Basment cooking - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! Our city was recently in a flood and our home took in water to the roof. Needless to say, we are displaced and will be for a long time to come. We are currently living in our friends basement. They have been very welcoming and want us to use their kitchen and supplies. However, I just feel more comfortable keeping my family in the basement. There is a bar area so I have a fridge, sink and a skillet. I'm looking for your best "1-pot" type meals that I can make in the skillet. Thanks so much for your help!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm am glad you and your family are safe and have a place to stay for the time being and I am sorry for your loss. I would just use the skillet to make regular meals and try to keep food warm in between cooking one item to the next. Putting food on a plate and covering with a bowl will keep it warm for a while. Also do you think you could get a crock pot, that would really expand what you can cook without a full kitchen. I wish I had more advice good luck to you mama

be good family...

#3 of 3 Old 09-18-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your house! Awesome that you guys have a place to stay. I think it'd be well worth it to have a one burner stove (I'm thinking like a camp stove) to boil water for pasta, quinoa and rice. A crockpot would also be cool. In the meantime, here are some meals I make in our skillet regularly: 

Chicken Curry

Peas and Paneer

Veggie Curry w/beans or chickpeas 

Channa Masala

Greens w/beans or chickpeas

French toast

Eggs, bacon, fried potatoes

Grilled Cheese

What the heck? I totally missed the date on this thread! I'm sure you're out of the basement by now, but I'll leave my reply in case someone else is in that situation. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page