Gluten free Birthday Party Meal ideas!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're having a birthday party for my 2 year old, with about 18 people coming, on Saturday and I'm wracking my brain trying to come up with something gluten free, sort of simple, and delicious.  Also, my father in law is diabetic.

If you have any ideas, please help!  

#2 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

really fancy multicolor jello, ice cream cake, strawberries and creamy or chocolatey dip, caramel apples, sweet corn muffins with little dried cranberries decorating the tops, meringues (love these and they are really easy to flavor different ways and can be made in various shapes.  we brought cocoa-cinnamon ones to an event last week-- a bit of lemon oil is a good flavor choice too), individual cheesecakes with a nut-based "crust", fruit salad in stemmed glasses layered with whipped cream and/or pudding and cherry on top with colors chosen for looks

that's gluten free, but I don't know if you are looking to be sugar free or something as well.  i would assume that your FIL can skip the sweets and you can just make sure to have other snacks that are good for him

meatballs on toothpicks, deviled eggs, veggies and cheese on toothpicks ...

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#3 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for those ideas.  I'm just looking for an easy dinner meal idea.

I'm just using gluten free betty crocker cake mix for the the dessert.

#4 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM

My 16 yr old is gluten and dairy free and we LOVE "Namaste" brand bake mixes and frostings - very good

as for dinner my go to's are: beef and brocoli - with fried rice

"meatza'  - like pizza only using ground beef for the crust

pan seared chicken (i cut breasts into thirds and pound flat with a mallet)  - with veggies and cream cheese (the tofu cream cheese tastes great)

chili

chicken tenders made with rice flour and peanuts (maybe unsuitable for lots of little ones)

stuffed zuchini

ground turkey croquets with roasted veggies

I am trying to get my 18 month old off of "the white stuff'  - (sugar and flour)  because he weighs 42 lbs!  if he SEES pasta or bread on the table - he will just keep harping until he gets it - he wont eat anything else! 

it can be trying to get a whole meal together with NO gluten!  especially a special meal for kids!  good luck!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Tacos are great for GF get togethers!

#6 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

How about a bunch of salads.. green salad, fruit salad, gf pasta or rice salad, etc.  You can have dips like chips and guacamole, veggies & hummus, etc. to supplement.  This is more or less the menu I am planning for my DS's bday party next month!

#7 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 AM

I'm to late to be of help to the OP, but FWIW I just wanted to mention that I have had pretty good luck with these GF dessert recipes.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults?st=6&term=gluten free desserts#/?term=gluten%2Bfree%2Bdesserts&fv=AND(HasGridViewImage%3ATrue)&pi=1&ps=9

My DD is having her graduation party (the week I am due) in a few weeks and these are easy to make and taste good to everyone.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#8 of 8 Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemal View Post

Tacos are great for GF get togethers!

Yes, and you can serve with rice and beans, corn tortillas, homemade guacamole and tortilla chips for snacking! Add some fresh fruit, a veggie tray and your cake and you have a fabulous party!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page