July Meal Plan - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With the heat of summer upon us, I've found it a bit trickier to stay away from wheat.  Last summer was all about sandwiches and pasta salads- both of which are now off limits!  I also have NO idea what to expect to receive from our first veggie garden so sides are up in the air at the moment, hopefully we will get enough to fill in the blanks!  How do those of you with CSAs or personal veggie gardens plan ahead?  Anyway, here is the month we have planned out.  I'm really behind on posting accompanying recipes on my blog but for me that's par for the course.  Here is our July, what are you mixing up in your kitchens?

July
Mon. Tues. Wed. Thur. Fri. Sat. Sun.
        Slow Cooker Red Beans & Rice Chicken Spiedies, Grilled Veggies Hamburgers, Baked Beans, Salad
Hot Dogs, Baked Beans Greek Chicken Kebabs Grilled Lemon Pepper Salmon Tex-Mex Dry Rub- Steak Bean Burritoes BBQ Rub- Pork Salad w/Deviled Eggs
Hamburgers, Beans, Salad Ham & Pineapple Kebabs Grilled Salmon Patties, Grilled Sweet Potatoes Chicken & Spicy Wing Sauce Black Bean Salad, Chips? Kefta & Zucchini Kebab Chicken Caesar Salad
Indian Dry Rub- Chicken Steak & Pepper Kebab Grilled Mustard Salmon Hot Dogs & Baked Beans Grilled Turkey Breast Party Taco Salad
Grilled Steak, Grilled Veggies Teriyaki Chicken & Pineapple Kebab Grilled Salmon Patties, Grilled Sweet Potatoes Pancakes (Wheat Free!) Zucchini Parm Cajun Rub- Chicken Cobb Salad

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#2 of 7 Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM

I love looking at meal plans. It makes me feel more inspired. I only plan once a week. When I had a CSA, I would either look ahead (via a newsletter about what I could expect) and go from there, or wait and plan as soon as it came. Now I don't have a CSA :( and I plan on Sundays, shop on Mondays, etc. Weekends are the hardest because DH helps a lot with meals, has different ideas, grills, etc., so I find that is when we go over budget, going shopping for more. Ah well.

I love this meal plan you've posted. As for gluten, I use brown rice noodles for all my pasta needs and I LOVE them. I make pasta salad, mac n cheese (with goat's cheeses), and all things pasta with them. Trader Joe's has the best and cheapest but they're 90 miles from us. I'm about overdue for a trip.

I notice you have a lot of "grilled" foods - do you BBQ a lot?

I'm trying to use the slow cooker more this season, so that DD and I can freely go to the lake and pool and hang out with the people who are out for the summer (cousins, family, friends).

Anyway, thank you!

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#3 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, tons of cooking outside on the grill.  We don't have central A/C and it is easier to keep the house cool if we don't heat it up in the first place (um...obviously Sheepish.gif sorry) but it also allows the kids to run around in the yard while I'm cooking as well being a different kind of flavor than we get the rest of the year.  I actually used the grill to reheat some pizza we had bought for lunch over the weekend and I think I really prefer it reheated that way!

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 PM

That makes a lot of sense. I'm using the toaster oven for just about everything for the same reason!

Enjoy! :)

Holistic nutritionist, WAHM, new mom of first DD 08/29/10 and a precious baby due 2/13/12!

#5 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Your menu sounds yummy!!  Would you mind sharing your recipe for crock pot red beans and rice please?

Thanks!

#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

I would have been happy to share it, but I wasn't that thrilled with it actually (it was a new recipe I had come across).  The beans stayed way too firm even after doubling the cooking time.  I was so disappointed in it that I tossed the recipe and I no longer have it (it was just a print out from online somewhere).  I usually don't just toss a recipe, I tweak it to fix it, but I wasn't even sure where to start to fix that one so I didn't bother.  Sorry! :-/

#7 of 7 Old 09-21-2011, 09:56 AM

I'd rather hear that than try to make it myself and hate it.  Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page