Help me meal plan!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-22-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I run a co-op and we got our delivery yesterday..but I got an extra half share, and some other extra stuff for free, yay! Anyway, I have a ton of produce now, and my challenge is to use all of it. We are mostly primal/paleo...limited grains for the kids and hubby and gluten free, daughter is dairy free, and can't handle tomatoes very well(I can always leave out tomatoes or sauce or something for her though and make batches of whatever for the rest of the family. DH can have anything, including gluten.. Help me figure out what to do with all this!!

veggies:

3 lbs carrots

6 lbs onions(yellow, white and red)

tons of garlic

6 russet potatoes

6 ears of non-gmo corn:)

2 bunches of kale

3 portabella mushrooms(gotta hide this if DH is gonna eat it!)

7 large lemons

8 roma tomatoes

3 heads of lettuce

big ol bag of cherries

8 oz blueberries

2 melons

1/2 watermelon

7 poblano peppers

1 bunch cilantro

meat:

5 lbs ground beef

2 lbs chicken breasts

1 3.5 lb chuck roast

2 lbs bacon

2 lbs beef liver(gotta hide this)

1 lb breakfast sausage

2 whole chickens

7 dozen eggs

pantry:

tuna fish

coconut milk

diced tomatoes

dry pinto beans

dry black beans

brown rice

almond flour

I'm open to baking, feezer feeding, etc. because we are a family of 4, but really only feed about 3 people because my kids are small. DH and the kids and I will eat leftovers for lunch as well. I also have all the basic spices, I make my own mayo and we have all the basic condiments. I cook rice for the kids and we eat beans too. Thoughts? I'm shreddding carrots, onions and mushrooms and cooking 2 lbs ground beef for taco meat for dinner and to feed the freezer, and I 'm making pickled garlic carrots for snacks..should get us at least 4 meals out of the taco meat, so I'l freeze a lot of that. Anyone else not use tomatoes for taco meat? I don't use mixes, I just make my own spice mix, but I usually add tomatoes to hide the veggies. I'd have to leave it out for my daughter..do you guys think this would still taste good?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 2 Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We eat almost identical to you.  ;)

Grind the liver and portobella mushrooms plus whatever veggies you can't figure out what to do with (plus some onions & garlic for flavor) and throw them into a meatloaf mix.  You can make these up and freeze the multiples.  ;)

Half the potatoes, use a melon baller to create a hollow (making a potato "shell") and steam the shell and the insides.  Take the steamed insides and mix them with your tunafish and serve the tuna in the potato shells for lunches with some salad made with the lettuce (we toss it with EVOO, salt and some white vinegar)

Chicken breasts with corn and kale for dinner.  I like to throw kale into a pot of hot oil and garlic, toss it to coat and let it cook for 3-5 minutes until wilted.  We often eat the corn raw.

Cherries, blueberries and coconut milk make for good smoothies.  If you have some nuts or flax seed around--throw them in, too.

Roast the garlic and use the "paste" as a kind of hummus to dip carrots in.

Poblanos can season anything.  Could also use these with roma tomatoes, red onions and cilantro to make a salsa to serve with chicken breasts and maybe make some homemade refried beans from your pantry (cilantro tastes great in refried black beans!)  ;)

I would throw the whole chickens in the oven one at a time, but I also make them with beets when I have them.  You have potatoes, so cut them into wedges, coat with EVOO, some salt and rosemary (you could throw in some onions chopped up, too) and lay them out on a cookie sheet to cook at the same time as the chicken if your oven is big enough to accommodate both.  My kids seriously cannot get enough of these (it's my MIL's "recipe")

I'm totally at a loss for the lemons.  I'd likely juice them (by hand if you don't have a juicer) to make homemade lemonade and then grate the rind and dry it to make seasoning.

I would also probably make several egg bakes that include the breakfast sausage and/or the bacon in the bake.  I like to freeze mine already cooked so I just have to warm them up.  :)  I love mushrooms so I'd likely throw those in, but you could forego.  Oh--the salsa would taste good in one of them!  This is also a good place to use up some melon--when serving eggs.  It's important to have proteins and fats with foods that resolve to sugar (like melon) so if my family eats melon at all, it's either with eggs in the morning or as part of a meal.

I'd probably also use the melons to make granita (Google for recipes) and put the excess granita in the freezer.   

Chuck roast cooked with onions and carrots.  Serve with corn and lettuce salad.

If you have any kale left over, make kale chips.  Google for oven method (it's quick and easy--how I do it despite having a dehydrator).  I have some that are a month old already in my pantry.  Store them with paper towels to soak any excess oil to keep them crisp.

HTH!!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page