What do you freeze your food in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-27-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm really trying to start eating more balanced and healthy meals but I don't really like standing in the kitchen all day and I'm pretty busy babysitting a toddler and caring for my own babe. So I figured that my freezer should be my new best friend.

I'm a little ick-ed out by plastic and am currently trying to move to all glass storage. My question is how do I freeze in glass jars? Is this advisable? Is there another option? I will have foods for me as well as baby puree type foods.

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM

I froze DD's baby food chunks and purees (we did a lot of baby led solids so nothing really runny) in baby food jars a friend gave me.  I didn't fill so full that the food touched the lids.  We never had problems with them...of course they didn't sit for months and months because she was only in the phase for so long until she ate what we did at every meal.

I still use a lot of plastic freezer bags...I just don't see how anyone could afford to buy glass for longer term freezer foods.  That would be a lot of glass.  Unless you already have canning jars or glass jars that are similar.  I've seen wide mouth plastic lids that screw on and say they are compatible with freezing.... I'd give that a try if I got a hold of some canning jars.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#3 of 15 Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 PM

have you seen the plastic stacking cups that have those neon green lids? That is my best, it is BPA free at least! I am with you and I do all glass. I have been a little okay about some of the tiny snack containers, but not so much. Sometimes when we go on a really long outing with the double stroller I try to keep the weight down though. I mostly use all of my glass up meal planning. I chop one night until very late and watch the daily show for the week and try to kick it and have fun. Then I have tons of fresh food prepped for salads, snacks, or chopped accordingly for dinner. I am so with you on freezing food though! It is hard for me to remember to make more for it. 

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#4 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 AM

I've had no problem freezing in actual canning jars. I'm not sure the thinner type work.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#5 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBeth View Post

I've had no problem freezing in actual canning jars. I'm not sure the thinner type work.

awesome! How do you defrost? I would like to know to avoid breaking...that is my past with glass

Leslie, organic semi-unschooling mama teaching my children 5 and 2.75, that love & happiness is most important. Letting their light shine, finding out they are teaching me. Love being in the moment & nature.

#6 of 15 Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I use Ball canning jars and have not had any problems.  See: http://www.freshpreserving.com/products/jars.aspx#jars.  Just make sure to use the plastic lids and not the regular canning lids.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 10:49 AM

I use canning jars,glass bakewear and some ziplock brand bags (they are bps free) I have a large, upright freezer in addition to a above fridge freezer. I mainly only use the ziplock bags for flash frozen things (such as pancakes that I freeze individually on plates then bag)

I have slowly collected glasswear, and my favorites are glasslock which I often find at biglots, etc. I also buy a lot secondhand, but the locking lids are amazing.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#8 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 AM

I freeze in glass jars all the time, just don't fill all the way (I only have thin jars, reused pasta sauce jars etc)

I also use tupperware. Yes, it's plastic :)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#9 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 AM

Oh I'll have to check out Glasslock... I freeze in Pyrex (pricey but sometimes Target has good deals), and Ziploc now has some glass containers that I'm trying out.  

#10 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM

I freeze everything in glass, from ready-made meals to baby purees to breastmilk.

Pyrex makes a line of freezer/oven safe glass baking dishes that have BPA-free lids (the gray lids, NOT the blue lids). I use these for everything from soups to chili to lasagna to casseroles, etc.

For baby purees, I use Ball (aka Kerr) glass jars with the plastic (BPA-free) lids. They make tiny little "jam jars" that are 4 oz, and the perfect size for baby foods. The lids screw right on, and are very easy to use. They cost around $10 for 12 jars, so the price is hard to beat. I found mine at Ace Hardware, and I believe Walmart also carries them (but I don't shop there).

For single serving soups, spaghetti sauce, etc, I use pint-size Ball jars, also from Ace Hardware. Sometimes I will also reuse glass containers from jam jars, coconut oil, etc....

For breastmilk, I pump and freeze in Evenflo glass bottles. They are super inexpensive at $4.50 for 4 bottles at Target. They fit onto the Medela pumps without any need for an adapter.

For dry goods like rice, etc, I use the largest size Ball jar, available at Michaels Craft Store for $3. I love using glass!!!

-Nicole, mama to Benji and our fur-babies, Megatron and T-Bone

treehugger.gif 

#11 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM

And be careful about reusing baby food jars. The lids contain BPA.

-Nicole, mama to Benji and our fur-babies, Megatron and T-Bone

treehugger.gif 

#12 of 15 Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katc8910 View Post

I use Ball canning jars and have not had any problems.  See: http://www.freshpreserving.com/products/jars.aspx#jars.  Just make sure to use the plastic lids and not the regular canning lids.

Hello--

we freeze soups and such in wide-mouth Ball canning jars and use the metal lids with no problem!  To defrost, we just take off the metal lid and stick in the microwave.  Not a single one has broken!

#13 of 15 Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 AM

I use ball or mason canning jars and the only time I have had them break is when i fill them too full with liquid, soup, milk, etc. I am going to by the 4 oz jars for freezing baby food!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#14 of 15 Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Nice thread, and great ideas I hadn't thought of. But, don't any of you ever have the problem of things falling out of the fridge when you are digging around looking for something? Or is that just me? I have lost more than a package or breastmilk this way, and that's with the plastic storage bags!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#15 of 15 Old 11-29-2011, 04:24 PM

Stuff falls out of our freezer and breaks too.  Actually it doesn't matter much if you use plastic because it will shatter when it is frozen too.

mother of 2, wife, daughter, lawyer, toddler wearing, extended breastfeeding, ec-ing, water birthing....

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page