Let's Talk Tuna - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I'm embarking on a quest to further reduce our grocery budget since I'm about to go on a three month unpaid maternity leave. We do pretty well, but I could do a little better, so I want to explore more options for humble ingredients. Which has me thinking about tuna. 

Pretty much the only things I know how to make with tuna are tuna noodle casserole, tuna sandwiches and Nicoise salads. I love tuna noodle casserole and husband will eat it if I make it, but we're not big on sandwiches and salads for dinner. Anyone have any other good recipes that utilize tuna? We're a lactose intolerant household, so stuff that contains dairy and cream-of-something soups won't work for us, but I'd love to hear your suggestions! I know there are more than three ways to serve canned tuna. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've made a cold mexican tuna salad before.....tuna, black beans, corn, diced red peppers, diced red onion or scallions, a little cumin, salt, pepper.  Mix together and let sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to meld.  I bet you could experiment with adding other ingredients as well....maybe pasta? 

We also have tuna on toast.  Basically make a white sauce (with unsweetened soy or almond milk) with tuna and pour a spoonful over a piece of toast. 

My favorite place to search for recipes online is www.allrecipes.com  You can do a search based on ingredients you want and don't want so you could put in tuna but omit cheese, milk, cream, etc. 

Hope these ideas help!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 8 Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'll often make pasta with tuna, but not a traditional tuna noodle casserole.

In olive oil, I saute onion, garlic, and lemon zest, and then add veggies - sliced or diced red, orange and yellow peppers, zucchini, green beans, halved cherry tomatoes, broccoli (basically almost anything in the veggie drawer). For flavour, I'll add dried or fresh chopped herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, whatever). Sometimes, I'll splash in a little wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or vermouth or wine. Add a tin or 2 of tuna. Mix in cooked pasta. We top with some grated parmesan or feta, but you can skip the dairy. If I have black olives or marinated artichoke hearts, I'll mix some in too. 

#4 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

These are some great suggestions; thanks ladies!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 8 Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM

#6 of 8 Old 10-17-2011, 12:58 PM

We eat tuna in sandwiches/wraps/pita bread/on crackers, hot tuna melts, cold tuna pasta salad, tuna casserole, and... this one may be odd to some...but my sister and I 'invented' this as kids and still eat it to this day.  Macaroni and cheese, tuna, and peas. Basically a casserole for the especially cheap and lazy.

Essentially we make a box a mac and cheese (any variety and if I am ambitious I do homemade), add drained tuna, add frozen peas.  The peas will thaw in the hot macaroni and cool it down to be ready to eat.  This is now my DH's go to lazy man's dinner when he has to cook. :P  My 20 month old DD loves it as well......hey, it's healthier than take out right?

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
#7 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 AM

I also make tuna burgers

One can of tuna to one egg. Breadcrumbs, grated veggies, pan fry (dont' really need oil, I'm sure you could bake but I find it easier just to do them in a pan on the stovetop).

You can also do the same with mashed potatoes instead of the egg & breadcrumbs.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#8 of 8 Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I love all of these suggestions! I might have to try the spicy tuna cakes this week - my husband loves crab cakes, so I'm thinking he'll like these even though he isn't a big fan of tuna. I have some sweet corn in the freezer to serve with them - a little taste of summer. 

I also found tasty-sounding recipes for Pasta Shells with Italian Tuna & Artichokes and Pesto Pasts with Tuna "Meatballs".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page