Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#4,697 ·
I have a plan! :thumb

Weds. - Buffalo chickpeas, kale, potatoes
Thurs. - Frozen potato-cheese pierogi, salad
Fri. - Pizza on a store-bought crust, vegetables with ranch
Sat. - Baked mac & cheese, broccoli

Need to think about making the next two weeks as easy as possible, because it is going to be crazy work-wise! Fortunately, this week I was able to freeze one container of red lentil taco meat and one container of roasted tomato sauce, so I can do tacos and pasta again next week. I'll probably get some frozen dumplings, too.

#4,698 ·
Winging it without a plan this week. Crazy, right?!?!?

Monday I discovered that my pot roast was missing. I whipped together a pressure cooker broth with a few freezer pork chops added in and we used linguine to make "ramen" topped with shredded pork, sliced green beans, buttered corn, and boiled eggs. Proud of that one :)

Tuesday the girls had leftover soup and I had a green salad with carrot/ginger dressing and shredded rotisserie chicken.

Tonight I'm planning on using the leftover salad stuff with store bought chicken nuggets and some sort of veggie soup. I have another batch of broth humming away. Might just drink it along side.

Tomorrow I want to get some bacon and make mini BLTs on leftover slider buns.

And Friday baked potatoes with broccoli and....not sure :)

#4,699 ·
I think it's going to be fish and chips again tonight. Make it at least once a week, esp when I'm caught unprepared for dinner. At least it's homemade fries (baked in oven) with olive oil and herbs for flavour. The french fry cutter hubby picked up a few months ago has gotten plenty of exercise! It's quick and the fries are appreciated all around. Fish is plentiful in our freezer, and I've gotten pretty good at pan frying the fillets so the kids will like them. That and some salad and steamed veg and we're good to go. DVD from the library for the kids so they'll be entertained in the meantime. Hopefully. ;)

#4,710 ·
Me, either!!

This is what I've made lately:

Sunday - pasta with homemade tomato sauce & spinach (the tom. sauce was clearance tomatoes from the grocery store plus tomato paste and a lot of garlic)

Monday - knock-off Yumm bowls (Oregonians will be familiar with this!) My DH brought back some Yumm sauce from Oregon, so we made rice & bean bowls topped with various taco toppings and this sauce

Tuesday - I think today will be some type of Thai curry with noodles

#4,713 ·
Been eating out a lot due to lots of weekend activities (that preclude me from going to the grocery store) and we were out of town last weekend. Also going out of town for soccer tourney this weekend so didn't buy much.

Last night: Leftover Mexican-style cauliflower rice / lentils from the freezer. Made some rice and beans for DD. DS and I had both mixtures on sprouted grain wraps with a bit of cheese, lettuce, and avocado.

Tonight: Quinoa vegetable soup.

Tomorrow: Leftover soup (most likely) or whatever else is in the fridge. We usually eat out on Friday nights.

Reactions: Ragana
#4,717 ·
Tues - Ended up having doctored ramen (actually instant rice noodles) - with tofu and a sauteed vegetable mixture plus sauces
Weds - Panini with sauteed mushrooms and onions
Thur - Pasta with red sauce planned for tonight - this time out of a TJ's can (appointment tonight)
Fri - Probably frozen pizza and a nice big salad!

As you can tell from the above, I'm in a low cooking-mojo cycle! It happens every so often. I'll have to peruse my Pinterest, which I mainly use as a cookbook, and get excited about making some healthy dinners next week.

#4,721 ·
Definitely have to get myself into summer cooking mode. No more soup :(

Tonight I made tacos with buttered corn and saut?ed yellow squash on the side.

Tomorrow will be leftover corned beef and cabbage with pierogies.
Ha! DS told me yesterday that he's "not a fan of soup...I like chili." Um, ok...the veggie soup had tomatoes, onions, beans. Like, I don't know, CHILI! Geesh.

So DH came home for lunch and we ate the leftover soup. Took the kids out for dinner last night (I know), I had a slice of pizza, DS had a sub, DD had pasta (plain) with meatballs.

Tonight is Food Truck Friday at our neighborhood pool...yay for summer!!

Reactions: Ragana
#4,723 ·
Monday - birthday dinner out
Tuesday - baked potatoes in the crockpot with smoked salmon, sour cream, cheese, etc. DH had a fried egg on his.

Nothing too exciting yet this week :) but a small victory - I made a big pitcher of lemonade (1 c. lemon juice, 2/3 c. sugar, about 8 c. water) and a gallon of iced tea (8 tea bags, gallon of tap water) for probably $2. Whoo hoo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.