Birthday Party Dinner - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have decided to cook a birthday dinner for my 11yr old dd and several of her friends and am getting a bit anxious about this. I am looking for suggestions on what to feed a crowd of kids (no dietary restrictions that I aware of except one child doesn't eat meat).  Should I make a couple things to choose from?  Make a meal or a bunch of appetizers? 

I really don't want to resort to ordering pizzas and junk food...help.gif

#2 of 9 Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM

We always have for birthday dinners what the birthday child wants. In our case, dd's 11th birthday party on Saturday? Hotdogs over a campfire, with a veggie platter, followed by ice cream cake and smores.

Birthday person choosing all the food is a big deal here.
#3 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well salmon burgers and french fries it is.  That's easy and what a relief to have a plan.  I will cut up some veggies and have cake for dessert put out some chips and juice.  Ok feeling better about it all.

#4 of 9 Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 AM

Who chose that?
#5 of 9 Old 06-24-2011, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

my dd chose salmon burgers, my dh makes them and freezes them(and if you like salmon they are delicious).  I will also have beef, chicken and veggie burgers so we are having a build your own burger party.

I am going to (try)make rhubarb juice today and I have club soda and blueberry juice for drinks.  Do I need to serve pop or kool aid at this age?  I have noticed that pop is offered at almost all parties...

Strawberry Shortcake for dessert.

#6 of 9 Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM

I prefer your dd's choice to my dd's choice, can I come to yours???

I think with the drink options, you don't need pop.
#7 of 9 Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM

If you want, try making juice concentrates and diluting them with carbonated water or ginger ale instead of pop. The actual pop is up to you- I don't feel the need to serve pop at our parties, but that is an individual thing

#8 of 9 Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

well it went over super well.  All the kids(6) tried the burgers and all but one liked them but she had also eaten before she got here.  I didn't make french fries. I just did the veggie plate and chips.  I had blueberry juice and club soda and I made a couple of 4L jugs of kool aid using 3/4 the amount of sugar and adding extra water, and they loved that. I decided on the ice cream cake thing too.  For late night snack we had watermelon and popcorn with peppermint tea ( it was a cool night and the kids had gone in the pool).

Mommy212 I agree they don't need pop at parties, they don't need Kool Aid either but I was trying to offer something fun and not give them caffeine.  The peppermint tea was meant to be calming...it kind of worked...I went right to sleep.

Irishmommy,  I love a weiner roast!  Hope your party was fun!

#9 of 9 Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 PM

I'm glad you had fun. Ours were good too. I figured 1 potato, 2 corn, 2 hot dogs per person. I overestimated the first two, underestimated the hot dogs, so dh only had one, I had none (no loss) and it balanced out. Kids had a blast, and I heard a couple of "I wish we could stay longer" comments. And now, it's 7:12. Birthday girl is in bed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page