

last night was grocery shopping night, and we picked up a rotisserie chicken from HEB... tonight, with all the halloween busyness, we used the leftover chicken for sandwiches... quick, easy, and yum, with lots of mayo, lol.

tomorrow will be either tacos or taco salad, depending on my mood at dinner time

#200 of 3533 Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I have no idea what we're doing for dinner tonight... I haven't defrosted any meat product. Maybe I'll ask husband to pick up a small package of beef so we can do beef pies - I've got a package of puff pastry in the fridge and a bottle of red wine that we'll never be able to drink before it goes south. I feel as though we're going to have to start buying boxed wine... since I've been pregnant and now breastfeeding I feel like I waste more wine than I drink, since I only have a glass every few days. And there's only so many days in a row I want to eat something that's cooked in it. I hate to waste it. :-(

Chicky2, here's the lentil soup recipe. I completely forgot about it yesterday. 

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 carrots, chopped

6 stalks celery, chopped [I only used 4]

2 teaspoons dried sage (or 2 fresh leaves, minced)

1 14-15 ounce can of chopped tomatoes

2 cups brown lentils

6 cups vegetable broth [I used chicken stock]

In a pan on the stove, saute the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and sage in the oil for a few minutes until the garlic and onion are fragrant. 

Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for a few minutes to evaportate some of the juice. 

Transfer to a slow cooker and stir in lentils and broth.

Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.

I also happened to have a few cups of diced ham leftover, so I added that too. It was unbelievably good! If you make it, let me know how you like it. I'm fanatical about this stuff! I still can't believe my husband hates lentils after having this soup...

#201 of 3533 Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Sounds almost exactly like some lentil soups I've made, just to get rid of stuff, lol.  The only thing is that I'm not really crazy about tomatoes in soup for some reason.  Chili and stuff like that, fine, but in a regular soup, I don't know what my problem is, lol.  But I still make things that way sometimes, for a change and for everyone else.

I'm making bierocks tonight.  My last package of ground pork (our own) is thawing right now.  My hubby had better get busy butchering those last 2 pigs out there because I'm spoiled to ground meat for a quick meal. 

Last night's soup was great, and I made the pain d'epi too!  I had some dough in the fridge already, and the taste was slightly sour because I didn't wash the bowl I made the last batch of dough in...Good stuff.

I made 3 loaves of banana bread yesterday and they don't know about the 3rd one I snuck into the freezer....The 2nd one is almost gone.  I also made 2 lemon chess pies (already had the dough made in the fridge) and stuck them into the freezer for my family reunion on Saturday.  I also have to make a grape salad and coleslaw and black beans.

#202 of 3533 Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Grilled chicken

spice-y rice

I'm not feeling any more creative than that.
#203 of 3533 Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I want more lentil soup for dinner, truth be told. But instead I'm making beef pie - beef and onions in a red wine sauce encased in puff pastry. I'll likely do French potato salad on the side. And I need a sweet treat - snickerdoodles or chocolate chip cookies or shoofly pie... sometimes I wish this stuff would just magically appear. I'm so tired today.

#204 of 3533 Old 11-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Tonight was lemon pasta, a Cook's Illustrated recipe.  Easy, quick, cheap.  And yum!!!

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#205 of 3533 Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm pooped today for some reason so tonight will be leftover duck soup, veggie quiche that I made after the bierocks last night, and maybe I'll cook some cauliflower that needs cookin'.  We'll see.  I want cinnamon rolls.

#206 of 3533 Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing pork chops, but I haven't decided whether to do them breaded or with a honey mustard sauce. And I don't know about a side - maybe roasted or mashed potatoes...

#207 of 3533 Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for that lentil soup recipe. I find adding some tomatoes to a lentil soup, as you do, really lifts the flavor. I also add a touch of honey. 

I made bread this weekend for the first time in years and found the basic recipe in the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day to be so easy. No kneading, barely any mixing. I was intimidated by making bread from early experiences and this just delighted me. Now I have dough in the fridge for more loaves.

And, I also made Ricotta Cheese. Talk about easy!!! Just heat the milk with a bit of salt and some cream. Take off the stove. Add lemon juice. Sit for 5 minutes and then strain through cheesecloth. I didn't have any so used a thin dish towel and it just dripped away for a couple of hours and is now in the fridge. Oh my yumminess.

Going to go make some quesadillas for lunch and have a pork loin thawing for dinner. Not sure what to have with it yet, but may have to fall back on the skillet lasagna, or a variation on it, to use the ricotta. Or maybe shells.

#208 of 3533 Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM

KQ, I just realized I never actually thanked you for that recipe.  Bad manners, I'm so sorry.  Thank you for the recipe!  I am going to make it, and I think that if I put the tomatoes thru my food processor I won't have any issues.  I have very few food issues, but big chunks of cooked tomatoes would be one of the few. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

Thanks for that lentil soup recipe. I find adding some tomatoes to a lentil soup, as you do, really lifts the flavor. I also add a touch of honey. 

I made bread this weekend for the first time in years and found the basic recipe in the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day to be so easy. No kneading, barely any mixing. I was intimidated by making bread from early experiences and this just delighted me. Now I have dough in the fridge for more loaves.

And, I also made Ricotta Cheese. Talk about easy!!! Just heat the milk with a bit of salt and some cream. Take off the stove. Add lemon juice. Sit for 5 minutes and then strain through cheesecloth. I didn't have any so used a thin dish towel and it just dripped away for a couple of hours and is now in the fridge. Oh my yumminess.

Going to go make some quesadillas for lunch and have a pork loin thawing for dinner. Not sure what to have with it yet, but may have to fall back on the skillet lasagna, or a variation on it, to use the ricotta. Or maybe shells.

I like to make the famous honey baked lentil recipe leftovers into soup.  And since I'm a beekeeper, I kind of have alot of honey to use up, lol.  Lots of different flavors, too.

As for the Artisan bread recipe, did you find it to be salty?  I think I know what I did, though, and am going to try again.  I didn't use *coarse* salt.  I'm sure that makes a difference in the way it measures, huh?  I just find it so odd that few of the recipes in that book call for sugar.  I had always thought that yeasted breads had to have sugar to rise properly.

Yes, ricotta is so easy to make!  So is chevre, esp. if you buy a packet mix for it like I've used.  So easy and so good!  The only thing I've not successfully made yet was real cream cheese, but maybe it's because I was using goat milk instead of cow, I dunno.  Plan to figure it out, though.  I realized just now that I have rennet in the freezer and can make cottage cheese....

#209 of 3533 Old 11-02-2011, 02:30 PM

nevermind, I found it

#210 of 3533 Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

You're welcome Peggy and Chicky2! I had some of it from the freezer for lunch today and it was so good. Only now I only have one container left, so I'm going to have to make more soon. I'm addicted. 

I also don't like large chunks to tomatoes, or any veg really, in soups and sauces. I always dice everything. I use home canned tomatoes that I do whole, so when I cook with them I just chop them up right in the pot with kitchen shears, until they're in pretty small pieces. 

I never did get around to the bread or cookies this week - the baby is going through a phase where he'll really only nap while being held... at least I can type with one hand! I'm hoping to get in the kitchen and do at least the cookies tonight when my husband gets home; we need a little sweet treat. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page