Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 91 - Mothering Forums
First ... 41  81  89  90  91 92  93  101  ... Last
Meal Planning > Dinner - What Are You Having?
Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 01:30 PM 04-17-2014

On the subject of fish (said f.fingers tonight were yummy!), tomorrow I'm making a fish pie. Add some sliced hard boiled egg to the haddock/cod mixture, make a creamy parsley sauce and top it with lovely fluffy buttery mashed potatoes. You just can't hurry a good fish pie.  :)

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:23 PM 04-17-2014

Half home made pizza here tonight while we watch the first Hawks play offs game. Though I'm pretty annoyed, because husband is insisting on watching it on the tiny laptop monitor, instead of our 56 in screen tv. What is that point of that? And more importantly, why did we spend the money on the tv if we can't watch the bleeping hockey game on it!? But I digress... 

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 08:28 PM 04-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Half home made pizza here tonight while we watch the first Hawks play offs game. Though I'm pretty annoyed, because husband is insisting on watching it on the tiny laptop monitor, instead of our 56 in screen tv. What is that point of that? And more importantly, why did we spend the money on the tv if we can't watch the bleeping hockey game on it!? But I digress... 

You have a - 56in telly? Gosh! 0_o

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 08:33 PM 04-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post

You have a - 56in telly? Gosh! 0_o

Yeah, it was our tax return splurge/treat from last year. Every year we save 90% of our tax return, and use 10% as a family treat. We really like our hockey, and we found a good deal, so here we are with a giant-sized tv. :-) Which we are not using for said hockey today, grrrr! 

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 02:58 AM 04-18-2014
Quote:

Yeah, it was our tax return splurge/treat from last year. Every year we save 90% of our tax return, and use 10% as a family treat. We really like our hockey, and we found a good deal, so here we are with a giant-sized tv. :-) Which we are not using for said hockey today, grrrr! 

I admire your budgeting, yet investing in a telly that has, I expect, become the central entertainments hub in your home. Is your's a Smart tv? get You Tube etc? Ours is a Samsung 32" flatty, but old. You've helped me decide to replace it. :)

I'm waiting for a tax rebate which last year I overpaid. There was some 'ock up over my income tax where I got done 40%, so I got my accountant to put a bit of stick around. The rebate is due in June.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 03:19 PM 04-18-2014

It's not a smart tv or anything; just a regular flat screen. And I don't know if I'd call in the central entertainment hub; we actually don't watch that much. PBS and hockey mostly. 

Tonight I'm making vegetable soup. 

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 03:55 PM 04-18-2014

Tonight was a mish-mash of party canapes, but I managed to grab several sausage rolls and quite the most delicious home made hummus containing roasted red peppers. Very yum.

OkiMom's Avatar OkiMom 05:06 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:

It's not a smart tv or anything; just a regular flat screen. And I don't know if I'd call in the central entertainment hub; we actually don't watch that much. PBS and hockey mostly. 

Tonight I'm making vegetable soup. 

About 5 years ago we got a flat screen TV thinking "oh this would be great for movies/sports". I think in 5 years we might have turned it on 10 times. Ended up selling it and getting a projector that we can put up when not in use. Now everyone asks "where the tv" when they come over but we never have missed it.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:48 PM 04-18-2014

We do watch a fair bit of hockey, so it's been a worthwhile investment. But it's certainly not the center of our home. 

Instead of just regular vegetable soup, I ended up going with minestrone. I remembered I had some zucchini from the garden in the freezer still, so I had all of the stuff! 

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 07:01 PM 04-18-2014

Presently I'm eating a Pot Noddle Curry Flavour, ramped up with 2 splots of Lee&Perrins and a jolly good good shake of hot cayenne. :yum

newmamalizzy's Avatar newmamalizzy 08:05 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:

Presently I'm eating a Pot Noddle Curry Flavour, ramped up with 2 splots of Lee&Perrins and a jolly good good shake of hot cayenne. :yum

Hah!  I was just thinking about making a big cup noodle that we have hanging around in the pantry.  It's been bugging me, and I can only think of one good way to get rid of it :)  Think I'll go make it now...

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 05:29 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Hah!  I was just thinking about making a big cup noodle that we have hanging around in the pantry.  It's been bugging me, and I can only think of one good way to get rid of it :)  Think I'll go make it now...

Noodles are so versatile. They're perfect for combatting late night carbohydrate cravings when Little Spiderpig has woken me.

- - -

Dinner tonight is Indian food, the full moo. Mark is cooking up a storm in the kitchen and is best left to his own devices. Glad he drives my Kenwood Chef a lot slower than his car. 

Ragana's Avatar Ragana 01:43 PM 04-19-2014

Last night - nachos. Tonight - spaghetti and meatballs. Tomorrow is Easter at my aunt's - I'm bringing a relish tray and Bloody Mary's :-)

On the menu this week:

* Veg and bean soup

* Black bean tacos

* Thai curry soup with tofu and rice noodles

* Homemade sushi

DuchessTergie's Avatar DuchessTergie 02:40 PM 04-19-2014

Our TV hasn't been unpacked from our move. 5 months ago. Looks like we don't miss it much. :)

I made okonomiyaki last night, a favorite comfort food from when I lived in Japan. I make an easy version--my favorite pancake recipe with half the flour, thinly sliced cabbage, a handful of shredded mozzarella, and chopped raw shrimp. I cook it just like a pancake, and top with mayo and BBQ sauce. It sounds awful but it really is delish--even the kids love it. If I could track down fish flakes I'd add it to the mix, too. Yum! (Really if I could get my hands on authentic mochi and fresh ramen that would go in the batter as well.) 

Tonight is roasted chicken and roasted spring veggies with lemon dill vinagrette. Hopefully I'll have enough veggies to add to a salad later in the week or puree into a soup if we have another cold day next week. 

DuchessTergie's Avatar DuchessTergie 02:42 PM 04-19-2014

Also, I made baked eggs for the first time today. It was so great-- like a pizza dip! I just baked eggs over marinara sauce in a small ramekin, then topped with parmesan. It is pretty soupy, so we dipped buttered toast into it. I think it could be very versatile by changing up the herbs and cheese and maybe even using different breads. 

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 02:45 PM 04-19-2014

Mark's awesome Easter curry, followed by a rather boozy English trifle.

colemom's Avatar colemom 03:34 PM 04-19-2014

What a week. Survived 5 days staying with my MIL and the kids had a blast, then came home to a sick dog that had to be put down, cancer finally caught up with my sweet boy :( Trying to get it together for the school week.

Last night we were all down in the dumps, so we had bbq ribs on the grill, four cheese risotto, a big salad, broccoli and strawberries. And chocolate silk pie for dessert.

Tonight we're having salmon burgers with tomato and avocado, roasted red potato wedges, steamed artichokes, carrots, and strawberries.

We're going to my parents for Easter brunch tomorrow, they're making brioche french toast with strawberries, bacon, sausages, not sure what my brother's family is bringing, and we're bringing deviled eggs and champagne and orange juice for mimosas. The kids will have an egg hunt after we eat. Tomorrow night I'll make a ham, cheesy hash brown casserole (found a recipe that doesn't use cream soup), sesame asparagus, broccoli and fruit. We love having leftover ham, I see a bean soup in my future!

On the menu for the rest of the week:

Fish tacos (breaded and baked cod), black beans, salad, carrots, fruit

Grilled rib eyes, sautéed mushrooms and onions, roasted sweet and colored potatoes and brussels sprouts, broccoli, fruit

Moroccan chicken and rice with chick peas, broccoli, fruit

GF waffles, eggs, sausages, fruit for kids/Seared tuna steaks, cauliflower, and quinoa for adults

Pizza Friday with a GF crust for the kids, carrots fruit/take out for adults

colemom's Avatar colemom 03:41 PM 04-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post

Also, I made baked eggs for the first time today. It was so great-- like a pizza dip! I just baked eggs over marinara sauce in a small ramekin, then topped with parmesan. It is pretty soupy, so we dipped buttered toast into it. I think it could be very versatile by changing up the herbs and cheese and maybe even using different breads. 

Years ago, I saw an episode of Lidia's Italy where she made a slow cooked eggplant sauce, then used the leftover sauce that way. She cracked an egg over it, baked it until done but still with a runny yolk, and dipped crostini slices in it. I've made it before and it's super good! (this is not my blog, but the first place I found the recipe today) http://italian-ate.com/2011/09/25/two-hour-eggplant-sauce/

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:11 PM 04-19-2014

Despite the fact that we have a ton of soup in the fridge from yesterday, we didn't feel like eating it two days in a row so I ended up cooking. Made gramigna all salsiccia e vino since I wanted pasta and we haven't had that in awhile. 

Ragana's Avatar Ragana 08:44 PM 04-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessTergie View Post
I made okonomiyaki last night, a favorite comfort food from when I lived in Japan. I make an easy version--my favorite pancake recipe with half the flour, thinly sliced cabbage, a handful of shredded mozzarella, and chopped raw shrimp. I cook it just like a pancake, and top with mayo and BBQ sauce. It sounds awful but it really is delish--even the kids love it. If I could track down fish flakes I'd add it to the mix, too. Yum! (Really if I could get my hands on authentic mochi and fresh ramen that would go in the batter as well.) 

I have always heard of okonomiyaki, but haven't made it. I occasionally make Korean pancakes, usually with kimchi. I like the green onion ones, too.

The baked eggs sound good - another thing I haven't made, but that's been bookmarked forever! The Spanish version with goat cheese cooked in tomato sauce with crusty bread is also delicious.

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 03:56 AM 04-20-2014

We've still got a ton of Indian curry left over from yesterday, but I've stored it one of our freezers for another day. As Mark is away racing Bentleys with his club at Silverstone, I'm doing a pair of great Sunday lunches: Traditional roast chicken, and Toad in The Hole with delicious onion gravy. It's an all time fave among my famiily, the 'toad, and as the weather has gone grumpy, why not? Vicki and I have made two batches and a 2nd chicken roast. Tomorrow will be lovely chicken soup maybe turned into Mulligatawny from some of Mark's splendid curry. :yum

waywornwanderer's Avatar waywornwanderer 05:08 AM 04-20-2014
Thought I'd share my Easter supper here:

**grilled rosemary/garlic leg of lamb
**ellinikos lemoni patatas (lemon potatoes)
**grilled asparagus

Homemade peanut butter filled choco eggs for dessert. We tried to keep it simple this year, but still special.
DuchessTergie's Avatar DuchessTergie 04:07 PM 04-21-2014

Tonight was albondigas soup from Simply Recipes. It was delicious, but I"ll halve the liquid next time-- I don't think it will reheat well for lunch tomorrow (brown green beans don't do it for me, or for my kids). Overall, it was good, budget-friendly, and I enjoyed the combination of herbs. 

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 04:21 PM 04-21-2014

I froze the chicken stock down for the planned Mulligatawny to make for a rainy day, as doubtless we'll be seeing more April showers before the month is out. Instead I made a splendid Indian meal called Banarasi Aloo Dum which consisted of mixed vegetables from the garden cooked with yoghurt, almond powder, butter, coconut, fresh cream and mango slices. In the silken, creamy mixture I added some cut medium-sized potatoes and a couple of chillies from my greenhouse. They gave just a hint of a kick without overpowering the dish. To mop up the deliciousness, Kitty made some lovely hearthbread. We finished with homemade vanilla ice cream with slices of fresh peeled orange.

Jupiper wanted more. And got it.

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 07:22 PM 04-21-2014

I'm pretty annoyed. I'm eating plain egg noodles cooked in chicken stock, because I have a stomach situation. My MIL has an issue with shrimp. Every time we get together, they bring shrimp cocktail, and half the time the shrimp is rancid. Well, this time it smelled and looked okay, so I ate maybe half a dozen. Come to find out the bottled cocktail sauce she brought had dairy in it! 15+ years of her knowing that both her son and I are lactose-intolerant, and she brings crap with dairy. I didn't think to read the label myself, because you know - who forgets a detail like that after 15+ years!?

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 07:59 PM 04-21-2014
Quote:

I'm pretty annoyed. I'm eating plain egg noodles cooked in chicken stock, because I have a stomach situation. My MIL has an issue with shrimp. Every time we get together, they bring shrimp cocktail, and half the time the shrimp is rancid. Well, this time it smelled and looked okay, so I ate maybe half a dozen. Come to find out the bottled cocktail sauce she brought had dairy in it! 15+ years of her knowing that both her son and I are lactose-intolerant, and she brings crap with dairy. I didn't think to read the label myself, because you know - who forgets a detail like that after 15+ years!?

i think you should tell her. Or better still, find a suitable card depicting a lavatory. If she doesn't get the hint by then, she really is dense. I'm sorry you're having a rough night. :Hug 

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 08:02 PM 04-21-2014

She texted my husband earlier to ask how our day was and he told her she'd made us sick with the bleeping cocktail sauce. Apparently she texted back "sorry" and then changed the subject. Grrrrr. 

Ragana's Avatar Ragana 07:33 AM 04-22-2014

Ugh! Hope your stomach gets better soon!

Last night DD1 and I had pizza out after an appointment, DH was off to teach a night class, and DD2 ate at a friend's. We did have Reese's peanut butter eggs I got at Target on clearance for dessert - OK, enough with the Easter candy! :-)

Tonight I am roasting chicken w/ potatoes. It will have to involve onions. Our family colors Easter eggs with onion skins, and my mom unloaded a whole bag of peeled onions on me.

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig 10:08 AM 04-22-2014

Braised Mark and parboiled nanny. Tonight we've having cottage pie made from ground beef with a fluffy potato topping mixed with cheese that needs eating up, Kitty's special gravy and homegrown veg: Baby carrots, dwarf green beans and fried tomatoes on the side sprinkled with herbes de Provence. Dessert is English Trifle

kitchensqueen's Avatar kitchensqueen 06:26 PM 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Ugh! Hope your stomach gets better soon!

Last night DD1 and I had pizza out after an appointment, DH was off to teach a night class, and DD2 ate at a friend's. We did have Reese's peanut butter eggs I got at Target on clearance for dessert - OK, enough with the Easter candy! :-)

Tonight I am roasting chicken w/ potatoes. It will have to involve onions. Our family colors Easter eggs with onion skins, and my mom unloaded a whole bag of peeled onions on me.

Thanks - I'm feeling a lot better today. Roasted chicken sounds really good!

Quote:

Braised Mark and parboiled nanny. Tonight we've having cottage pie made from ground beef with a fluffy potato topping mixed with cheese that needs eating up, Kitty's special gravy and homegrown veg: Baby carrots, dwarf green beans and fried tomatoes on the side sprinkled with herbes de Provence. Dessert is English Trifle

Sounds like you've had an interesting evening...

I'm making scalloped potatoes with some of the leftover Easter ham tonight. It's my first experience cooking with almond milk instead of soy, so I'm hoping I'm favorably impressed with the flavor. It cooked up quite nicely into a sauce. 

First ... 41  81  89  90  91 92  93  101  ... Last

Up