Freezer Feeding: Let's Talk Turkey! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I may be jumping the gun on the whole seasonal turkey thing, but stores here already have them marked down to really low prices. Plus, I'm expecting this winter and feel the need to plan my freezer stuffing attack waaaay ahead, lol. I'm planning on buying a couple turkeys from the hfs when they get marked down, and specifically am looking for freezer feeding recipes that use cooked turkey (since they come frozen, and I won't be able to thaw, cut them up, and re-freeze raw). I will probably thaw and roast one whole then cut into pieces OR thaw, cut into pieces and cook separately in different recipes.

So let's consolidate our best freezer cooking turkey ideas!

Here are some that I've thought of:

Turkey stuffing (using cubed cooked breast probably)
Southwest flavored turkey soup
Turkey, peas, and rice packets (would go nicely as a side to a vegetarian main dish)
Shredded turkey enchiladas

What are some turkey recipes that you think will freeze well? What are some that could use the pieced out bird that is maybe cooked in sauce or something and then frozen?

Do you think it might be worth it to buy one that is NOT frozen (do they even come that way?) and grind it up into burger? I have an attachment on my mixer. Or would I have to thaw it, grind it, cook it, then freeze in portions?

Thoughts from freezer feeders much appreciated!

Happy and in love with my family!
#2 of 2 Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Turkey standbys at our house for the freezer - 

- turkey soup (we like standard chicken noodle soup style - leave out the noodles in the freezer though and make them fresh when you serve it)

- pulled turkey (shredded turkey in barbecue sauce)

- turkey pot pies

- turkey in gravy (all the little bits and pieces of meat)

- turkey stock

- turkey hash with finely diced potatoes and bacon

- plain frozen wings and drumsticks so we can smoke them on the stovetop smoker with apple or bourbon-soaked oak chips

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page