Mothering Forum banner

Dinner - What Are You Having?

180K views 5K replies 253 participants last post by  annwlenox 
#1 ·
I didn't see a recent active thread about dinner, and since I love to cook to and eat I thought I'd start one.

Last night we had ham and scalloped potatoes (using leftover Easter ham) and tonight we had bamee noodles with barbecued pork.

Tomorrow night, I'm thinking about doing a bacon and whiskey chili since it's so rainy and cool, but I'm not sure yet. Who knows what I'll want tomorrow?

What's everyone else doing for dinner?

#4,727 ·
Tough week ahead for us with DH away. Dinner just for me and 2 little ones.

Last night we had hot dogs and veggie chili with friends for the holiday.

Tonight was supposed to be chicken Caesar salad, but DD1 had a huge violent tantrum during cooking time and I had to scrounge. Baby ended up with tons of grated Parmesan, hunks of butter off some torn sourdough, and a bite or two of honeydew. I had a plate of plain salad and torn sourdough dipped in Miami cream cheese. DD1 eventually had bread and water and the cheese out of her undressed salad.

#4,729 ·
Monday was rice noodles with tofu, broccoli, and red pepper (definitely not a typical summer holiday meal, but that's what was in the fridge).

Tuesday was rice with roasted cauliflower/veg in Mexican style BBQ sauce and beans, topped with avocado.

DH will be out late tonight and tomorrow. So for DS (and if DD is in the mood) and I, caprese pasta salad tonight with roasted broccoli. Also have ingredients for buffalo chickpeas over romaine - since DS is home for lunch this week, we can just rotate among those for the next few days.

#4,734 ·
Tonight we had a pasta thing I got from Aldi - meh. It came with a spice packet. I'll just make my own next time. I served it with ground beef, parmesan and cut-up carrots.

Definitely a meh dinner period right now. Maybe some kind of Thai curry tomorrow to freshen things up.

#4,736 ·
That sounds so good, Ragana. I wish I wasn't the only person who would eat it. Do you use a specific recipe?

I need to do some planning for the next few days, but I think we'll just do some newman's frozen pizzas after dance class tonight, possibly with cream of something soup, if I can get up the gumption. I'm really tempted to get takeout, but there's never anything the baby can eat and I end up cooking anyway.

#4,738 ·
That sounds so good, Ragana. I wish I wasn't the only person who would eat it. Do you use a specific recipe?
I use a can of coconut milk, a can of tomatoes, two cans of chickpeas - other veg optional (potatoes and cauliflower or a bag of mixed frozen vegetables). Yesterday, I added three leftover crock pot baked potatoes cut up. Add a shallot (or about 1/4 onion), two garlic cloves and some ginger. Mix with Indian spices - about a tablespoon. It really depends on the mix. I use the Shan or other brands of prepared spice mixes I get in the Indian grocery store. Anything works, really. You could do a mix of prepared curry powder and cumin or something like that if you don't have the mixes.

#4,740 ·
Yesterday was frozen pierogi, radish salad (radishes, sour cream, S&P, fresh dill), and lettuce salad with bottled dressing. Tonight everyone is going their own way, so I am going out with a friend. Weds. plan is rice bowls with tofu and broccoli.

#4,741 ·
So far this week:

Sunday: shrimp and mixed roasted veggies over angel hair
Monday: leftover shrimp/rotisserie turkey over Caesar salad with pan roasted potatoes and watermelon

The plan:
Today: sausage and kale with the leftover angel hair, frozen cauliflower
Wednesday: baked mac and cheese with broccoli and leftover sausage
Thursday: dinner on the run at dance dress rehearsal
Friday: leftovers, most likely

#4,742 ·
DS is at camp this week and DSD is with us so a different dynamic than usual!

Monday: cauliflower, potato, sweet potato and peas with curry seasonings and a bit of coconut milk; served with garlic naan.
Tuesday: BLT pizza - chopped bacon, beefsteak tomatoes, and mozzarella; topped with baby greens.
Wednesday: probably grilled portabellos and pineapple with teriyaki sauce served on WW buns with red onion and mashed avocado...very much looking forward to trying this one!

I also have the ingredients for grilled honey sriracha chicken tenders (tofu for me), coconut rice, and grilled zucchini. Not sure if we will get to that before Sunday, depending on leftovers.

I forgot my in-laws are coming this weekend. I have kind of given up trying to cook for them. We usually go out on Fridays/Saturdays anyway with kids' activities, etc...then they can order what they want and I don't have to stress over pleasing everyone.

#4,746 ·
Wow, those are really cool! Speaking of foodie gifts, we got DD2 a "snack box" subscription for her b-day this year - every month she will get a box of snacks from a different country. The first one was Japan, and it was pretty cool!

#4,747 ·
Hey ladies! I haven't posted in a long time.
I've been trying to loose weight. So far 14 lbs yay! So I've been eating very clean and meal prepping.
I pretty much make the same things each week.
This week I made a. Inch of grilled chicken, we ate it on salads and stuff.
I also made stuffed peppers but not the traditional way. They are just ground turkey, salsa and brown rice with a little cheese on top.
I also made spaghetti with ground turkey but I had mine over brown rice instead of pasta.
I think today I'll be grilling turkey burgers along with regular burgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4,750 ·
For dinner tonight, I picked up some Jason's deli. Usually, I will push for a home cooked meal but my planning was faulty and I was tired when I got off from work - so I just decided to pick up some ham and cheese sandwiches, broccoli cheese soup, and some ice cream.

I was satisfied and and little cousins did not complain. They like to eat healthy and mom so does my mom, who agreed that the dinner choice was reasonable. I think that's a win in my book! :smile:

#4,754 · (Edited)
I love all the components, but the combination was really awful.
LOL, we're living in a hotel while my husband is doing a training program so last night I tried a "reuben chimichanga" at a restaurant that we never would have chosen and yes, I'm utterly to blame, I just smiled my way through and regretted it all night, how dumb am I being a Pennsylvanian :duh

Tonight it's hot meatballs from a great Italian deli we found down the street and my husband will probably get a pepper sausage sub

#4,757 ·
I'm getting really tired of restaurant food. It's so expensive and so complicated. I'm not even digesting it well - call it Davey Crockett's revenge :serious:I miss my meat & veg on a stick.

Tonight we're going to someone's house for dinner so I have no idea what I'm having - except a glass of wine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.