healthy freezer meals for hot summer months? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some healthy PP meals which we can eat in the heat of the summer (e.g. no soups) once the babies arrive..

Any suggestions?

Right now my go to list is mostly more 'winter friendly' meals but Id love suggestions for some summer options.

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

You can freeze pesto to put on pasta. And what about soups that you could eat chilled, like gazpacho? You could do stuffed sweet peppers too - you could just throw them on the grill to cook without heating up the house.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

oh those are both good ideas, I will add them to the list.

Also as for prep.. do you tend to shop one day, prep the next, cook the third? Trying to figure out how to make all these meals while very pregnant..

#4 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

When I was pregnant I usually just made a double portion of whatever I was cooking for dinner and froze half. A couple of things I did up on their own on a Saturday - coffee cakes and such. Which reminds me - don't forget breakfast! I made up a few of our favorite coffee cakes and muffins for the freezer, as well as some quick breads (which are great with butter or jam) and they were lifesavers. 

If you can, you might also try to do a major stock up shopping before the baby arrives - we bought a couple of cases of canned tomatoes, chicken stock, pasta, etc. before the baby was born and it was such a huge deal to not have to worry about shopping for the first few months. We even stocked up on toiletries too. Only having to go out for a quick 20 minutes for fresh veg and perishables made life so much easier. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 7 Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM

Quiche, especially in muffin tins for little individual ones. We eat those chilled, so just defrost, but they heat in the microwave or toaster oven quickly as well.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2012, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

a stock up run is a great idea! I will add that to the 'to dos'

#7 of 7 Old 06-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post

Also as for prep.. do you tend to shop one day, prep the next, cook the third? Trying to figure out how to make all these meals while very pregnant..

When prepping while pregnant?  I'd just triple the day's meals.  Eat the night's portion, freeze up the rest in casserole dishes or whatever it needs to be.  Doing big once-a-month-cooking sessions is hard enough on me when un-pregnant, I never even attempted it while pregnant.  Now, make a triple batch of applesauce pork tenderloin and twice baked potatoes and applesauce bread and banana sour cream muffins all in one day, sure.  But that's not enough to eat for the whole month, at least not in my hungry household.

If you can go shopping with your list when you normally do, spend a day or two prepping, and then a day cooking (while someone watches the other kids hopefully, otherwise it's utter chaos), that tends to work okay.  But with kids underfoot....  you'll want a xanax or bottle of wine or a velcro wall for the kids by the end of the day.  Ahem.  Not like I've ever done cooking days like that before.  ;)

Oh, anyway.  A great site I've followed/stalked for several years is OnceAMonthMom dot com.  Her monthly menus don't exactly do it for me, but I've gotten a bunch of really great meals/recipes from her over the years.  I tweak meals/menu plans as I see fit for my household and our tastes, and away we go.  And her recipes aren't near as bland as some of the ones I'd tried from other OAMC books - OAMC cooking, Miserly Moms, and so on.  We're not fans of bland over here, tasty all the way.  :D

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)

Tags
Meal Planning

User Tag List