Calling the cooks...Freezer question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm making pulled pork for a BBQ tomorrow, and my plan is to do a double batch as I am planning on brining pulled pork to a potluck the week after next and I'm hoping for efficiency!

Would you all freeze the meat in the BBQ sauce, or on its own?  If it makes the difference, the BBQ sauce is comprised of apple cider vinegar, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar and spices.  It is very acidic. I think the BBQ sauce itself will be fine in the fridge that long as none of the ingredients are going to spoil in that amount of time.  Would you all agree?

Thanks for the help, and cross your fingers for me, I've never done pulled pork before!  

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

You can do it either way. Usually I just freeze the cooked pulled pork by itself. You're right that the BBQ sauce will be fine in the fridge for a good long while - I've kept mine for a month with no problem. 

When you want to defrost it and reheat it, just put a little beer (or water) in a baking dish and warm it through covered in the oven.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If the pork is cooked in the sauce, I would go ahead and just freeze it all together.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 PM

I know this is old, but i thought i'd give my .02 

I think the sauce would turn watery.. so i'd try my best to freeze the pork alone.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

I ended up freezing the pork in a bit of it's own juices but left the sauce out.  It was very good thawed, but was only in the freezer a week and a half.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Tags
Meal Planning
User Tag List