meals for a crowd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Every year we have a group of friends out for 4th of July and every year I spazz out on what to cook. This year it's 7 adults and 3 kids for 4 days. I need ideas for 3 breakfasts and two dinners. I have a 8lb pork loin I really need to use if anyone has ideas about that. I am completely stuck.

obstruct livery vehicles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Omelettes and pancakes are always a hit for big group breakfasts. You can have 3 or 4 items (like shredded cheese, ham and baby spinach) for company to choose from, to add to their Omelet.

Also, here in the Low-country we tend to make a Low-country boil (or Frogmore Stew) for big event outdoor dinners. The following is a family recipe that is fantastic for large summer gatherings:

The Captain's Frogmore Stew

serves 10-15

3 lbs small red skin potatoes (or any small sturdy variety), halved

4 lbs smoked sausage, cut into pieces

Corn on cob, enough for one cob per person, cut in half 

3 lbs shrimps, shell on (deveining is optional)

1 container Old Bay seasoning

Fill an extra large soup or crab pot with water and the Old Bay seasoning and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Next, add the sausage pieces and cook 10 minutes more and then add corn and cook a further 10 minutes. Once you are certain that all ingredients in the pot are cooked thoroughly then you will add the shrimp and cook them NO MORE than 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove potatoes, sausage, corn and shrimp from cooking water and transfer to an extra-large platter. Serve with cocktail sauce and butter.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:37 PM

I think chicken legs are good for a crowd - easy to cook & inexpensive. You could do them in the oven but we usually grill low & slow with bbq or hot sauce. My aunt sent me a recipe I'm trying out this week for orange-rosemary chicken legs.

I don't typically cook pork loin but it sounds yummy to me to find a good rub & roast it. My dh usually smokes pork shoulder.

With either of those I'd like fresh fruit, potato salad, grilled or roasted veggies (usually squash & broccoli tossed in olive oil, garlic & red pepper flake at our house), mashed sweet potatoes, asparagus, green salad or corn on the cob.

I like to do french toast in the oven, cheesy scrambled eggs wih biscuits or migas for group breakfasts.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM

mmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmm

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

User Tag List