quick breakfasts for DH - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My hubby gets up and out the door by 6:30 most mornings. He doesn't want to take the time to make eggs or anything so he ends up eating cereal. He doesn't mind it but half the time he'll also stop on the way to work at the donut shop and get sausage rolls or donuts or something. I hate this. I know he likes them, and I have my vices too(starbucks!) but I would like him to have more options in the morning so he doesn't feel as much of a need to stop on the way to work. He likes oatmeal, but only wants to eat it when it's cold outside, and he likes things like breakfast burritos and sandwiches, but not as fond of them reheated...blah. Picky guy! I need tips. I'd like just one more thing I can have in the fridge or freezer that he can pop in the microwave or toaster oven. Most of the family is gluten/grain free, except him, so the options are endless :) I also hate that he's on this stupid reeses puffs kick and I don't want the kids eating that junk!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 9 Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 AM

For my kids that get on the bus at 6:15 or so I always on Sunday fry sausage patties and bake biscuits and make egg patties.  Sometimes I cook bacon and put in baggies so they can switch up and muffins.

Tina

#3 of 9 Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 AM

Spray down a Pyrex measuring cup with Pam (or your healthier preferred oil ;)  and crack an egg into it - put in microwave - in the 1 (1:30?)  minutes that takes to cook toast an english muffin and throw a slice of cheese on it  - when egg is done - voila!  "Egg McMuffin" in less than 2 minutes :)

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#4 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 AM

How about breakfast smoothies? I do spinach, banana with flax seed and lemonade.

I also like Ezekiel cinnamon raisin English muffin with almond butter and organic jelly.
#5 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What's wrong with peanut butter on toast? Fast, easy, high in protein.

#6 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If he likes cereal and likes oats maybe you could do homemade muesli.

I make ours with rolled oats, unprocessed oat bran, quinoa flakes, chopped nuts, pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds and sultanas. Top with some yoghurt and fruit and it's a pretty filling breakfast.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Make oatmeal ahead of time & put in a wide-neck thermos overnight?

Youghurt & nuts & jam is a quick brekkie

My daughter likes omelets, but it's troublesome in the morning  in the school year, so I make egg  puffs in a muffin pan on Sunday afternoon (basically, crustless mini-quiches)  and put a couple in the fridge & the other 4 in the freezer and they can be zapped in the microwave in about couple of minutes.

But overall, I'd say he's a grown-up man and can take responsibility for his own breakfast choices and decisions. Don't make what he wants to do for breakfast into a burden for you. :)

#8 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 PM

I've made up hard boiled eggs ahead of time and then microwaved them. Doesn't take long. Just don't do them too long or they'll explode. :)

I also made up some pancake sausage bites for my kids. cook and scramble the sausage, put a half a spoonful in mini muffin cups. make up pancake mix and fill the muffin cups 2/3 full. bake at around 350 for 13 minutes or golden brown. I'm sure you could make them in regular muffin tins too and just bake them longer. I froze them and take a few out at a time and microwave for my kids. Serve them with butter and syrup.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Muffins, coffee cake, home made granola bars, molasses or oatmeal raisin breakfast cookies, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, egg and sausage "muffins"... those are the go-to quick breakfast options at our house.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page