Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 77 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 187Likes

Old 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Tonight - doctored Annie's mac and cheese with pesto, chili-garlic sauce & peas because I am running off to take a final

Tomorrow - something with a pound-and-a-half of ground beef I have defrosting in the fridge; maybe meatballs, spaghetti squash and couscous

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
egg frittttas in chicken fat, with home made sundried tomatoes and oregano still producing in the garden.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Shepherd's pie with ground turkey here. I had an epiphany though - husband likes peas in it and I don't, so I'm only putting them in one half of the filling on one side! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tonight, we're going to have leftovers: turkey meatballs in a tomato sauce, shrimp with asparagus, and lasagne soup. I have recently discovered Nigella's recipe for butternut squash (I peel it, chop it, cook it til just tender in the microwave, then pan- or oven-roast it) with pecans and blue cheese. I could eat this dish every day, for every dinner! It is truly my new favorite! I guess I am mentioning it because I WISH we were having it for dinner. :)

Laurie wash.gif (44), wife to DH thumb.gif(60), mama to DS guitar.gif (18), DS reading.gif(6), DSD heartbeat.gif(15), and DD (4)jog.gif 
Old 12-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Turns out DH finished up the spaghetti squash, so I had to nix the spaghetti and meatballs idea. Pushed the ground beef to tacos tomorrow and instead made vegetable-bean soup: garlic sauteed in olive oil, can of fire roasted tomatoes, can of cannelini beans, some frozen mixed veg, leftover veg broth, plus lemon pepper/smoked paprika and a dash of sriracha. Mmmmmmm... and super easy.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

We also decided to do soup here today - it got to 15 below after the wind chill out by us! So I made a pot of Thai noodle soup. Tomorrow I'm thinking about doing a simple bean soup, provided I remember to put the beans to soak tonight. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted pasta tonight, so I made a simple white bean pasta, with some onion, garlic, a little diced carrot and thyme. Simple and tasty!

Old 12-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Well I'm back! We were in OK from the 25th to the 10th. The only cooking I did was tamales last Friday. Shockingly, even my uber picky Dad liked them! This week Is my freezer stash time. So it's been hot dogs, Annie's Mac, beans, sandwiches. I think I'll thaw chili for tonight and spaghetti sauce for tomorrow. Monday will be left overs or quasadilas. Tuesday I'm shopping and will pick something up.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Last night we had leftover bean pasta. I have no idea what I'm doing tonight. Something the makes enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I kind of want bacon & whiskey chili, but I'm not sure I actually have either of those things in the house right now... 

Old 12-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Slight chance in plans. Chili was last night, bit Pinto beans and cornbread tonight, probably shopping tomorrow, so I'll get something then. Maybe frozen natural chicken or something quick. Or I'll thaw the spaghetti. Decisions, decisions.

This morning I made a generations-old family recipe for schwebischer hefenkrunz (A German coffee cake... But it's a bread) with a new twist. I made half a recipe in the bread machine on manuel. Much easier even than in the Kitchen Aid. Then we had breakfast in bed with Dad. Mmmmm

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 12-15-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Just figured out what to make for dinner - Cincinnati chili. Fits the chili craving and I have all of the ingredients for it. Just put the beans to soak - cutting it a little close, but I'll get them cooking in a few hours, I should still be able to eat by 7 or 8. 

Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM

On the menu plan this week:

Sun. - Panini (cheese or cheese and ham) and salad

Mon. - Pasta, sauce, salad/vegetable (DD1 request)

Tue. - Tater tots, chicken/veg option, vegetable plate (DD2 request)

Wed. - Thai curry w/ vegetables and rice

Need to grocery shop now. There is a grocery store going out of business in the area, so I may stop there for the 50% off sale if I can stomach it. Tried Friday, but had to turn back due to the crazy long lines and crabby people.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Need to grocery shop now. There is a grocery store going out of business in the area, so I may stop there for the 50% off sale if I can stomach it. Tried Friday, but had to turn back due to the crazy long lines and crabby people.

Go for it - it's calmed down considerably. I've gone several times between yesterday and today and I only had to wait in line for maybe 10 minutes each time. Still found a lot of great stuff at my store, and they even restocked the yogurt and croissants. I found some killer deals and the pantry is full. I got close to $300 worth of stuff for just under $100 (since I had coupons too). 

Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Go for it - it's calmed down considerably. I've gone several times between yesterday and today and I only had to wait in line for maybe 10 minutes each time. Still found a lot of great stuff at my store, and they even restocked the yogurt and croissants. I found some killer deals and the pantry is full. I got close to $300 worth of stuff for just under $100 (since I had coupons too). 

Oh, great! I think I will go, then! Money is somewhat tight this month (we just replaced our 13-yr. old van with an almost new used car), but if I could squeeze out $50 to spend, that would be a big help with the food budget next month. Thanks for chiming in :)

Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Today we had spaghetti from the freezer when u got back from the grocery. Tomorrow I'm likely making tamales for him to take to work, so we'll eat that. Wednesday I am not cooking under any circumstances. It's my 34th birthday, so we'll go out. Preferably halfway healthy. smile.gif After that, shepherd's pie, and I forget.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, great! I think I will go, then! Money is somewhat tight this month (we just replaced our 13-yr. old van with an almost new used car), but if I could squeeze out $50 to spend, that would be a big help with the food budget next month. Thanks for chiming in :)

Hope you find some good stuff! 

Tonight we just had leftover Cincinnati chili. I need to think of something quick and different for tomorrow... 

Old 12-17-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

We're trying round two on the pineapple chicken over rice. I added some scallions for a little green this time, and hopefully I won't over-thicken the sauce like I did the last time I made it. 

Old 12-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Going out for my 34th, we'll see what I have. My 18 & 12 yr old sils are making my cake right now. Pumpkin cake with Pecan cream cheese frosting. Very rich, but so good!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Going out for my 34th, we'll see what I have. My 18 & 12 yr old sils are making my cake right now. Pumpkin cake with Pecan cream cheese frosting. Very rich, but so good!

Happy Birthday! Hope you get something good for your dinner. :-)

Husband made an excellent pot roast in the crockpot before he went to work. He used a nice cut of beef roast, and added potatoes, carrots, celery and whole cloves of garlic. And instead of the dark ale we usually use, he used Anchor Steam Lager - it's so good! I just scarfed a plate and will be going back for seconds momentarily... 

Old 12-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Hope you find some good stuff! 

Tonight we just had leftover Cincinnati chili. I need to think of something quick and different for tomorrow... 

Thanks, kitchensqueen! I went this morning. It wasn't too crowded, and I got some staples like veg broth, seltzer water, taco shells, peanut butter, crackers, and also some treats - canned crab meat (crab dip for Xmas), salami, baby oysters, frozen egg rolls, frozen natural pizza, six packs of San Pellegrino. And cheese! Everyone in line was complaining that the liquor was cleaned out except for cheap, nasty white wine. LOL I'm happy, though, all told, $140 in groceries cost me $68. Might go back for salsa and salad dressing - tons of that left.

PS Lest I sound too gleeful, I did tell the checker how sorry I was that the store was closing and wished her well.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Happy b-day, MrsKoehn! Cream cheese frosting is so, so good. I wouldn't even need the cake...

Old 12-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:

We also decided to do soup here today - it got to 15 below after the wind chill out by us! So I made a pot of Thai noodle soup. Tomorrow I'm thinking about doing a simple bean soup, provided I remember to put the beans to soak tonight. 

Kitchensqueen, how do you make the Thai noodle soup? Is it coconut based? I need a new Thai dish to make. I usually buy the tubs of red or green curry paste and throw that in with some coconut milk and whatever veggies I have, sometimes tofu. I think the fam is tired of it, though, and I love rice noodles.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks, kitchensqueen! I went this morning. It wasn't too crowded, and I got some staples like veg broth, seltzer water, taco shells, peanut butter, crackers, and also some treats - canned crab meat (crab dip for Xmas), salami, baby oysters, frozen egg rolls, frozen natural pizza, six packs of San Pellegrino. And cheese! Everyone in line was complaining that the liquor was cleaned out except for cheap, nasty white wine. LOL I'm happy, though, all told, $140 in groceries cost me $68. Might go back for salsa and salad dressing - tons of that left.

PS Lest I sound too gleeful, I did tell the checker how sorry I was that the store was closing and wished her well.

You got some good deals! They were out of San Pellegrino at my store - lucky! And I did the same thing with all of my checkers... it's got to be incredibly tough to lose a job this time of year. 

Quote:

Kitchensqueen, how do you make the Thai noodle soup? Is it coconut based? I need a new Thai dish to make. I usually buy the tubs of red or green curry paste and throw that in with some coconut milk and whatever veggies I have, sometimes tofu. I think the fam is tired of it, though, and I love rice noodles.

Well... Thai noodle soup is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like 'Vaguely-Asian-Inspired-Noodle-Soup-For-Boring-Suburban-People' - I adapted it from some random generic cookbook someone once gave me as a gift. That being said, here's how I make it - 

Saute 1 diced carrot, 3-4 sliced scallions, 3 diced cloves of garlic and a large teaspoon of fresh grated ginger until just softened. Add 1 package of chicken (sometimes I use breast tenders, sometimes thighs) and brown it. Add 8 cups of chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add in two cups of shelled edamame. While the soup is boiling, cook 4 packages of ramen noodles in salted water (just the noodles - discard the flavor packets). Once the chicken is cooked through, serve the soup over the noodles. So not really Thai in any way, but pretty tasty. 

Tonight we needed quick and easy since we did grocery shopping so we had beans and franks with baked potatoes. And it hit the spot. 

Old 12-19-2013, 08:29 PM

DDs were at a friend's tonight, so DH and I had ham sandwiches for dinner. After re-arranging the freezer to fit my clearance purchases, I have a whole chicken and two pkgs. of sliced beef short rib defrosting in my fridge. I may let DH make the chicken, and I will make the short rib Korean style with rice and kimchi. Looking forward to those frozen pizzas (something we never buy) for post-holiday-craziness dinners.

Aaaaand DD2 requested spaghetti tacos for dinner. She is helping make them, so who am I to say no?

Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM

Tell me about spaghetti tacos!

Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was a good day and meal. Ana made new friends with everyone, the place was packed with a big party on each end and people all over. I had grilled peppered flat iron steak, garlic mashed potatoes and roasted veggies. He had a budget and fries. We came home to the in-laws, coffee and that lovely cake. I pick at the frosting every time I'm in the vacinity. Hehe

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Oh, tonight is shepherds pie. Tomorrow, chicken and rice. Gonna try it in the crockpot.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM

So it morphed into chicken and gravy over noodles. Tomorrow well eat the chicken pot pie the girls sent over. Monday left overs, Tuesday next door at the in laws, probably Christmas too.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Tell me about spaghetti tacos!

Spaghetti tacos - something my DD2 likes to make. It's basically pasta, sauce & browned ground beef mixed together served in taco shells :-D

Old 12-22-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I'm making turkey noodle soup with leftover meat and stock from the freezer for lunch, but I have no idea what I'm doing for dinner tonight. Husband is working a day shift and will be home for dinner, so I'll likely wait for him to get home and ask his input. 

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Our Christmas dinner tonight will be our version of a traditional Norwegian meal - Norwegian meatballs with dill gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts with Dijon mustard sauce, ligonberries and croissants. We'll have a tiny shot of Acquavit for our toast, then glogg with the meal. Christmas cookies and cranberry bread for dessert. 

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and an excellent dinner! 

User Tag List