Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 79 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 178Likes

#2341 of 3622 Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Tonight was roll-your-own sushi: brown sushi rice + nori sheets + fillings: cucumber, avocado, crab & mayo, flying fish roe. Result of a long-awaited trip to the big Asian food store. Aaaaaah!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2342 of 3622 Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Tonight it's Loaded Veggie Nacho Soup from the Minimalist Baker blog (with some adaptations and some added frozen vegetables):

http://minimalistbaker.com/loaded-veggie-nacho-soup/

Tomorrow chicken drumsticks and chap chae (Korean noodles with vegetables).

#2343 of 3622 Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Keep meaning to rejoin this thread for some new, hopefully simpler, dinner ideas.  I feel like I'm cooking ALL DAY lately! 

So, tonight was a navy bean/kale/country ham soup with southern-style corn bread.  It was delicious. 

Tomorrow...I think we're doing split chicken breasts with tarragon, mashed carrots and rutabaga, and roasted potatoes.  Argh.  Just typing it out makes it seem like too much cooking :)

#2344 of 3622 Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Husband made dinner tonight - chicken with gravy with steamed rice and veggies on the side. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2345 of 3622 Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post
Tomorrow...I think we're doing split chicken breasts with tarragon, mashed carrots and rutabaga, and roasted potatoes.  Argh.  Just typing it out makes it seem like too much cooking :)

:-) Sometimes we just have the roasted potatoes! (with toppings)

#2346 of 3622 Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Husband made tomato soup with meatballs and croissants on the side before he went to work. Not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2347 of 3622 Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had bacon chicken burger yesterday.

http://momsbreakingboundaries.com/ - My blog about making money online as a stay at home mom.
#2348 of 3622 Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 AM

Two disasters in a row - my quinoa pasta was too old and refused to cook, my "lazy" jar of pasta sauce was way too sweet, my meatball mix smelled funny so I had to trash it. Next night I attempted too much and got all harried. My chicken smoked up the house when I seared it, oil splattered all over the floor and everything was slippery, I finally got it up to temp, started on my pan sauce and noticed pink juice on the chicken plate. Argh!

Tonight - a simple vegetable soup.
#2349 of 3622 Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Two disasters in a row - my quinoa pasta was too old and refused to cook, my "lazy" jar of pasta sauce was way too sweet, my meatball mix smelled funny so I had to trash it. Next night I attempted too much and got all harried. My chicken smoked up the house when I seared it, oil splattered all over the floor and everything was slippery, I finally got it up to temp, started on my pan sauce and noticed pink juice on the chicken plate. Argh!

Tonight - a simple vegetable soup.
Hope that went better, days like that make me so frustrated, I want to cry.

Today's dinner is salsa chicken casserole. It's baking now, 5 min to throw it together, 1 hr to cook.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#2350 of 3622 Old 01-11-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Our main meal was lunch today since husband works tonight, so he made balsamic chicken with egg noodles and green beans. I'll have another serving my dinner later. 

#2351 of 3622 Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Not even sure. It's noon and I just had a cereal bar and coffee earlier. I was waiting on him to get up. When he finally did, I showered, then she was ready for a nap. And here I am. Hungry. Was planning chicken alfredo, but I have more left overs from yesterday than I planned. But he also wants to go to the gas station and get burritos....

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#2352 of 3622 Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

No idea here either - we also had a late lunch, and then we have to go to husband's holiday party for work. When you work retail, the parties are in January. So their store is closing an hour early at 7:00 for it, but we still won't get there until 8:00... they're supposed to have food there, but my god - I'm usually in pajamas at that point on Sunday, curled up in front of Downton Abbey! And I haven't been feeling good this weekend, so getting up and dolled up at that hour on a Sunday night is not really sounding like my idea of a good time. Anyhow, I'm going to stop hijacking this thread with my whining. If I were 23 I'd be excited about a night out like this! 

#2353 of 3622 Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

No idea here either - we also had a late lunch, and then we have to go to husband's holiday party for work. When you work retail, the parties are in January. So their store is closing an hour early at 7:00 for it, but we still won't get there until 8:00... they're supposed to have food there, but my god - I'm usually in pajamas at that point on Sunday, curled up in front of Downton Abbey! And I haven't been feeling good this weekend, so getting up and dolled up at that hour on a Sunday night is not really sounding like my idea of a good time. Anyhow, I'm going to stop hijacking this thread with my whining. If I were 23 I'd be excited about a night out like this! 

I hear ya!

Just pasta, sauce and meatballs here tonight. I have to meal plan for the week. One night will for sure too busy for anything but TJ's frozen pizza!

#2354 of 3622 Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I hear ya!

Just pasta, sauce and meatballs here tonight. I have to meal plan for the week. One night will for sure too busy for anything but TJ's frozen pizza!

Funny how things change, isn't it! Your pasta sounds good - that's what I could really go for. But I ended up pulling chili out of the freezer because it's quick and already made. Took out some chicken to defrost for tomorrow - I've got some "Asian mix" veggies in the freezer, so thinking about trying another version of noodle bowls for tomorrow. 

#2355 of 3622 Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dinner here was sausage and perogies. Funny how moving to  a very Ukranian area has put those on the menu on a relatively frequent basis. It's going to be an 'eat from the pantry' week until I can go shopping Wednesday, tomorrow will involve butter chicken on rice for lunch and spaghetti for dinner though, so it should be a tasty  bare cupboards week anyway. 

#2356 of 3622 Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:

If I were 23 I'd be excited about a night out like this! 

I'm not much for late nights either. Mornings are best. Lol I left the family party at 8 on New Years Eve and went to bed. I can get up at 4 easier than stay up to 10. Lol

Tinnitus is left overs so I can shop tomorrow

#2357 of 3622 Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM

OK, meal planned for the week:

Tonight - Thai red curry/tofu soup and rice

Thurs. - TJ's frozen mini-pizzas (DD1 has high school curriculum night, and DD2 has Girl Scouts)

then in no particular order

- Spaghetti & pesto

- Spinach crustless quiche

with whatever veggies or salads I can scrounge up. One will be coleslaw w/ lime vinaigrette because I have a head of cabbage.

#2358 of 3622 Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

I'm not much for late nights either. Mornings are best. Lol I left the family party at 8 on New Years Eve and went to bed. I can get up at 4 easier than stay up to 10. Lol

Tinnitus is left overs so I can shop tomorrow

For me, it's more of being a home body - I can stay up fairly late with a good book, for example. And no matter how early I go to bed, I am not a morning person. All the same, we had a pretty good time, and it was nice to go out together. 

Tonight I made a cross between shepherd's pie and chicken pot pie - instead of the beef or ground turkey filling, I did chicken tenderloins with chicken gravy, covered with a layer of mashed potatoes and baked. It turned out really well - I am really loving the shepherd's pie template of casseroles this winter! So many interesting flavor combinations to play with, and it's a one-dish supper (not literally I suppose, but the end result). 

#2359 of 3622 Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Husband hasn't been feeling well and I wanted something quick, yet filling so it's soup at our house tonight. Beef stew, to be more precise. With onions, carrot and potatoes for the veg, in a red wine and beef stock broth. Seasoned with a little tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and herbs de provence. I'm also making egg noodles to serve with it, since I like to have noodles with my soups and stews. 

#2360 of 3622 Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 PM

Bacon, kale, and butternut squash. Kiwi for dessert! Ahhhhh, Paleo living smile.gif

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#2361 of 3622 Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm making kale and white bean pasta tonight. So I'm on a restricted diet for the next few weeks and can't eat any inflammatory foods. I'm basically reduced to eating potatoes, beans and leafy greens. So this is really going to challenge my cooking ability! 

#2362 of 3622 Old 01-16-2014, 06:52 PM

Fairly successful week so far for meals. 

Monday was spaghetti and meatballs with caesar salad.

Tuesday was Big Salad with avocado dressing, bacon, and black beans.

Wednesday was pork carnitas from the freezer with corn tortillas and lime cole slaw.

Tonight was slow-cooker split pea soup with country ham. 

Tomorrow I'm planning on either "Grandma" pizza or roasted chicken breasts with carrot/turnip mash, depending on how ambitious I feel after cousin-sitting day.  Friday night suppers, despite my best intentions, often turn into frozen pizza night or take-out night that we can't afford.  I don't know how you people do it who have more than one child.  It is EXHAUSTING.

#2363 of 3622 Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I'm making kale and white bean pasta tonight. So I'm on a restricted diet for the next few weeks and can't eat any inflammatory foods. I'm basically reduced to eating potatoes, beans and leafy greens. So this is really going to challenge my cooking ability! 

Oh no! I love those foods, but *only* those foods would be tough! See if you can get the book Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas. Maybe that will help with some ideas.

#2364 of 3622 Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Tuesday was Big Salad with avocado dressing, bacon, and black beans.

Mmmmm!

#2365 of 3622 Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Mmmmm!

I agree.  I think I need something along those lines on the menu for tomorrow night.  Nom. 

#2366 of 3622 Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Last night I made a lasagna with odds and ends and leftovers: one layer of leftover meaty spaghetti sauce, one layer of sauteed zucchini  and mushrooms. Had some mozzerella and parmesean, only had to buy ricotta. It came out great, and I am enjoying it for breakfast right now.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2367 of 3622 Old 01-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

Last night I made a lasagna with odds and ends and leftovers: one layer of leftover meaty spaghetti sauce, one layer of sauteed zucchini  and mushrooms. Had some mozzerella and parmesean, only had to buy ricotta. It came out great, and I am enjoying it for breakfast right now.

You're my kind of people, Mamarhu! Leftover casseroles (Mex. flavor with stale tortillas, beans, odds and ends of cheese and salsa; lasagna like the above; pasta bakes with random vegetables and cheese and half jars of sauce) are a winter staple here, and my DD1 and I love to eat leftovers for breakfast.

Tonight I'm making tacos/taco salad (each family member prefers something different) - corn tortillas, brown rice, black beans, jar of salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream, chips.

#2368 of 3622 Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Tonight is Italian potato chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and salad. Tomorrow is chili beans. Yesterday was a burger hubby brought home. The two days before were left over salsa chicken and Hawaiian sliders.

#2369 of 3622 Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Lamb with a sweet potato hash smile.gif

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#2370 of 3622 Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Tonight I had leftover pasta from last night. Tomorrow - either Thai Noodle soup or white chicken chili, if my sister gets back to me with her recipe. It does call for jalapeno, but I think I can leave it out and still have it be good (although quite a bit blander...). 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page