Mothering Forum banner

Favorite easy chicken dinner?

6K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  blessedwithboys 
#1 ·
Just introducing chicken into our diet. Looking for some good recipes.

#2 ·
You can't go wrong with crockpot rotisserie chicken or barbecued chicken. I can point you to recipes for them if you'd like. And a great, easy chicken recipe that we like is honey mustard chicken - you can bake or pan fry your chicken (I usually like to bake thighs for this) and just brush on honey mustard - I like just about equal parts dijon mustard and honey, salt and pepper and sometimes, a touch of cayenne mixed in.

#3 ·
I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe

6 chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks

1 onion, diced

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

2 tins crushed tomatoes

2 spoonfuls tomato paste

2 spoonfuls of brown sugar

slurp of balsamic vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

oil for frying

Heat oil in large pot and brown chicken. Remove and set aside. Add more oil if needed and fry onions and garlic until soft. Return chicken to pot and add the rest of the ingredients except the salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered for about an hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice or cous cous and steamed veges. You could also add veges to the sauce if you preferred a one pot dish.

Another favourite of mine is this marinated one

1kg of chicken pieces of your choice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablesspoons sweet chilli sauce

2 tablespoons honey

1 clove of garlic, finely chopped

1 teaspoon grated ginger

Combine all ingredients and marinate over night (or for at least one hour). Fry or BBQ chicken until cooked. Serve with veges or salad. You can also bake the chicken in a covered dish for about an hour to an hour and a half at 180C but you will get a thinner sauce rather than a sticky coating. If I bake this then I usually serve it with rice to soak up the sauce.

#5 ·
We sometimes will substitute chicken in for beef in dishes, especially mexican dishes. My girls especially love chicken tacos, taquitos and enchiladas. They prefer them over beef actually.

Also, chicken tetrizini is really simple. I can provide the recipe I use if you are interested. I usually make in advance, freeze and cook when needed. Chicken chili is another popular one over here.

#6 ·
i slice up boneless chicken breasts, pan fry in olive or coconut oil, pan fry any veggies you like - we use broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, garlic and onion most often - sear all veggies together in frying pan, then combine all and stir in - cream cheese - well we are dairy free so i use a non-dairy 'cream cheese' made from tofu - you could put it all over pasta or egg noodles too -

#7 ·
Another easy one we like is chicken noodle casserole - basically tuna noodle casserole, except switching the tuna for chicken. And I like to add sun dried tomatoes and green onions. It's a good way to stretch a small amount of chicken - we used leftovers from a crockpot chicken we did for dinner the other night to make lunch today.

#8 ·
I made chicken tortilla soup last night, and it was pretty tasty and probably pretty frugal.

chicken breasts

onions, chopped

jalapenos, chopped (seeds in for heat, out for mild)

1 large can chopped tomatoes

frozen corn

chicken stock

corn tortillas

canola oil

3 cloves garlic

cumin

Mexican oregano

Ancho chili powder

salt

I roasted the chicken breast with oil and salt while I made the soup. I put some oil in my soup pot, when hot added the onions and cooked until translucent. Then I added the jalapenos and the tomato and the garlic and the spices and cooked for a while... until the tomatoes were less canned and more cooked. (Sorry. This is how I cook.) Then I added the stock which I had made at home and added cilantro to. I brought the whole kit to boil and then simmered for... a while. (I potted some plants.) The chicken was done roasting and resting on the counter, so when I was about ready to eat, I shredded the chicken and added that and the corn to the soup. I brought it back to a simmer, cut up the corn tortillas into wedges and deep fried them in oil to eat on top of the soup.

#11 ·
I justmake smothered chicken and rice. Lol

My family acts like its amazing.

I rinsse chicken, pat dry, rub with salt and pepper. Cook, turning until outside is all a dark golden color, or light brown. Slice onions paper thin and brown. Add onions and chicken back to pan. Add water up to almost cover chicken. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer until liquid goes down. It will be thin. Just keep cooking it until chicken is done all through.

Serve over rice. We call it chicken on the bone with onioon water gravy. I usually use krogers simple truth organic chicken drums, which are like five bucks for six drums.

#14 ·
We love chicken enchiladas!
I buy a rotisserie chicken ($5 usually) and come home and pull the meat off of it. Chop a yellow onion and sautée in olive oil until browned. Throw in chicken (as much as you want...the more you throw in, the more filling you'll have...I freeze leftover filling), 2 cans refried beans, a can of diced green chiles, and salsa if you have it. Add seasonings like cumin, chili powder, etc.

Let cook on medium until chicken looks shredded. Scoop about 2-3 TBS of filling into tortillas, sprinkle a little cheese and roll up. Place in baking dish in rows. Top with enchilada sauce and cheese and bake for about 20 minutes.

Make chicken stock with the rotisserie chicken bones!
Veggie scraps (onions, carrots, celery any veggie)
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Bay leaf
chicken carcass
Throw in crock pot and cover chicken with water
Simmer on low for 12-24 hrs
Strain broth into jars and freeze or refrigerate for use! Homemade chx stock adds so much flavor to recipes calling for it.

#15 ·
1 whole chicken

1 onion

olive oil

garlic powder or garlic from a Gourmet Garden squeeze tube

iodized sea salt

2 or 3 potatoes (sweet or other)

baby carrots or 2 or 3 carrots

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take the chicken out of the plastic and wash it in the sink, removing the giblets if it has them. Transfer the chicken from the sink to a 9 x 13 baking dish. If desired, stuff the onion (peeled but not cut) into the chicken. Pour a bit of (extra virgin) olive oil over the chicken and sprinkle with garlic and salt. Arrange peeled and cut potatoes and cut carrots around the chicken and bake for 1 hour and at least 20 minutes, until the chicken no longer bleeds when you cut it.

When you're done eating the chicken, if you want to make soup for another day, boil the bones. When you're done (after at least an hour and there's still a good amount of water in the pot), carefully remove the bones from the pot and put them in two or three plastic bags put together. I usually keep the broth from the boiled bones in a clean, empty glass pasta sauce jar or two. Put this leftover broth in the fridge and when you're ready to make soup, pour the broth into a big pot with leftover bits of chicken, carrot, potatoes, maybe a can of corn, perhaps some thyme, and anything else you can think of and let it simmer for at least half an hour. It's delicious!

#17 ·
Soviet chicken:
we use legs and thighs but boneless breasted works well, too.
Put chicken in a pan. Mix one pack of onion soup mix with one cup of Russian (1000 island) dressing and one cup of apricot jelly. Pour over chicken and bake until done. If you chop up the cooked chicken, you can serve over rice, which is super yummy. Or serve with a veggie side.

#18 ·
If you eat bacon & cheese, everyone I know who has tried this recipe loves it.

Brown chicken (we use about 5 breasts for our family)(about 5 minutes/side)

Place in oven safe pan.

Pour in some teriyaki sauce

Cover chicken with a thin layer of ranch dressing

Grate cheddar cheese over top, then sprinkle crumbled bacon over the cheese.

Bake uncovered in 400 degree oven until chicken is fully cooked

Serve with whatever sides you want.

#21 ·
My mother-in-law taught me to save the bones after we eat a whole chicken or whole turkey and boil them with water for at least 20 minutes, then throw the bones away (on trash night so as not to attract animals) and keep the water to use for broth in soup. Is that what you're talking about? I do it on the stove in a big pot; I don't have a pressure cooker. When I'm done I put the broth in a glass container and the rest of the meat from the bones in another glass container and in the morning I take them out to put them in the crock pot to make delicious soup with lots of chopped organic vegetables.

#26 ·
For summer: chicken thighs with peaches and basil

Toss chicken thighs with olive oil, salt, pepper. Top with diced peaches (1-2 peaches for four thighs) and a whole bunch of chopped basil. Can do diced or grated ginger/garlic too if your kids like them (mine don't).

Roast 20 min at 400 deg. Serve over rice.

#27 ·
cranberry chicken is a favorite here.

coat chicken with flour, salt and pepper and brown in a hot skillet with a little oil

in crockpot or casserole dish combine cranberry sauce, hot sauce, chopped onion, worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Add chicken and bake at
350 for an hour turning chicken frequently.

we serve it with chowmein noodles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.