Forum Jump: 
 177Likes

Old 05-16-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapigeon View Post

Pastrami and saurkraut sandwiches with fries. :yum  So much cheaper to have at home!

That sounds really good!

I'm making garlic noodles from Budget Bytes tonight. Though I did feel the need to tweak the recipe slightly and punch up the garlic flavor a bit. I added chicken to mine, and once it was nicely browned, I deglazed the pan with about a quarter cup of white wine, and dumped in some garlic powder and a dash of onion powder. Then I sauteed the green onions and fresh garlic for a minute, added the sauce and tossed with the noodles. 

We'll know in a few minutes whether it's a good or not. 

ETA - it's really good! Definitely add the extra garlic and white wine to the recipe though - gives it that little extra oomph. And I used regular spaghetti instead of angel hair, but I do like noodles with a nice bite. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Ohhhh....I am so going to make those garlic noodles!!! They look like the lo-mein at the restaurante my 6 year old wishes she could have...we are soy free so I will sub coconut aminos for the soysauce smile.gif
Old 05-16-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

We grilled cheese sammies over here. I use homemade white bread (I know, so bad. But so good! and my DD is actually not able to process whole grains very well- she's on the GI 2 Diet, so white bread is best for us right now), spread one side of both bread pieces with Kerrygold, and then fill 'er up with pesto//goat cheese//sharp white cheddar//tomato//arugula. And for dessert, we split one filled with goat cheese and apricot preserves. It's one of my husband's all time favorite dinners, it's easy, and it's vegetarian. (We don't do meat on Fridays).

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
Old 05-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

We went to Portillos. Chicken tenders and fries for Little Man and I, burger and onion rings for husband. I also had a bowl of chili but it was so over salted I could barely eat it. 

We seem to have been on the same track last week! I gave up on making dinner and took the girls out to Noodles & Co.

Last night was dinner at my sis's - she made pot roast, so I brought roasted sweet potato and lemon-garlic asparagus.

Tonight out again - taking DD1 to a vegetarian restaurant.

On the plan for next week so far: Thai curry noodle soup, baked or roasted potatoes with toppings.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:

I'm making garlic noodles from Budget Bytes tonight.

Mmmm! I am eyeing the Bahn Mi Bowls maybe for next week.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Husband is working tonight, so I may make up another batch of the garlic noodles for myself tonight! They were that good! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 05-17-2014, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are doing spaghetti tonight- just a throw together quick meal as I have minimal ambition. 

Old 05-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had tacos. I stuck 2 portions or ground beef in the small crock last night, then drained the fat this morning, took about half and put it in the fridge for chili beans tomorrow. I seasoned what was left with taco seasoning. Easy to keep warm, okay, so I slightly burnt it. Then I warmed up the shells and pulled out toppings.
The beans are slow cooking, so I can throw chili together in the morning. I hate his weekend work schedule. By the time I clean up breakfast, she's ready for a nap. Then it's a race to get food cooked before he leaves. It might change for the better overall soon. We'll see.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Not sure about dinner tonight, but I'm going to put some cube steak in the slow cooker for tomorrow. Maybe for soft tacos?

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Old 05-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Mussles for tonight along with some corn on the cob, and steak for the non-seafood people here. And a tomato, onion, and cucumber salad- because I must have one. :)

Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Quinoa "salad"- cold quinoa dressed with avocado oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic, sea salt, fresh basil, tomatoes, cannellini beans, goat cheese, red onion, avocado, and kalamata olives.

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Tomorrow: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/05/baked-lemon-pasta/

Much more indulgent!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Chili beans here

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

We had spaghetti with turkey meatballs and parmesan peas. 

For the coming week we are planning:

Giada's salmon with pineapple and avocado, with broccoli.

Salmon alfredo with spring green salad.

Spring chick pea minestrone.

And then we're off camping for the long weekend.  Planning to make a bunch of cold salads - potato salad, pasta salad, broccoli salad, kale salad, and serve those alongside grilled steaks one night and hot dogs the next. 

Old 05-18-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I made up a big freezer batch of gfdfsf Chicken Tenders so my 6 year old filled up on those and and Cantelope slices...
Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 AM

Had baked potatoes, roasted cauliflower, and lime-red cabbage slaw last night. On the plan so far for this week:

Mon - Spaghetti and salad

Tue - Thai curry soup with brown rice noodles

Wed - Lentil stew with Field Roast sausage

Thu - Dinner at mom's, probably bringing a rice noodle-vegetable salad

Fri - ?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Husband made turkey burgers for dinner tonight. He's going to have his on bread as burgers, and I made an onion and mushroom sauce to have mine as Salisbury steak. Tater tots and peas on the side. 

Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Husband made turkey burgers for dinner tonight. He's going to have his on bread as burgers, and I made an onion and mushroom sauce to have mine as Salisbury steak. Tater tots and peas on the side. 

Yum! Turkey burgers sound really good.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 AM

Yikes. I really need to get back to good meal-planning. I've been flying by the seat of my pants for a few weeks now, never planning a meal more than a day or two ahead of time (but mostly "planning" it that day, sometimes only as dinnertime quickly approaches). 

Today, I have no clue what we're eating for dinner. Goodness. I suppose it'll be salmon burgers, since we have some of the pre-made ones from Costco in our freezer, and some leftover buns. What are your favorite ways to dress up a salmon burger? I can't eat eggs (so no tarter sauce, mayo, or mayo-based dressings) because my nursling is allergic. 

Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Avocado!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 AM

I started following this thread at post #1 about a month ago, and tried to play catch up so I wouldn't miss any of the great ideas. Today, I got to page 75 and said "screw it!". There is just NO WAY I'm ever catching up, so I'll start following in the current season :)

I'm a soon-to-be first time mom (due 8/27), I work about 60 hours a week between rotations and actual money making, and my fiancé has erratic hours, so dinner is sometimes packed up to go, sometimes leftovers. I'd love it if you guys could share some of your favorite freezer-feeding recipes for when the baby comes! I'm great at throwing together quick dinners from fresh ingredients, but not so great when it comes to properly preparing things to have at a later date.

What we're eating:

Sunday: quick homemade macaroni and cheese with broccoli

Monday: large spinach salad with some romaine tossed in, slivered green onion tops and campari tomatoes with an EVOO and red wine vinaigrette, french bread slices smeared with gorgonzola and more EVOO, and Ben & Jerry's Phish Food for dessert (yum!)- the rest for lunch today

Tonight: oven baked tilapia with a garlic pepper onion "crust" (just crushed crispy onion salad topper that needs to be used), baked sweet potatoes and sautéed spinach with garlic. If I'm being honest, we'll probably finish off the pint of ice cream too! ;)

The fiancé is off tomorrow, so I'll see if I can coerce him into grilling some chicken and corn on the cob for me- we might even be able to work on the baby's room a little bit! 

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Pork roast with mixed veggies. 

Chelci  Anthony, parents to:  E- 11/2006, A- 07/2008, and K- 09/2014.
A Few Facts About Our Family  

Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Locally made honey garlic sausages grilled (outside if the rain stops) with some salad, and sweet potato wedges.  I am looking for all things sweet today. 

Old 05-20-2014, 03:51 PM

Left overs, and we will have that most of not all week. Fine with me, I'm not feeling like cooking anyway.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yum! Turkey burgers sound really good.

My husband has a magic recipe - ground up rice crispies, Worcestershire, soy sauce, ground onion and salt and pepper. They're so good! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywornwanderer View Post

I suppose it'll be salmon burgers, since we have some of the pre-made ones from Costco in our freezer, and some leftover buns. What are your favorite ways to dress up a salmon burger? I can't eat eggs (so no tarter sauce, mayo, or mayo-based dressings) because my nursling is allergic. 

One of my favorite toppings for salmon is spicy honey mustard - honey, dijon mustard, and a healthy dose of cayenne pepper. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragolina View Post

I'd love it if you guys could share some of your favorite freezer-feeding recipes for when the baby comes! I'm great at throwing together quick dinners from fresh ingredients, but not so great when it comes to properly preparing things to have at a later date.

My freezer favorites are bolognese, bacon and whiskey chili, seasoned ground meat for tacos, coffee cake and pumpkin muffins. 

Dinner for us tonight is bamee noodles with barbecue pork. I wanted something light because it's so ridiculously hot here, but I'm kind of defeating the purpose by running the oven to cook the pork. Oh well. 

Old 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Those all sound delicious! Do you just brown and season the beef then freeze for tacos? How do you reheat it?

Pumpkin muffins, yum! I just made a batch of banana blueberry oat muffins to freeze, but I'd love your recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragolina View Post

Those all sound delicious! Do you just brown and season the beef then freeze for tacos? How do you reheat it?

Pumpkin muffins, yum! I just made a batch of banana blueberry oat muffins to freeze, but I'd love your recipe if you don't mind sharing.

For the beef - yep, just brown and season, then into the freezer in dinner-sized portions. To use, after it's defrosted I actually like to heat it through on the stovetop with just enough beer to moisten the meat, so it doesn't dry out. Beer adds a nice bit of flavor, but you could use plain water if you wanted to. 

My pumpkin muffin recipe is posted on my blog. Along with most of the other stuff that is in regular rotation at my house. ;-)

ETA - I should say too - absolutely feed the freezer before the baby comes. Even just chopping veg and freezing it is great. It was one of the best things I did before I had my son, and probably the number one piece of advice I would give a new mom. That and stocking up on toiletries and dry goods for a few months. You don't want to have to worry about running out for toilet paper when your brain is fried from no sleep with a newborn! 

Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Philly cheesesteaks tonight! :yum

Fragolina, I recommend using a crockpot/slow cooker as much as possible. You can throw your ingredients in in the morning, and then dinner is ready with no worries! My favorite thing to eat post baby was beef stew. Making it in the crockpot was great!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 PM

Dinner tonight is a mix of grillable stuff and an Asian salad with ginger dressing. Hot dogs for the kids who want those, grilled pork cutlet for another and veggie burger for me.

I am hoping grilling will help with my weird pregnancy issue of being unable to eat anything if I have to smell it cooking for more than 10 seconds.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Philly cheesesteaks tonight! yummy.gif

Fragolina, I recommend using a crockpot/slow cooker as much as possible. You can throw your ingredients in in the morning, and then dinner is ready with no worries! My favorite thing to eat post baby was beef stew. Making it in the crockpot was great!

I've had some really bad experiences with crock pots, and some really good ones. What is your favorite beef stew recipe for the CP? I had one once that was essentially the fattiest chuck roast you could find with a diced onion, a bag of baby carrots and a packet of onion soup mix- it was amazing and I have no idea why!!

User Tag List