Dairy Allergies and in need of Dairy Free Meal Ideas! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been allergic to dairy since I was a baby and I think my 2 year old is also allergic but I have yet to get him tested. I am stubborn when it comes to giving it up but it's getting harder to keep eating it. My body has changed so much since I had my son and my dairy reactions have flared. I have Chronic Fatigue (or my doc THINKS I so), never actually diagnosed, I have bad GERD with esophagitis and gastritis, brain fog and difficulty concentrating and I have bad anxiety. I think a lot of it is due to my diet, I eat a lot of dairy and I need to completely cut it out. The trouble is I am sleep deprived and constantly chasing a wild 2 year old boy who only stops when he sleeps. I need some ideas of snacks and meals without dairy. I have the butter substitute covered (earth balance). I would love to find a good source of dairy free chocolate for my sweet tooth. Any ideas or resources would be awesome!

#2 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

You're onto a great thing with Earth Balance - it's the closest thing to real butter on the market. And you can pretty much substitute soy milk for regular milk in any recipe with good results, especially baked goods. Cheese is the biggest dairy culprit that's hard to replace, but it's pretty easy to just leave out without horribly detrimental effects. Soya Kaas make an acceptable mozzarella substitute for the occasional pizza or lasagna - the flavor and melting properties are pretty spot on. But read the label - they make a line with dairy, and then make a vegan line without it. You want the vegan line.

Chocolate you're going to pay for - dairy-free is pricey. And look for dark chocolate as opposed to milk chocolate. My favorite brand is Equal Exchange, but Endangered Species makes a good bar as well. For super-premium chocolate, Tazo is a brilliant stone ground, hand made bar. You just have to read the labels - some of their flavors have dairy products added in, some don't. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My DH can only have limited dairy right now & my daughter is vegetarian, so I tend to try to find vegan meal and snack ideas, and then sometimes add meat/cheese for those of us who eat it.

Check out these sites - the recipes are really varied and they make the food look so delicious and appealing:

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

http://www.theppk.com/

Homemade Lara bars are a good snack - easy to make & yummy:

http://www.livingcrunchy.com/2012/04/homemade-lara-bars/

BTW, have you ever been tested for gluten intolerance/celiac? I ask because a few of my friends and family with it had similar symptoms to yours & celiacs can also react to casein in dairy products.

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-Research%3A-Associated-Diseases-and-Disorders/Casein-%7B47%7D-Cows-Milk-Intolerance-and-Celiac-Disease/

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#4 of 11 Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Be careful about relying too much on soy. I am allergic to dairy and substituted soy products, then became allergic to soy.

Olive oil makes a good substitute for butter, as well. If you need something more saturated, try coconut oil.

Rice, oat and nut milks can also be used for cows' milk.
#5 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM

My kids are allergic to milk (plus a bunch of others) but some good meals are fried rice, chile, homemade chicken fingers, French toast made with coconut milk with a fruit topping.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#6 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

I'm so sorry to read your post! I'm also dairy intolerant, have had chronic fatigue and also deal with panic attacks. I wonder if any or all of those things are linked in some way? I would be very interested if anyone has any research on this? 

I also find it so hard to think of meals without dairy, especially since we live in such a dairy society (well, I do. In New Zealand the dairy industry is worshipped and a life without dairy isn't conceivable) and I really love cheese. Like you though, my tiredness and tummy flare up when I eat dairy. 

Also, I agree with the PP. I tried vegan for a while (it was the thing that kicked my chronic fatigue!) but ended up reacting to soy in the same way I do dairy. For me personally, I've found that avoiding cheesy meals is easier and better than trying to substitute it. 

Here are some of my food ideas (snacks, dinner, brekkie etc):

• smoothie - either an OJ-based one with kiwifruit (kiwi) and pineapple or one made with non-dairy milk (almond is my first choice, followed by hemp), berries, banana and a dash of vanilla
  • stir fry 
  • french toast - dip bread in beaten egg and vanilla mixture, fry and smother with fruit sauce/maple syrup
  • sticky BBQ chicken and roast potatoes - make a marinade with tomato sauce, brown sugar, worcester sauce (do you have that in America? if not, the flavour you're trying to get is salty, so maybe soy sauce would sub?) and mustard. Chuck chicken pieces in and marinade for couple hours. I make roast potatoes by par-boiling them for 10-20 mins to cut down on roasting time, that way dinner is ready in under an hour with hardly any prep. Serve with salad or steamed veggies.
  • sweet and sour chicken/pork/tofu with noodles
  • wraps are always on the menu. Chicken/beef, salad, hummus and wraps/pita bread - quick and healthy
  • I love a one-pan oven recipe from Jamie Oliver. We call it Jamie's chicken: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/tender-chicken-legs-with-tomatoes (we make it without the chilli). 
  • homemade burgers are good
  • to sub whipped cream, I use coconut milk/cream. It sounds weird, but tastes lovely. It doesn't taste like cream, but it gives the same satisfaction. you may need to google quantities, but basically it's tinned coconut milk/cream with some vanilla and icing sugar (powdered sugar)
  • lemon chicken (another oven dish) http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/3758/quick-roast-chicken-with-lemon-and-spices
  • meatloaf/nutloaf/lentilloaf with mashed potatoes (earth balance and non-dairy milk)
  • laksa with roti bread
  • lentil/mince bolognaise with pasta (just avoid the cheese on top or sub it)

Hope this all helps!! And good luck with everything!! 

#7 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 AM

Hi, I have been living without gluten and dairy for about 7 years now and had the exact same symptoms you described. For me I react to casein which is very often found in foods that are labeled dairy free. Reading labels is a must. I am very sensitive and with that being said I do fine with ghee as a butter alternative since the milk proteins have been removed. I have a ton of awesome recipes that are gfcf and also have a child that has celiac/ dairy allergies and she is happy with the food options we have created for her. The key is to not rely to heavily on any one grain or legume as this can become problematic with allergies to that grain/legume. ( not for everyone, but for some) soy and rice being being very common for this type of thing. Plus variety is just good for our diet and nutritional needs anyhow. Please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to help you with recipes and ways to convert some of your favorites to dairy free or gluten and dairy free.
#8 of 11 Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM

I urge caution regarding ghee for dairy allergic people. Some do react to ghee.
#9 of 11 Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM

I totally get what your saying, however I feel that the context of what was written was from a personal standpoint versus a "hey this is what you should do" I was just pointing out options....one of which has worked for me.
#10 of 11 Old 06-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athora80 View Post

I have been allergic to dairy since I was a baby and I think my 2 year old is also allergic but I have yet to get him tested. I am stubborn when it comes to giving it up but it's getting harder to keep eating it. My body has changed so much since I had my son and my dairy reactions have flared. I have Chronic Fatigue (or my doc THINKS I so), never actually diagnosed, I have bad GERD with esophagitis and gastritis, brain fog and difficulty concentrating and I have bad anxiety. I think a lot of it is due to my diet, I eat a lot of dairy and I need to completely cut it out. The trouble is I am sleep deprived and constantly chasing a wild 2 year old boy who only stops when he sleeps. I need some ideas of snacks and meals without dairy. I have the butter substitute covered (earth balance). I would love to find a good source of dairy free chocolate for my sweet tooth. Any ideas or resources would be awesome!

Lots of times, allergies and intolerances are hereditary, and mine certainly flared after giving birth!  All the symptoms you described (chronic fatigue, GERD & digestive problems, brain fog/difficulty concentrating, anxiety) are also symptoms of celiac.  I had the same problems before going gluten free, and I feel like a different person!  Gluten is hidden in so many different products, you could be eating it all the time and not even realize it.  The only way to find out for sure if you have celiac is a total elimination diet - even a biopsy can give a false negative.  Avoid all gluten and dairy for at least a few weeks - watch out for the hidden ones like modified food starch, maltodextrin, dextrose, etc. - and see how you feel.  If you feel better, then reintroduce it and feel like doody, you'll know!  winky.gif  If it turns out you're celiac too, you'll be SO happy you found out.  www.celiac.org has some good resources.

Snack ideas that will give you energy to keep up with the little one include: Lara Bars, Perfect Foods Bars (if you can tolerate whey - some can do why but not casein), GF/DF crackers with nut butter and apple slices, potato chips with bean dip or hummus (my fave is black bean-lime hummus!), dairy-free candied nuts/seeds/trail mix, fresh fruits and veggies are always great! 

We use Soy-free Earth Balance, since soy is really hard on the gut for celiacs and we can't tolerate it.  I LOVE So Delicious Coconut Milk products - they have awesome yogurts, kefir-like cultured coconut milk which is great for fruit smoothies that you can pack with nutrients, even ice creams!  Flax milk is a great substitute as well, and the kids love it (we like Good Karma brand) - use it on GF cereals, in recipes, just by the glass, in coffee or hot cocoa.  Rudi's has an awesome GF/DF sandwich bread (works best lightly toasted in a GF toaster), Food for Life has brown rice English muffins and tortillas (work best lightly fried like quesadillas or taco shells, I keep a spritz bottle of safflower oil by the stove).  Pamela's products are wonderful - I love the recipes on her big baking mix package, and use the flax  milk and coconut milk Greek yogurt in place of sour cream in her coffee cake recipe.  I sneak ground flaxseed in almost everything baked.

For the sweet tooth, Alter Eco has an awesome selection of dairy-free soy-free chocolate, and Enjoy Life has started doing allergy-friendly chocolate bars as well.  Check out your local Natural Grocers or Whole Foods, read labels, and see what looks good!  Our local store has Cocomels, caramels made from coconut milk...MMMMM!!! they are good!!

Recipe ideas: I came up with a GFDF Eggs Benedict, for the decadent breakfast you've missed!  Hollandaise: Whisk constantly 2 egg yolks + 2tsp flax milk in a double boiler (or ceramic bowl set in a pan with 1" or so boiling water); once they start to get creamy and thick, remove pan from heat and whisk while slowwwly pouring in 1/2 cup melted Earth Balance. Whisk in about 2 tsp lemon juice or to taste, some salt and a dash of cayenne.  Serve over brown rice English muffins topped with ham or Canadian bacon (I like Boar's Head All natural) and eggs.  Yum!!

I like to do aioli with canola mayo: just mix in some minced fresh garlic, chopped fresh basil, lemon zest and juice, salt & pepper...it works great with salmon & GF pasta or rice, and even my picky kids love it!  You can just change the herbs to make it totally different, like use cilantro, lime, and Cajun seasoning for a Mexican aioli, serve with blackened chicken, Spanish rice & veggies.  

Another one of our favorites is tacos with brown rice tortillas, black beans cooked with Bearitos taco seasoning, your choice of meat, lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa, etc.  You'll never miss the cheese! 

Maybe try some of our favorite homemade chicken strips: slice boneless-skinless chicken breast into strips, soak in a mixture of beaten egg with a little flax milk, minced garlic, a dash of mustard & cayenne; dredge in a mix of GF all-purpose flour with dried Italian seasoning, GF panko bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt & pepper; fry in safflower oil over med heat until browned all over and cooked through.  Serve with baked potatoes with Earth Balance, or make your favorite potato salad with mayo and no sour cream, and some watermelon slices.  Dip the chicken strips in honey instead of ranch dressing for a kid-friendly dairy-free treat!

Use the same chicken strip recipe for Chicken Parmesan without the Parmesan: just cook up some GF pasta and top with your favorite marinara.  One of my husband's favorites!

I realize you posted this months ago, but I know I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.  Hope this helps!!  Bon appetit!  eat.gif

Mostly SAH mama bf.jpg with DS1, 8yo blahblah.gif  DS2, 5yobouncy.gif   DD1, 3yoenergy.gif& my awesome DH surf.gif  Waiting for DD2, due Aug 2014!  stork-girl.gif 
#11 of 11 Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 AM

We do not have dairy allergies but these are a few of our favorite dairy free recipes - no butter, not cream, no cheese.

Eggs on Potatoes & Green Beans - I add some red onion in befor adding the garlic/red pepper, I also buy frozen hashbrowns to make it easier for me.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/crispy_potatoes_with_green_beans_eggs.html

This pork & butternut squash dish is perfect for fall.  I often serve it with rice on Night 1 and toss any leftovers with egg noodles for Night 2, though I'm not sure if egg noodles are dairy free.  The squash can be pureed with extra stock/broth for a soup (I never add cream to it).

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2009/09/30/pork_chops_with_roasted_apples_and_squash/

Sausages & roasted vegetables

http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/lazy-sunday-casserole

And this is a vegan quinoa & chickpea salad that holds up really well in the refridgerator.

http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2013/02/quinoa-vegetable-salad-with-lemon-basil.html

As for chocolate cravings, maybe try searching for vegan dessert recipes.  A very popular one has been going around Pinterest about using bananas to make an ice cream like dessert.  I've never tried it but it may be worth a shot.  Coconut milk could also be a go to for some of your treats.

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page