Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#2,052 ·
That stinks KQ! I have a hard time keeping frozen veg from getting mushy in dishes like that. You miss that crisp bite. I bet you can figure out a better recipe!

I was going to make the Italian Wonderpot tonight, then decided I didn't want to tempt myself with the noodles. I had sushi last night and realized that I cannot eat as much rice as I used to, I felt so overly full. I needed a grain free dinner to balance it out.

So, I turned the ingredients into Pizza Soup, I used chicken instead of sausage and also added peppers, mushrooms, zucchini and olives, and added some noodles to the kids' bowls and they also had a small slice of leftover pugliese bread from the other day with salami. And watermelon. Just a big ol' bowl of soup for me :)

#2,054 ·
We're having a healthier, updated version of beef stroganoff. It's okay, but not my favorite -- DH requested it. I do like that we'll have leftover sliced steak for sandwiches tomorrow -- I got a yummy baguette and aged swiss to go with those.

#2,056 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Kitchensqueen, re: Teriyaki noodle bowls. Did you use soba or somen?

Somen - http://japanesefood.about.com/od/udon/r/coldsomennoodle.htm

Soba - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soba (see pic at bottom right - soba noodle salad)

When I have cooked somen, they turn mushy quickly. The soba I use from Super-H take about 5 min. to cook. If you find a tasty, not-too-sweet teriyaki sauce, I would love the recipe!
It said soba on the package, and they were clearly buckwheat noodles, but they were really fine - almost like angel hair pasta. All of the other soba I've had has been a thicker noodle. So maybe it was just the brand I picked up? I'm going to get a couple different kinds the next time we go to Mitsuwa - they'll likely have a better selection than Woodman's did (though I do adore Woodman's!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemom View Post

That stinks KQ! I have a hard time keeping frozen veg from getting mushy in dishes like that. You miss that crisp bite. I bet you can figure out a better recipe!
Yeah, I guess I forgot that frozen veg is basically only suitable for quick steaming and almost never works in things like stirfry. And you know I will keep trying to tweak the recipe! I'll keep everyone posted.

Husband is working tonight, so I just made myself a baked potato with butter and chives because I didn't feel like cooking. Tomorrow we'll be doing a huge pork shoulder in the crockpot for pulled pork, and I have a jar of cherry barbecue sauce that my boss brought back from her vacation to Michigan. So I'm making enough to feed the coworkers that sit in my area for lunch Thursday so everyone can try the barbecue sauce.

#2,058 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

The soba I have had are the thicker ones, too. Some brands are grainier/mushier than others. Maybe it depends on the wheat/buckwheat ratio.
I think I need to put it on my to do list to research what authentic soba is supposed to be, and the best cooking method for it.

My dinner is still not done - husband's day was super hectic so the pork shoulder didn't get put into the crockpot until the afternoon. It'll probably be done around nine... so I'm having instant ramen since I'm so hungry I think my stomach is eating itself.

#2,061 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Leftover pulled pork with jalapeno cornbread here.
Yum!!! I'll have to add jalapeño to my cornbread next time. I never add anything like that because I like to eat cornbread with honey for breakfast when we have leftovers, but maybe next time I'll double the recipe so I can have a sweet and a savory.

My DH is excited for the opening night of football tonight, so we're having football food: pizza, hot wings, chips/salsa, and (to try to have some redeeming nutritional value) a green salad.

#2,062 ·
Today I'm going to grill chicken, steak and corn. My MIL gave me 3 dozen ears of corn from her garden. Hubby and I split one while I was freezing them last night. SO good!

#2,065 ·
We have so many home grown organic tomatoes from our garden, it's ridiculous. (Sadly, due to work restrictions, a child with some health issues and my own health situation I'm not going to be able to can this year.)

Tonight, I'm making stuffed tomatoes. I'll cook up some rice in our rice cooker, while it's cooking I'll hollow out about 6 tomatoes, salt them and put them to drain. I'll chop up the insides of the tomato, mix it with already made tomato sauce (canned would be fine, too) ) mix in the rice, some browned ground sirloin (TVP or mashed up veggie burger for my veggie daughter) some green beans or peas, some plain bread crumbs, some herbs and top with Panko breadcrumbs. Put in an oiled glass pan, cover with foil or parchment, bake on 350° about 30 minutes, then take the cover off and cook for 10 minutes until the Panko browns. We usually serve it with fruit in the summer or baked apples in the fall or winter.

You can also mix all the tomato stuffing goods with a beaten egg, as it will hold together better. Then put Panko on top.

#2,067 ·
I had potato pancakes topped with a basil, parsley, tomato, pine nut concoction. I have a lot of herbs in the garden to use. It was good - but a fair bit of work for a small amount of food. I am still hungry.

#2,068 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I had potato pancakes topped with a basil, parsley, tomato, pine nut concoction.
Yum!! You had me at "basil and pine nuts," but then to combine it with potatoes?!? Genius - I'll have to try that. Maybe as a side dish, since it sounds like it wasn't filling enough for a main course. But yummmm!

I went out for sushi with some girlfriends last night -- it was divine.

#2,069 ·
The weather has turned cool. Time to break out the soup/stew/casserole recipes. Last night I made a spicy red lentil dahl with basmati rice.

This week I will finally use up all those broccoli stems that I've frozen this summer. I'll use them by making broccoli and cheddar cheese soup. The stems were left over from all the broccoli salads we ate in the hot weather.

#2,070 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

The weather has turned cool. Time to break out the soup/stew/casserole recipes. Last night I made a spicy red lentil dahl with basmati rice.
Same here - kind of... it is still a bit humid today though. I'm making bacon and whiskey chili tonight, with jalapeno cornbread. The jalapeno plants in the garden are prolific this year!

#2,071 ·
Last night we had steaks, baked potatoes and broccoli. I made an extra potato and saved some steak, and made a quick hash this morning for breakfast, topped with a fried egg.

It's Sunday and I'm supposed to make soup for the week, but it's hot and humid so I'm not in the mood. I am craving comfort food, though, I should be up to the task after we go to the pool.

Tonight I am making moroccan chicken and rice, broccoli and pears. I am trying a new recipe I found on this great compilation of one pot comfort foods, so many look tasty and I think I'll try many of them http://www.marthastewart.com/275672/one-dish-dinners/@center/854190/comfort-food-recipes

I think I am going to make some banana muffins with a crumble topping today too. I have quite a few bananas in the freezer and I need something extra for lunches.

#2,072 ·
I'm baking and chilling Greek Marinated Chicken and Lemony Cucumber Couscous, respectively, from Pinterest. Just happens to be Budget Bytes site that both came from. They smell good, but I was out of parsley and substituted quinoa for the couscous.
smile.gif

#2,073 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieLC View Post

We have so many home grown organic tomatoes from our garden, it's ridiculous. (Sadly, due to work restrictions, a child with some health issues and my own health situation I'm not going to be able to can this year.)
Do you have room to freeze some of them?

Tonight I just threw together an Italian sausage and broccoli pasta. The frozen broccoli is going to be a regular on my shopping list now; it's helping us eat more veg. I'm going to get some frozen spinach this week too, and just start adding it to everything. :)

#2,074 ·
Last night I made a quick bean stew/chili: chop onion, garlic & saute, add half a bag of frozen mixed veg (I like Goya brand best), can of diced tomatoes, can of black beans, can of kidney beans, a little water if it gets dry & season with smoked paprika, cumin, S&P. Very colorful and yummy. I had mine mixed with sour cream and some Valentina hot sauce.

Tonight was veggie burgers and potato salad on the side. Too hot here to cook anything major.

Tomorrow night is school, so I will make garlic-shrimp pasta and a salad.

#2,075 ·
Quote:

The frozen broccoli is going to be a regular on my shopping list now; it's helping us eat more veg. I'm going to get some frozen spinach this week too, and just start adding it to everything. :)
I always keep frozen broccoli and spinach in the house too. I've been adding chopped spinach to pasta sauces, soups, meatballs, meatloaf, smoothies, all kinds of things since my kids were babies so they don't know any different and don't freak out about the green specks. I can't believe I actually pulled that one off! And it's good for all of us.

The moroccan chicken and rice was so good and easy. I made it with wild rice, but think I could use quinoa too. Definitely making that one again.

Last night was hamburger patties with sauteed mushrooms, roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, broccoli and pears.

Tonight I made the kids pancakes, sausages, eggs and applesauce. Throwing together an easy green curry for the mister and I with some chicken, onions, carrots, green beans, and a little red pepper, quinoa or rice (being indecisive) and maybe some samosas from the freezer (not in the mood for Taco Tuesday, we'll have fish tacos and black beans tomorrow instead)

#2,076 ·
Quote:

Tonight I just threw together an Italian sausage and broccoli pasta.
Hey, we had pasta with italian sausage last night too. With grape tomatoes and lots of basil. I tossed in some ricotta at the last minute and let it melt a little around the pasta.

Tonight, roast chicken with mashed potato, maple-glazed carrots, and roasted cauliflower. And a fresh baked boule of French Country bread. Yes, we have guests.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.