Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 89 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

#2641 of 3087 Old 04-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Bacon and whiskey chili??? That just sounds really impressive.

Trying to piece together a plan for the week. So far it looks something like this;

Sunday: Cheez-it crusted cod with salad
Monday: Lentil vegetable soup
Tuesday: Crock-pot Chicken breasts with gravy, carrots, stuffing, potatoes
Wednesday: Country ham and black eyed pea soup with kale
Thursday: Tuna noodle casserole with salad
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: TBD
#2642 of 3087 Old 04-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I pretty much have this week figured out. We went to Costco yesterday, which means I need to go to the normal grocery for a few things to round it out. I ordered some grass fed beef, but am not sure when it's being delivered. 

Tonight is salmon and seared tuna steaks on the grill (we had a couple of each in the freezer), grilled asparagus, brown rice, broccoli and strawberries.

Salmon burgers with tomato and avocado, oven fries, roasted asparagus, carrots, fruit

Bbq chicken legs, roasted sweet and colored potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, fruit

Breaded and baked cod tacos, black beans, salad, carrots, fruit

Chicken and rice with mushrooms, broccoli, fruit

Spaghetti and ground beef/chopped spinach/parm cheese meatballs, zucchini noodles, fruit

Pizza Friday, I'm getting better at the gf pizza crust thing

That's all I figure out for now :)

#2643 of 3087 Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are eating leftover Chicken and Rice....
#2644 of 3087 Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 AM

Today I'm making cottage pie after yesterday's Fred Flintstone's chunk of roast beef on the bone. I have set aside some leftover ground beef to make into a nice spag bol meat sauce tomorrow, but today I am roasting up the leftover beef bones to make an awesome gravy for our pie tonight. Yummo! 

#2645 of 3087 Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Bacon and whiskey chili??? That just sounds really impressive.

It's actually pretty easy to make - it's completely one of our standbys. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

Today I'm making cottage pie after yesterday's Fred Flintstone's chunk of roast beef on the bone. I have set aside some leftover ground beef to make into a nice spag bol meat sauce tomorrow, but today I am roasting up the leftover beef bones to make an awesome gravy for our pie tonight. Yummo! 

What's a cottage pie? 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2646 of 3087 Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

It's actually pretty easy to make - it's completely one of our standbys. :-)

What's a cottage pie? 

My phone dinged an alert just as I was about to get into bed. :rotflmao Cottage pie? That is ground beef, browned in a pan and topped with lovely buttery mashed potatoes. I think cottage pie is otherwise known in the Americas as 'potluck pie', which is really what it is: using leftover beef mixed with finely chopped vegetables inc nicely fried onion. mmm, very nice especially when topped with toasted breacrumbs mixed with strong flavoured cheddar cheese. Today I made cottage pie in a roasting tin, a trough large enough for feeding 8 greedy gannets + second helpings.

You got me peckish now. :wink 

#2647 of 3087 Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My phone dinged an alert just as I was about to get into bed. :rotflmao Cottage pie? That is ground beef, browned in a pan and topped with lovely buttery mashed potatoes. I think cottage pie is otherwise known in the Americas as 'potluck pie', which is really what it is: using leftover beef mixed with finely chopped vegetables inc nicely fried onion. mmm, very nice especially when topped with toasted breacrumbs mixed with strong flavoured cheddar cheese. Today I made cottage pie in a roasting tin, a trough large enough for feeding 8 greedy gannets + second helpings.

You got me peckish now. :wink 

Ah, yes. We actually call that "shepherd's pie" here, at least in the Midwest. It's one of my absolute favorite meals. :-) 

My bacon and whiskey chili is almost done for this evening; can't wait to dig in. As for what we'll have the rest of the week... I have no idea. Perhaps a roast chicken in there somewhere. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2648 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Ah, yes. We actually call that "shepherd's pie" here, at least in the Midwest. It's one of my absolute favorite meals. :-) 

My bacon and whiskey chili is almost done for this evening; can't wait to dig in. As for what we'll have the rest of the week... I have no idea. Perhaps a roast chicken in there somewhere."

Curiously enough, "shepherd's pie" in England is traditionally made with ground lamb. One would hardly shepherd a bull, lol. At least not Thor our grumpy Aberdeen Angus who keeps watch on his ladies of the field.

What's your bacon and whisky chilli like? Can you give me the recipe, please? I promise not to use mum Rachel's best malt in the recipe. Honestly. :wink

- - -

Tonight's dinner will be spag bol with the remaining ground roast beef. I do a mean tomato sauce into which I'll glug a glass of red wine. Spaghetti is such an economical staple for the store cupboard, full of good carbohydrates and tummy filling goodness.

#2649 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Taco Tuesday! Ground beef with my own seasoning mix over tortilla chips for my son. My husband eats it with soft tortillas, onions, cilantro and hot sauce. My son also ate some left over peas and black beans and rice.

My daughter and I ate a salad of lettuce, chic peas, celery, avocado, tomatoes and onions with Italian dressing. I also made a cucumber salad with adobe seasoning, sour cream, lemon juice and onions.

The kids drank organic lemonade with a splash of water.  I drank wine. Not sure what my husband drank. 

For desert, my daughter and I split 2 peanut butter cups (Justin's organic with dark chocolate...I found them at Marshalls...YUM!)

#2650 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Curiously enough, "shepherd's pie" in England is traditionally made with ground lamb. One would hardly shepherd a bull, lol. At least not Thor our grumpy Aberdeen Angus who keeps watch on his ladies of the field.

What's your bacon and whisky chilli like? Can you give me the recipe, please? I promise not to use mum Rachel's best malt in the recipe. Honestly. :wink

It's quite possible that's what "shepherd's pie" started out as here as well, though many, many people (myself included!) seem to use it to mean any type of ground meat casserole that's topped with mashed potatoes. 

My bacon and whiskey chili is posted on my blog. Just don't tell your mum you used the good stuff until after she tastes it. ;-)

Tonight we had the last of the pasta bolognese leftovers. I'm trying to think of what we can do that's quick and easy for tomorrow night, since it's a yoga night for me. I've really had a hankering for herb salad (frisee and assorted fresh herbs) with ham and a champagne vinaigrette, but we're at least six weeks out on fresh herbs from the garden so that's probably not going to happen...Maybe chicken and dumplings will suffice instead. 

#2651 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM

I'll have to try that recipe sometime when the idea of chili stops repulsing me :)  It sounds really, really good in my head, but when I think about eating it...nope. Not yet. 

Tonight I made a black-eyed pea/country ham/kale soup with southern-style cornbread.  I am in love with that cornbread recipe, and the soup turned out a success, too.  My DD ultimately opted for cottage cheese, but I think she secretly liked her trial bites of soup, too :)

#2652 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:

It's quite possible that's what "shepherd's pie" started out as here as well, though many, many people (myself included!) seem to use it to mean any type of ground meat casserole that's topped with mashed potatoes. 

My bacon and whiskey chili is posted on my blog. Just don't tell your mum you used the good stuff until after she tastes it. ;-)

Tonight we had the last of the pasta bolognese leftovers. I'm trying to think of what we can do that's quick and easy for tomorrow night, since it's a yoga night for me. I've really had a hankering for herb salad (frisee and assorted fresh herbs) with ham and a champagne vinaigrette, but we're at least six weeks out on fresh herbs from the garden so that's probably not going to happen...Maybe chicken and dumplings will suffice instead. 

Thank you for the recipe and sound advice on not telling mum after she's tasted her Laphroig rare 40 year old. Hahaa - can you imagine? xD

Since you're going to be doing yoga, I'd avoid suet dumplings because much as they're wonderful comfort food, dumplings don't settle well during exercise. I work out in our home gym and paid the price. You could. . .. grill your chicken and serve it with fluffy boiled Basmati, adding some finely chopped scallions and just one stick of finely chopped celery for great flavour. Failing that, a pinch of dried parsely or basil if you have it.

Tomorrow as I'll be doing business accounts, I'm planning on making tomato soup, adding a stick of celery for great flavouring and a glug of double (heavy) cream. Served with bruschetta topped with sliced goat's cheese and lightly toasted, I think that will be rather yum and quite a win.

#2653 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

I'll have to try that recipe sometime when the idea of chili stops repulsing me :)  It sounds really, really good in my head, but when I think about eating it...nope. Not yet. 

Oy, that's so rough! Hopefully you get over the hump soon! :-)

Quote:

Thank you for the recipe and sound advice on not telling mum after she's tasted her Laphroig rare 40 year old. Hahaa - can you imagine? xD

Since you're going to be doing yoga, I'd avoid suet dumplings because much as they're wonderful comfort food, dumplings don't settle well during exercise. I work out in our home gym and paid the price. You could. . .. grill your chicken and serve it with fluffy boiled Basmati, adding some finely chopped scallions and just one stick of finely chopped stick of celery for great flavour. Failing that, a pinch of dried parsely or basil if you have it.

Let me know how well you like it if you make it - it's one of my all-time favorites, and I wax poetic about it. And that is a good point about having a light meal before going to yoga - I guess my salad craving was a little more in line! Though grilled chicken and rice sounds like just the ticket. I may do that instead. 

#2654 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Oy, that's so rough! Hopefully you get over the hump soon! :-)

Let me know how well you like it if you make it - it's one of my all-time favorites, and I wax poetic about it. And that is a good point about having a light meal before going to yoga - I guess my salad craving was a little more in line! Though grilled chicken and rice sounds like just the ticket. I may do that instead. 

Thanks - actually, I'll make it this weekend and perhaps serve with big baked potatoes. Spooned in chilli is wonderful.

You could jazz the grilled chicken up a bit with some mild Hungarian paprika if you have it. Or a spice rub normally used for steaks. Alternatively for the rice, buy just a few green salad chillies, removed the seeds, finely chop and add to the rice 5 mins before serving. Keep the pan's lid on to allow the chillie's aroma to develop.

#2655 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarroq View Post

Taco Tuesday! 

I drank wine.

100% what happened here tonight!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#2656 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Maybe it's because we just don't eat much lamb in the United States (at least not where I am - but yum!)

#2657 of 3087 Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Maybe it's because we just don't eat much lamb in the United States (at least not where I am - but yum!)

That may be it too. And now that it's been mentioned, I want to make one with lamb now! 

#2658 of 3087 Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 AM

While I'm going to be making soup today, also I'll make a nice thick creamy parsnip soup ahead for when our Brit weather decides to go grumpy and cold again. It will be lovely garnished with smoked bacon lardons and green pesto.

#2659 of 3087 Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Okay, we were supposed to be doing a tuna noodle casserole tonight, but then I realized it was tuna lunch day.  I'm going to use up some leftover ricotta with a creamy ricotta/greens sauce for pasta and/or cauliflower and green beans on the side.

#2660 of 3087 Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Tonight's dinner (2 posts above) was so popular that I also fried up a mass of chipolata sausages. Hardly had I brought them to the table, they all got gobbled up leaving me just the one. O.O

#2661 of 3087 Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well we ended up doing our typical busy night standby of late - half home made pizza. Works for me. 

#2662 of 3087 Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

SAT Chicken drumsticks, roasted red potatoes, salad with garlic dressing (frozen fish for DD1)

SUN Ham and/or cheese panini, salad

MON Cheese ravioli and tomato sauce, steamed broccoli

TUE Taco salad or burritos with black beans

WED Sushi rolls w/ tuna/mayo or cucumber/canned crab, edamame, maybe miso soup if we have any left

THU Pasta bake, probably with spinach and artichoke hearts

Ended up getting some smoked salmon on the way home, so I served that/chicken drumsticks with leftover brown rice & broccoli/celery with ranch dressing. Will use potatoes and frozen fish later.

Well, some of this week's plan happened! Tonight was dinner with friends, some with food limitations, so I made rice bowls with chicken thighs/tofu, asparagus/bok choy/green onion/broccoli stir-fry and choice of Vietnamese or peanut sauce. Need to regroup and plan out the rest of the week since I am out of sushi rice, do have a bag of potatoes, and need ingredients for hosting a small cocktail party Saturday evening.

#2663 of 3087 Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 AM

Spiderpig stamps her little hoofs; it's my day off from cooking today, so for tonight's dins I'm ordering an Indian takeaway. Which got cheers all round from my sisters. Juniper adores the milder peshwari chicken. Might as well start her out right. :thumb 

#2664 of 3087 Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 AM

My grass fed beef order was delivered yesterday, so we ended up having grilled rib eyes and asparagus, sautéed mushrooms and onions, roasted sweet and colored potatoes, broccoli and strawberries (I had planned on making bbq chicken legs but those steaks were so good! the chicken is easily saved in the freezer)

Tonight is fish tacos, black beans, avocado tomato salsa, salad, carrots and strawberries.

I'm trying to get through a certain amount of produce because we're going out of town on Sunday. I usually make pizza on Friday, but maybe I'll make pasta and meatballs instead to use up a bunch of vegetables (zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach) and maybe salmon burgers on Saturday because I can make a big pile of grilled asparagus with it (we got a huge pack from Costco and I know that won't keep)

#2665 of 3087 Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM

Brown rice and lentil casserole tonight with a salad. Possibly soup for DD who has the sniffles and feels all sorry for herself smile.gif
#2666 of 3087 Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Husband made some pan-fried chicken tonight. He had a veggie/rice mix alongside and I elected to have creamed corn. 

#2667 of 3087 Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 PM

lalalala meal planning lalalalala

Tonight was frozen fish, mac&cheese and some cut-up vegetables. Tomorrow I am hoping to make sushi. I need to get out to the store for rice.

#2668 of 3087 Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Husband made some pan-fried chicken tonight. He had a veggie/rice mix alongside and I elected to have creamed corn. 

I have to say that your Bacon & Whiskey Chili was sensational! :thumb Last night, Mark made it (he learnt to cook in his SAS regiment, no less) and went exactly to your recipe but using a measure of Bell's whisky, not mum's special. I could have licked the plate clean had Juniper not been watching. Hahaa - your chilli recipe was absolutely delicious - thank you for the link!

Now, tonight I'm going to make our family's alternative chilli that originated by celebrity chef Simon Hopkinson, called 'World Cup Chilli Con Carne'. It's similar, but without the scotch, but added with fresh jalapeños for a nice kick. I'd be delighted to share this splendid chilli recipe - where may I post it?

#2669 of 3087 Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have to say that your Bacon & Whiskey Chili was sensational! :thumb Last night, Mark made it (he learnt to cook in his SAS regiment, no less) and went exactly to your recipe but using a measure of Bell's whisky, not mum's special. I could have licked the plate clean had Juniper not been watching. Hahaa - your chilli recipe was absolutely delicious - thank you for the link!

Thank you - I'm glad you liked it. :-)

Tonight we splurged and ordered in (though I did use a restaurant.com certificate for a little discount) and got Sweet Baby Ray's. I had pulled pork and fries, husband had brisket and fries and Little Man ate some fries, along with cheese from home and a fruit pouch. The kid will still not touch meat with a ten foot pole...

#2670 of 3087 Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a sick little one so I made a pot of Chicken and Rice Soup....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page