Lunch ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in need of some lunch time inspiration. I have a 5 yo, a 3 yo and a 1 yo who seriously eat like lumberjacks. I use to do sandwiches all the time but now my 5 yo eats at least 2 sandwiches, 2 oranges and a salad.. Shes a green bean to so you would never know it, last time I took her to the doctor he mentioned she was thin for her height, she is just extremely active. Its getting expensive doing sandwiches for lunch since my 3 yo and 1 yo have appetites just like their sister!

We home school but love doing picnics and hiking so portable is good but not required. Id love things I can make in advance because our days can be very busy. No allergies except to sour cream (I know strange but I have a serious allergic reaction, last time I got hives from sour cream even though I'm not allergic to anything else!) and my kids aren't really picky except they don't like things to spicy. Even my 1 and 3 yos will eat whatever sits still for to long. No one cares if its hot or cold, seriously these kids eat just about anything.

So any lunch time ideas?

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Pasta salad. It makes a ton, is portable and depending upon what you put in it, it can be left out at room temp for a little while. Two favorites at our house - 

Picnic Pasta Salad

Winter Pasta Salad

And some that I found on Pinterest lately that we want to try - 

Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad

Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad

Minestrone Pasta Salad

Asian Bowtie Pasta Salad

Orzo & Vegetable Confetti Salad

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM

I agree on the pasta salad.   I make one that is simply pasta tossed with olive oil and minced garlic, diced sundried tomatos and parm cheese and I like it best a room temp.

What about sliced chicken breasts?  Easy to cook a bunch ahead of time.  I like jerk seasoning on ours, McCormick makes a blend that is flavorful but not too spicy.  I slice them cold for picnics and we eat them with our fingers.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#4 of 6 Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Thought of another - quinoa with whatever dried fruits and nuts you have on hand.  I am making quinoa with dried cranberries and pecans this weekend. 

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 6 Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Our standard lunch is the previous night's dinner.   Works for us & is pretty simple.

#6 of 6 Old 05-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post

Thought of another - quinoa with whatever dried fruits and nuts you have on hand.  I am making quinoa with dried cranberries and pecans this weekend. 

Yum!!! I will try that sometime soon. This sounds great. I generally mix my quinoa into my rice mix (which is a medley of many things.) I have never really eaten it all on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

Our standard lunch is the previous night's dinner.   Works for us & is pretty simple.

Same here. Every time I cook dinner, I determine the quantity with lunch for next day in mind. Otherwise, it is too much to think about. It really saves time and energy to do it this way I think.

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page