Fish that doesn't taste like fish - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

This is kind of an embarrasing question, but here it goes: do any of you have recipes for fish that make it unrecognizable as fish?

Here's the situation: I hate fish.  I actually know when it started -- I was 4-5 years old and got fish at a restaurant that cooked it skin on, and it was the first time I had seen that and balked.  Since then, no fish, despite several attempts.  The only thing I can kinda get down is salmon, but even then the fish-ness of it gives me trouble.  I have to get very zen and just be present to the experience as one that is not necessarily pleasurable but also not making me vomit. 

My dear husband, who has totally followed my lead the last six months where we basically reorganized our household to implement meal planning, budgeting, debt-repayment, and some limited food growing, today asked me "can we have one fish meal a week."  I definately want to do that for him, since he's been so good about the rather sweeping lifestyle changes over the last few months.  We discussed the options, and one of the ones he came up with is we make two things, one fish and one no-fish, but I'd like to avoid that precident as I hope one day we'll have six kids, and I kind of want it to be a rule that we eat what's served... so obviously have to apply that to myself for starters, no?

Anyway, I figured I'd post and see if any of you moms have recipes from dealing with your own finicky eaters.

Thanks!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#2 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't really care for fish myself.   Neither does DH, but DS likes it alot.   Fishsticks I can eat, but they aren't really fish I guess.  lol   I made some breaded cod once in a Lousiana breading (from the grocery store) and EVERYONE wanted more.   But I only made a little b/c I wasn't sure how it was going to go over.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 PM

not a big fish person here, but:

Would scallops or shrimp count? I really like scallops.

I've also heard that REALLY fresh fish doesn't taste fishy. One thing I tried to do was whenever we ate out was to order fish - so I'd get a taste of well prepared fish and start there. I'm not a great cook and I figured I'd have a better chance of liking it if some good chef prepared it. 

Do you have a quality source of fish? What about some prepared fish meals to get you started? 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#4 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

I would start w/a mild white fish like tilapia and go from there.  It's not so expensive, either, so if you don't like it it isn't such a waste.  I would grill it w/lots of flavor.  Maybe an Asian twist like fresh ginger, orange juice, and soy sauce?  Another one I love is corn flakes encrusted halibut w/lots of red pepper flakes.  So good.  But very expensive.  The only time I could afford it was when my neighbor caught a huge one in Alaska and brought us a HUGE piece.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I definitely agree with the previous poster that said that good, fresh fish does not taste "fishy". Good fish should smell/taste like the sea. Unless you live near a reliable seaport, don't buy the "fresh" fish at the seafood counter of your grocery store - it was flash-frozen at sea and then defrosted for the counter. Buy frozen fish. 

In my opinion cod and perch (if you can find it, and get it from a sustainable fishery) are pretty good "beginner" fish, because they're firm fleshed and fairly neutral in flavor. The two best ways to eat fish if you're not a big fish eater are breaded and fried (or baked) as for fish 'n' chips, or wrapped in bacon. Can't go wrong either way. :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#6 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is great!  At least I have some ideas to try.  And I have to say, Kitchensqueen, everything tastes good wrapped in bacon... I just never thought of wrapping fish in it. 

Thanks ladies!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#7 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM

I do not eat fish. But when I was at my mil's house and had no other choice, I had walleye (sp?) and it did not taste a thing like fish...

treehugger.gif Mom to jammin.gifDS7 and Peace.gifDD4.  Full time Social Work studentgeek.gif.
#8 of 8 Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkaJones View Post

Wow, this is great!  At least I have some ideas to try.  And I have to say, Kitchensqueen, everything tastes good wrapped in bacon... I just never thought of wrapping fish in it. 

Thanks ladies!

Anka

Bacon is the best thing ever. Bacon wrapped cod is actually one of my favorite things to eat... kind of makes me think I should put some on this week's shopping list. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirliknew View Post

I do not eat fish. But when I was at my mil's house and had no other choice, I had walleye (sp?) and it did not taste a thing like fish...

Yeah, I agree - walleye is another good one. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page