What can I bring to new parents this weekend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay, so I have just come over to this part of the forums and see a wealth of information which I plan to read (like the thread on meal planning!!!)

But, in the meantime, we are planning to visit a couple with newborn twins and I promised to bring food! Now, I'm not sure what will be best to bring! Maybe something for the freezer, and something else for the 4 adults to consume for lunch (or brunch)? Preferably, whatever we share will be kid-friendly, since my 3 year old will be coming as well.

Any suggestions for (1) a quick freezer meal for them and (2) a meal to bring to share?? I have a killer scone recipe, so if we did a brunch food, maybe something to eat that with? Maybe some kind of egg souffle or something??

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

I think your egg souffle and scone idea are nice. As a new mom myself, breakfast/brunch was the hardest meal for us to muster up, and everyone that offers to bring something does a dinner dish. If you want to do up some freezer-friendly baked goods for them to have on hand, pumpkin bread/muffins or a coffee cake would be good as well - easy for them to defrost, and they make for a nice breakfast when you add some fresh fruit on the side. 

Also - it's great that you're bringing them something! Out of the all of the visitors that we had in the first few weeks after my son was born, exactly none of them brought food! More gifts and items for the baby (which we didn't exactly need), but no food! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 4 Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM

This is something I have a hard time figuring out too. One of my favorite PP meals was a quiche someone brought. They freeze easily too, which is a huge plus, and I love having all that protein and veggies too. 

I think you're on the right track - very thoughtful. I bet that parents of twins need all the support they can get, they're lucky to have a friend like you!

Leon - 8.15.07 and Silas - 4.19.09. Happy for sun and garden season again!
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I ended up finding a recipe for an egg and cheese casserole online, and it turned out great! I also brought the scones, which are always awesome. For the freezer, I doubled up on a recipe I made for us on Friday night, tangy chicken (tomato sauce, mustard and water to simmer chicken, zucchini, celery, and onion) and rice. It worked great! They were very appreciative.

Yes, I learned very quickly that the absolute hardest thing was getting ourselves fed in those early days after DS1 was born. I can't even imagine with 2!! Theirs were already 6 months (that's how long it took them to get back to me about coming by! :)), but I figure with twins, you can use that help pretty much anytime (heck, I could use a few extra meals myself with ages 3 and 1!).

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page