Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#2,302 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

We also decided to do soup here today - it got to 15 below after the wind chill out by us! So I made a pot of Thai noodle soup. Tomorrow I'm thinking about doing a simple bean soup, provided I remember to put the beans to soak tonight.
Kitchensqueen, how do you make the Thai noodle soup? Is it coconut based? I need a new Thai dish to make. I usually buy the tubs of red or green curry paste and throw that in with some coconut milk and whatever veggies I have, sometimes tofu. I think the fam is tired of it, though, and I love rice noodles.

#2,303 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Thanks, kitchensqueen! I went this morning. It wasn't too crowded, and I got some staples like veg broth, seltzer water, taco shells, peanut butter, crackers, and also some treats - canned crab meat (crab dip for Xmas), salami, baby oysters, frozen egg rolls, frozen natural pizza, six packs of San Pellegrino. And cheese! Everyone in line was complaining that the liquor was cleaned out except for cheap, nasty white wine. LOL I'm happy, though, all told, $140 in groceries cost me $68. Might go back for salsa and salad dressing - tons of that left.

PS Lest I sound too gleeful, I did tell the checker how sorry I was that the store was closing and wished her well.
You got some good deals! They were out of San Pellegrino at my store - lucky! And I did the same thing with all of my checkers... it's got to be incredibly tough to lose a job this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Kitchensqueen, how do you make the Thai noodle soup? Is it coconut based? I need a new Thai dish to make. I usually buy the tubs of red or green curry paste and throw that in with some coconut milk and whatever veggies I have, sometimes tofu. I think the fam is tired of it, though, and I love rice noodles.
Well... Thai noodle soup is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like 'Vaguely-Asian-Inspired-Noodle-Soup-For-Boring-Suburban-People' - I adapted it from some random generic cookbook someone once gave me as a gift. That being said, here's how I make it -

Saute 1 diced carrot, 3-4 sliced scallions, 3 diced cloves of garlic and a large teaspoon of fresh grated ginger until just softened. Add 1 package of chicken (sometimes I use breast tenders, sometimes thighs) and brown it. Add 8 cups of chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add in two cups of shelled edamame. While the soup is boiling, cook 4 packages of ramen noodles in salted water (just the noodles - discard the flavor packets). Once the chicken is cooked through, serve the soup over the noodles. So not really Thai in any way, but pretty tasty.

Tonight we needed quick and easy since we did grocery shopping so we had beans and franks with baked potatoes. And it hit the spot.

#2,304 ·
DDs were at a friend's tonight, so DH and I had ham sandwiches for dinner. After re-arranging the freezer to fit my clearance purchases, I have a whole chicken and two pkgs. of sliced beef short rib defrosting in my fridge. I may let DH make the chicken, and I will make the short rib Korean style with rice and kimchi. Looking forward to those frozen pizzas (something we never buy) for post-holiday-craziness dinners.

Aaaaand DD2 requested spaghetti tacos for dinner. She is helping make them, so who am I to say no?

#2,305 ·
Tell me about spaghetti tacos!

Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was a good day and meal. Ana made new friends with everyone, the place was packed with a big party on each end and people all over. I had grilled peppered flat iron steak, garlic mashed potatoes and roasted veggies. He had a budget and fries. We came home to the in-laws, coffee and that lovely cake. I pick at the frosting every time I'm in the vacinity. Hehe

#2,307 ·
So it morphed into chicken and gravy over noodles. Tomorrow well eat the chicken pot pie the girls sent over. Monday left overs, Tuesday next door at the in laws, probably Christmas too.

#2,310 ·
Our Christmas dinner tonight will be our version of a traditional Norwegian meal - Norwegian meatballs with dill gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts with Dijon mustard sauce, ligonberries and croissants. We'll have a tiny shot of Acquavit for our toast, then glogg with the meal. Christmas cookies and cranberry bread for dessert.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and an excellent dinner!

#2,311 ·
We're having venison stew tonight, maybe with cornbread. Depends how long it takes to get this overtired girl to sleep and how hungry E is when he gets home.
Tomorrow was going to be pasta and salad, but my mil's friend gave me some tamales she recently froze, so that, rice and beans tomorrow. Probably pasta Saturday. Sunday I'm planning on Tuna Cheese Half Moons. Childhood favorite!

#2,313 ·
We're having a delayed Christmas dinner today. I'm planning: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, roasted potatoes, sausages, baked sweet potatoes, baked beans, split pea soup with ham, marinated cucumbers, fried broccoli. It might sound like a lot but my extended family is picky, the guests will have to bring a dish or two they would eat. For dessert we have ice cream cake, shortbread cookies, fruitcake and a fruit platter. Again some people will eat none of those.

#2,315 ·
Nothing special here either. Tuna cheese half moons. But hubby's cousin and family are coming over this afternoon/evening to have them with us. She's bringing a salad, and I have left over gluten free chocolate cake and cream cheese icing for dessert. Tomorrow, left overs.

#2,317 ·
I made sausage and bean pasta. I desperately wish I had some kale or something to put into it. After the richness of the holidays, I just want greens. And of course we don't have any! That's the one thing I am looking forward to the most when we finally get a house - having a year round garden out back with kale, scallions and greens all winter!

#2,318 ·
I cooked two nights in a row! Tonight I made pasta and (tiny salad style) shrimp sauteed with butter, oil and garlic with a squeeze of lemon. I also made a salad with lettuce, carrots, mushrooms and avocado and Italian dressing. My daughter had some left over chicken I made last night since she doesn't eat shrimp. We drank grape juice with a splash of water (my son drank milk). For dessert, the kids had Publix cookies and cream frozen yogurt.

#2,320 ·
Yesterday we had Subway while we shopped, then he had hotdogs and Ana and I had grapes for supper.
Today my mil is making tamales and I made a Bacon, Cheddar Jalapeño Cheese Ball. Well, it's almost finished. I stuck it back in the fridge because it was too sticky to ball well. Then crust it with jalapeño, toasted pecans and bacon. Mmmm
Tomorrow, I think steak and potatoes with a salad.

#2,324 ·
I have come down with a cold, but DH still wants to have friends over for dinner, so he is making beef stew. Otherwise I need to meal plan for the rest of the week and next week. Back when I feel better!
fever.gif

PS Happy new year, everyone!!
champagne.gif
May 2014 be a tasty one!
partytime.gif

#2,325 ·
Feel better soon, Ragana!

Tonight is Stuffed Pepper Casserole. Tomorrow I plan the last venison steaks.

Oh, you guys will appreciate this. I just got a pizza stone and pizza peel in FedEx! That will be used Sunday.... If I can wait that long. Maybe we need bread with the steak....

#2,326 ·
Wedge salad ( usually don't eat iceberg lettuce but wedge salads are so pretty and yummy !) Broiled fish and sweet potatos... simple yet yummy dinner :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.