Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#2,277 ·
Last night I made ricotta gnocchi, perfect to warm up cold bellies. With a simple tomato basil sauce, zucchini noodles, broccoli, garlic bread and apples.

Not sure what I'm doing for tonight, but do have my menu for the week:

Moroccan chicken and rice with chick peas, broccoli, fruit

Ground beef tacos/tostadas, salad, carrots, fruit

Salmon, parmesan risotto, sautéed brussels sprouts, broccoli, fruit

Quiche (sausage, spinach, mushroom, bell pepper, cheese), roasted sweet potatoes, fruit

Turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sautéed brussels sprouts, broccoli, fruit

Turkey tetrazzini, broccoli, fruit

I'm leaning toward quiche or salmon tonight. We usually have tacos on Tuesdays because we have gymnastics after school and it's easy to make beforehand.

#2,279 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

It sure did snow!
I love it! Well, I mean - trudging up South Wacker with ice crystals blowing into my face and dodging falling chunks off ice coming off the high rises to get into the office this morning wasn't so great, but other than that - love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiePie View Post

Tonight is venison broccoli and colorful potatoes.
That sounds so good!

Tonight we're doing a little something different - I made pineapple chicken stir fry type thing. The recipe is literally just chicken and pineapple over rice with a pineapple/wine/soy sauce sauce though, so it's really begging for veg. Next time I'm going to add in fresh scallions at the end, and maybe cashews. But so far the flavor is great!

#2,280 ·
Grilled chicken breast (yes, I still grill...it's still in the 80s here) with salt and cracked pepper for husband. Roasted pork for son (from deli hot case). Breaded catfish for daughter and I (from deli). Random sides of black beans and rice or lima beans or mac and cheese (from deli). Milk for kids....water for me and husband. A piece of mint chocolate cookie fudge shared by my daughter and I for dessert. My daughter has tennis at 5:30 on Mondays so it kills any plans of actually cooking....which doesn't happen often to begin with.

#2,281 ·
Tonight - doctored Annie's mac and cheese with pesto, chili-garlic sauce & peas because I am running off to take a final

Tomorrow - something with a pound-and-a-half of ground beef I have defrosting in the fridge; maybe meatballs, spaghetti squash and couscous

#2,284 ·
Tonight, we're going to have leftovers: turkey meatballs in a tomato sauce, shrimp with asparagus, and lasagne soup. I have recently discovered Nigella's recipe for butternut squash (I peel it, chop it, cook it til just tender in the microwave, then pan- or oven-roast it) with pecans and blue cheese. I could eat this dish every day, for every dinner! It is truly my new favorite! I guess I am mentioning it because I WISH we were having it for dinner. :)

#2,285 ·
Turns out DH finished up the spaghetti squash, so I had to nix the spaghetti and meatballs idea. Pushed the ground beef to tacos tomorrow and instead made vegetable-bean soup: garlic sauteed in olive oil, can of fire roasted tomatoes, can of cannelini beans, some frozen mixed veg, leftover veg broth, plus lemon pepper/smoked paprika and a dash of sriracha. Mmmmmmm... and super easy.

#2,288 ·
Well I'm back! We were in OK from the 25th to the 10th. The only cooking I did was tamales last Friday. Shockingly, even my uber picky Dad liked them! This week Is my freezer stash time. So it's been hot dogs, Annie's Mac, beans, sandwiches. I think I'll thaw chili for tonight and spaghetti sauce for tomorrow. Monday will be left overs or quasadilas. Tuesday I'm shopping and will pick something up.

#2,290 ·
Slight chance in plans. Chili was last night, bit Pinto beans and cornbread tonight, probably shopping tomorrow, so I'll get something then. Maybe frozen natural chicken or something quick. Or I'll thaw the spaghetti. Decisions, decisions.

This morning I made a generations-old family recipe for schwebischer hefenkrunz (A German coffee cake... But it's a bread) with a new twist. I made half a recipe in the bread machine on manuel. Much easier even than in the Kitchen Aid. Then we had breakfast in bed with Dad. Mmmmm

#2,292 ·
On the menu plan this week:

Sun. - Panini (cheese or cheese and ham) and salad

Mon. - Pasta, sauce, salad/vegetable (DD1 request)

Tue. - Tater tots, chicken/veg option, vegetable plate (DD2 request)

Wed. - Thai curry w/ vegetables and rice

Need to grocery shop now. There is a grocery store going out of business in the area, so I may stop there for the 50% off sale if I can stomach it. Tried Friday, but had to turn back due to the crazy long lines and crabby people.

#2,293 ·
Quote:

Need to grocery shop now. There is a grocery store going out of business in the area, so I may stop there for the 50% off sale if I can stomach it. Tried Friday, but had to turn back due to the crazy long lines and crabby people.
Go for it - it's calmed down considerably. I've gone several times between yesterday and today and I only had to wait in line for maybe 10 minutes each time. Still found a lot of great stuff at my store, and they even restocked the yogurt and croissants. I found some killer deals and the pantry is full. I got close to $300 worth of stuff for just under $100 (since I had coupons too).

#2,294 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Go for it - it's calmed down considerably. I've gone several times between yesterday and today and I only had to wait in line for maybe 10 minutes each time. Still found a lot of great stuff at my store, and they even restocked the yogurt and croissants. I found some killer deals and the pantry is full. I got close to $300 worth of stuff for just under $100 (since I had coupons too).
Oh, great! I think I will go, then! Money is somewhat tight this month (we just replaced our 13-yr. old van with an almost new used car), but if I could squeeze out $50 to spend, that would be a big help with the food budget next month. Thanks for chiming in
:)

#2,295 ·
Today we had spaghetti from the freezer when u got back from the grocery. Tomorrow I'm likely making tamales for him to take to work, so we'll eat that. Wednesday I am not cooking under any circumstances. It's my 34th birthday, so we'll go out. Preferably halfway healthy.
smile.gif
After that, shepherd's pie, and I forget.

#2,296 ·
Quote:

Oh, great! I think I will go, then! Money is somewhat tight this month (we just replaced our 13-yr. old van with an almost new used car), but if I could squeeze out $50 to spend, that would be a big help with the food budget next month. Thanks for chiming in
:)
Hope you find some good stuff!

Tonight we just had leftover Cincinnati chili. I need to think of something quick and different for tomorrow...

#2,298 ·
Going out for my 34th, we'll see what I have. My 18 & 12 yr old sils are making my cake right now. Pumpkin cake with Pecan cream cheese frosting. Very rich, but so good!

#2,299 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Going out for my 34th, we'll see what I have. My 18 & 12 yr old sils are making my cake right now. Pumpkin cake with Pecan cream cheese frosting. Very rich, but so good!
Happy Birthday! Hope you get something good for your dinner. :)

Husband made an excellent pot roast in the crockpot before he went to work. He used a nice cut of beef roast, and added potatoes, carrots, celery and whole cloves of garlic. And instead of the dark ale we usually use, he used Anchor Steam Lager - it's so good! I just scarfed a plate and will be going back for seconds momentarily...

#2,300 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Hope you find some good stuff!

Tonight we just had leftover Cincinnati chili. I need to think of something quick and different for tomorrow...
Thanks, kitchensqueen! I went this morning. It wasn't too crowded, and I got some staples like veg broth, seltzer water, taco shells, peanut butter, crackers, and also some treats - canned crab meat (crab dip for Xmas), salami, baby oysters, frozen egg rolls, frozen natural pizza, six packs of San Pellegrino. And cheese! Everyone in line was complaining that the liquor was cleaned out except for cheap, nasty white wine. LOL I'm happy, though, all told, $140 in groceries cost me $68. Might go back for salsa and salad dressing - tons of that left.

PS Lest I sound too gleeful, I did tell the checker how sorry I was that the store was closing and wished her well.

#2,301 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKoehn View Post

Happy b-day, MrsKoehn! Cream cheese frosting is so, so good. I wouldn't even need the cake...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.