Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 75 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

#2221 of 3134 Old 11-04-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Still doing the mesquite chicken, but instead of red beans and rice we're having Spanish rice instead. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2222 of 3134 Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Shepherd's pie here tonight. Tomorrow night will be barbecue chicken thighs and tater tots, then Thursday night is grocery shopping and we can get some different meat and fresh veg back on the table!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2223 of 3134 Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Mon. - I had school so made myself a big salad; family had spaghetti w/ red sauce

Tue. - DH prepped some lentils/spinach over the weekend, so we had lentil/spinach/potato soup & hot dogs

Wed.- I have school again and three leftover chicken thighs defrosted in the fridge. Will probably grill those w/ BBQ sauce & serve with random vegetables we have. Probably some rice, too, and the leftover chickpeas for vegetarian DD1 so that it makes a meal for her.

Thu. - Has to be quick - DD2 has a performance at school. Bought some cheese/cheese&spinach ravioli at Aldi yesterday, so will probably make that with a salad.

Fri. - Out at a friend's house.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#2224 of 3134 Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm supposed to be making chicken, but I'm just not feeling it. I need to finish the grocery list and plan my shopping deals for tomorrow still, had a super crappy bedtime routine with Little Man and am just not impressed with the idea of trooping into the kitchen and cooking. 

Husband only had to go to work for a few hours tonight for a meeting, so I'm trying to convince him to stop on the way home and pick up a jar of pasta sauce. Lame, but there you have it. 

And on a completely unrelated note, if the herd of elephants that apparently live upstairs today do not stop stomping and clomping around up there this instant I am going to COMPLETELY LOSE IT!!! 

I think I need a glass of wine... or three. 

MrsKoehn likes this.

#2225 of 3134 Old 11-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Broccoli cheese soup and homemade bread ... if I can get off my butt and get to the store to get cheese.

DD 2/08
#2226 of 3134 Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Just pulled a couple of loaves of whole wheat honey and oat bread out of the oven.  I was planning on pasta with roasted veggies but DH just called to say he would not be home for dinner. I"m wondering about making some soup or frittata instead and saving the pasta for the weekend. 

Last night we had homemade felafels. Tomorrow we have a dinner guest. I'm planning on roast maple-glazed salmon and lemon quinoa. I haven't decided on the vegetable side dish yet. 

#2227 of 3134 Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night we had a Pinterest recipe for Mock Chick-fil-A sandwiches with Mock CFA dipping sauce, homemade mozzarella sticks I've had frozen, and canned homemade marinara sauce. It went over great. I've only had a CFA sandwich one ten years ago, the guys (we had family over) never are there, and the wife didn't comment except that she ate a lot of cfa in college. Everyone liked them and the guys stuffed themselves. smile.gif

We had grilled chicken quesadillas for lunch yesterday. They were yum.

Today, nothing so fancy. Baked tacos from Facebook. If I recall, make the meat, fill the shells, add cheese and bake. Then I'll add salsa, sour cream, olives, and lettuce.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#2228 of 3134 Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I had to go out and run errands tonight after work, so I picked up a rotisserie chicken on the way home. We had egg noodles and corn alongside. 

#2229 of 3134 Old 11-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Broccoli rice casserole, mashed sweet potatoes, and a quick green olive and celery salad with lemon juice dressing. There will be a bunch of leftovers smile.gif I'm trying to use up random stuff in the fridge/freezer.

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#2230 of 3134 Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Family meal is lunch today since husband has to work tonight. I've got a lot of random leftovers to use up - a third of a rotisserie chicken, half a bottle of marinara sauce and half a mini bottle of red wine. So I combined them all into a chicken pasta sauce to serve over spinach rotini. 

#2231 of 3134 Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 AM

We've got lunch as dinner for the same reason. Today just sandwiches and chips. Tomorrow I plan a potato- sausage soup.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#2232 of 3134 Old 11-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Tonight is roast beef (with french onion soup and red wine), roasted sweet and fingerling potatoes and brussels sprouts, mashed butternut squash, broccoli and applesauce.

I plan on making steak sandwiches with sautéed onions and mushrooms with the leftover meat for Monday's dinner.

Outside of that, I need to do a big grocery shop and figure out this week's meals, but need to find room in the budget first. 

#2233 of 3134 Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM

Was able to get a halfway decent grocery shop done. I should be good for the first half of the week, I always seem to need more fruit after a few days.

Tonight is chicken paprikash, egg noodles, roasted asparagus, broccoli, garlic bread, and applesauce.

On the menu this week:

Roast beef sandwiches with sautéed onions and mushrooms, oven fries, carrots, salad, fruit

Turkey tacos/tostadas, salad, carrots, fruit

Chicken parmesan, spaghetti, zucchini noodles, fruit

Salmon patties, parmesan risotto, roasted asparagus, broccoli, fruit

Waffles, eggs, sausage, fruit for kids/Indian style curry with shrimp, chickpeas and veggies, quinoa, frozen TJ's samosas

Pork chops, garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed brussels sprouts, broccoli, fruit

#2234 of 3134 Old 11-10-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight I'm just having bacon and whiskey chili from the freezer. Tomorrow I think I'm going to make beef stew with red red wine and herbs de provence. 

#2235 of 3134 Old 11-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Haven't really planned out this week yet, but did prep some food yesterday, so I have grilled chicken breast (some whole, some chopped for salad) in the fridge, crockpot baked potatoes (some eaten today), some leftover rice and vegetarian Thai green curry. Tonight will be frozen ravioli, sauce, maybe some of the chicken and some veg/salad.

#2236 of 3134 Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

We got our first snow here today, with just a light dusting over everything. Totally reinforced my desire for stew, so I've got the beef stew perking away on the stove. I love winter foods. 

#2237 of 3134 Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Tonight is her first birthday, we're having her grandparents and the three girls still living at home over for chili and fresh bread. That's what I made the day I had her, she likes chili, and its easy to feed a crowd. I'm also either having chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting or brownies....

#2238 of 3134 Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Yep, 'tis the season....  for soups and stews etc. DD saw snowflakes yesterday. I missed them - by the time I found outdoor shoes and a wrap they had stopped. 

Last night I made lentil soup. I have maple and bacon baked beans in the oven for tonight. They have been slow-baking for a while now. 

Hm, maybe I'll put beef stew on next week's menu. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a real snowfall by then, not just a few flakes.  

#2239 of 3134 Old 11-12-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

No more snow here today sadly, but it was cold enough that yesterday's tiny accumulation didn't melt. 

Tonight I'm making baked chicken thighs with a honey mustard glaze, and veggies. Trying to debate on mashed potatoes or noodle or croissants... haven't decided yet. 

#2240 of 3134 Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 PM

Had a boring taco salad for dinner, but found this cool recipe. Hope to make it for Thanksgiving:

Kale and Goat Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes

http://www.veggiebelly.com/2011/11/kale-goats-cheese-mashed-sweet-potato.html

#2241 of 3134 Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Gotta say - thank you for starting this thread. In between exhaustion, and extreme hunger I seem to reach for the worst things to eat - this is giving me the inspiration I need to get back to cooking and not hurling lol 

#2242 of 3134 Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchoppers View Post

Gotta say - thank you for starting this thread. In between exhaustion, and extreme hunger I seem to reach for the worst things to eat - this is giving me the inspiration I need to get back to cooking and not hurling lol 

I just like to eat. :-) You'll find some great idea here - we've got a lot of good cooks about!

Tonight I made shepherd's pie again - we are in full on casserole/stew mode now that the cold weather looks like its here to stay for awhile. 

#2243 of 3134 Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM

I'm actually sticking to my menu plan so far this week! We've had the roast beef sandwiches, chicken parmesan, and shrimp curry. Tonight is ground turkey tacos/tostadas and tomorrow is pizza friday and I already have the dough made :)

All week, I have been meaning to try out this recipe for almond poppy seed bread http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/12/almond-poppy-seed-bread/  I think my kids will like it, I certainly do, but I want to do a trial run because I think mini loaves would make nice Christmas gifts this year. We really don't do adult presents in our families anymore, except for grandparents, but I would like to make something small to share.

I haven't made it yet because I caved and bought a Danish kringle from Trader Joe's, they are bringing them in from a bakery, and it is soooo good. Definitely meeting my scandinavian craving for almond.

#2244 of 3134 Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

colemom - I love almonds in baked goods. Almond croissant, princess torte, and those yummy Swedish Easter things with the whipped cream & marzipan mmmmmmmmmmm

I'm making a bean-vegetable stew right now. Throw in the crockpot: 1 onion chopped, 2 garlic cloves minced, some frozen corn, 1 sweet potato diced, 2 zucchini diced, 1 lg. (28 oz.) can pinto beans rinsed, 1 14 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes & half a small can of chipotle peppers & sauce. I made chili like this with black beans & other veg last week & it was a hit.

#2245 of 3134 Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 PM

I made chicken and rice casserole with green beans, carrots with chicken breasts on top of the rice and vegetables. Some butter and I boiled the broth snd veggies and added the rice. I didn't have my glasses on so I sprinkled garlic powder on top thinking it was dried onions. I don't like garlic powder. I hope it's not too garlicky. Then some biscuits and fruit to fill the plate.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#2246 of 3134 Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well... we're trying the Campbell's Skillet Sauces tonight... but I can explain! They were giving the full size packets out for free outside my building at work, so I got a few of the Asian Sesame ones. I am totally the demographic they're trying to market to - the busy working mom who prefers to cook from scratch, but could use a little help in the kitchen...

So I served it with chicken and spaghetti noodles as noodle bowls. It's super easy - cook your chicken and noodles as normal, then combine both and pour the sauce over and heat through. But I'm happy to admit I didn't fall prey to the marketing - I wouldn't spend the money on it. It wasn't that much a time saver (it really only takes a few minutes to whip up a sauce like this) and the mouth feel wasn't that great. It was very, very gummy - it comes out of the package at the proper consistency, so it's just gummy, instead of reduced properly or thickened on heat. And being a prepackaged item, it was a bit high on the salt for our tastes. 

So, we'll eat them if we get them for free again - they're decent - but they haven't won a new customer in me. Oh, and I should say too - the portion size is skimpy against the proposed price point. It made enough for two good sized noodle bowls, with no leftovers. So if you were feeding a family or wanted lunch leftovers (though I can't imagine this reheats well since it starts off gummy) you're going to need probably four packets. And they're almost $2 each - so that's $8 for a sauce! Expensive. If you want a sauce like this, you'd be better off buying a bottle of stir fry or teriyaki sauce for $2 and getting many meals out of it. 

#2247 of 3134 Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Thx for the review! I have found Frontera skillet sauces to be good, but that is the only product of this type I have tried. We occasionally cook up mashed tofu with them for tacos.

Speaking of being a busy mom, I was just at TJ's and picked up fish sticks and tater tots for a quick meal Mon. night when I have school, a bag of frozen shrimp for pasta & shrimp later in the week, a pkg. of cut-up chicken hoping that DH will make roasted chicken and vegetables Sunday, and various and sundry lunch stuff (applesauce, dried fruit, pita chips and black bean chips). Ordering out tonight because my cousin is coming over and going out tomorrow due to an event - peace out until Monday!

#2248 of 3134 Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Thx for the review! I have found Frontera skillet sauces to be good, but that is the only product of this type I have tried. We occasionally cook up mashed tofu with them for tacos.

Speaking of being a busy mom, I was just at TJ's and picked up fish sticks and tater tots for a quick meal Mon. night when I have school, a bag of frozen shrimp for pasta & shrimp later in the week, a pkg. of cut-up chicken hoping that DH will make roasted chicken and vegetables Sunday, and various and sundry lunch stuff (applesauce, dried fruit, pita chips and black bean chips). Ordering out tonight because my cousin is coming over and going out tomorrow due to an event - peace out until Monday!

No problem - have a good weekend!

Tonight husband and I going out on a kid-free date! We have having Panera with a gift card we have, and seeing a movie with a Groupon I got for $3 for both of us. A $3 night on the town! We're so excited! 

#2249 of 3134 Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Last night we did pasta and home canned pasta sauce with olives and mozzarella. Oh, and garlic toast. Tonight we will have something fast. Either left overs or probably sandwiches. Something fast because I'm leaving for a hair appointment with my MIL right before he gets home, so we won't eat till I get back. I'd just pick something up, but my suggestion has been of this week so that's probably not the best idea ever. Lol Tomorrow either spaghetti or steak and potatoes. The other the next day. Then left overs.

#2250 of 3134 Old 11-16-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Last night we did pasta and home canned pasta sauce with olives and mozzarella. 

Now that is the way to go for a quick meal. Next summer, I'm canning my own pasta sauce. I always just can plain tomatoes since they're more versatile, but then I end up buying jarred pasta sauce from the store for "emergency" dinners. That's silly.

I'm really on the fence about what to have for dinner tonight. I can't decide between chicken noodle soup and bolognese. Maybe I'll do the soup tonight, and the bolognese tomorrow, since the bologese is better for lunch leftovers...

MrsKoehn likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page