Have a large box of potatoes! I need ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We were given this box of really nice potatoes and I want to use them before they go bad. I already made some awesome clam chowder and I'm going to make potato salad next.

What are your favorite dinner ideas that use potatoes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 PM

I love potatoes! I mostly just throw some into to whatever stew I'm making but here are some other ideas:

-garlic mashed potatoes

-fresh potato chips (slice paper thin and fry)

-rosemary oven potatoes (cut into thick fingers, dose with olive oil and herbs, bake)

-potato pancakes

-potato noodles (with leftover mashed potatoes, add egg and flour)

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Not too long ago we had Greek potatoes, baked feta cheese, and a spinach salad for dinner and it was pretty tasty and filling.

potato soup

twice baked potatoes- freeze well

baked potatoes topped with chili

mash the potatoes and use for shepard's pie

roasted potato salad with blue cheese

rosemary chicken and potato pizza

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Scalloped potatoes with ham and leek and potato soup are my two favorite potato dishes. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM

I just discovered this crock pot potato soup recently. I'd reduce the salt from the recipe next time and I only had 1 cup of half and half so I used a cup of regular milk and it was fine. Super easy and yummy, especially topped with cheese and crumbled bacon.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! My crock pot is going to be very busy this week!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Baked potato bar, use whatever you like I typically put out cooked, chopped bacon, shredded cheddar, chives, sour cream & steamed broccoli.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM

potatoes here SUCK (i'm sorry, they do) and really the only time of the year I can get decent ones is right now. EVERY store, from whole foods on down have soft, green skinned ones 10 months out of the year. GROSS.

So this time of year (since no kids for xmas, guess what i'll be doing!) I buy a TON and make my baked potato soup which freezes wonderfully if you do it before adding cream.

I just cut potatoes up like I would for mashed, cover with stock (i've used beef, chicken, veg, whatever), add some chopped garlic and a bit of lawrys and cook until they start to fall apart. I use my whisk and do a mashing until there is the right mix of chunks and mashed.

STOP here, pour/ladle into ziplock bags. Squeeze out air and freeze flat.

to serve add cream now.

to reheat I have thawed bags, or just bashed them against counter until they broke into chunks and then dumped them out of bags into a pot. Add a bit more broth or water and bring back up to temp. Add cream.

original recipe called for cream cheese, but it didn't stir in as well. I use sour cream instead. you can add as much or as little as you'd like.

top with whatever you like on your baked taters. here in the south brisket/bbq is popular, dad likes broccoli and cheese, me i'm a bacon and cheese fan so the kids follow suit.

since peeling and chopping isn't my favorite thing do to, and potatoes aren't good most of the year (luckily we don't have extended cold weather like we did growing up in chicago) I try and do a couple big batches so I have some. plus even straight from frozen it's a good 10ish min meal. so yay!

Single working mom, so quick is always better. we usually have 2 hours to get home, eat, homework, and bed for the kiddos.

I just bought 2 new le cruset pots after lusting for gosh....20+ years? my coworker said "man, you know you are a food nerd when you are daydreaming of POTS as a kid" LOL!

I'm going to fill up my big 10q one this weekend probably or over xmas and freeze me up some soup :)

Tags
Meal Planning
User Tag List