Cooking without a microwave by choice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm sure I'm not the only one here on Mothering who doesn't use a microwave for health reasons. I haven't seen any research showing how microwaves make food unhealthy, just heard it from a chiropractor's wife, and I believed her so now I use stainless steel or glass pots and pans (I also avoid teflon/nonstick cookware).

If you don't use a microwave, why not? Please share so we can all learn.

Do you have any favorite recipes to share with the crock pot, oven, stove, etc. - not the microwave?

Thanks! :)

countryangels likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#2 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have never had a microwave... as far as cooking you just cook. Most recipes are for stoves, ovens, etc. so just google what you'd like!

Forest  treehugger.gifMushroom whale.gif

#3 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, forestmushroom...I know how to cook without a microwave. I was hoping to get a discussion started anyway.

#4 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some interesting articles for those who are interested:

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm  The Proven Dangers of Microwaves

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/11/05/microwave-food.aspx  Do You Microwave Your Food? You're Zapping Away Nutrients and Risking Your Health

#5 of 20 Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM

A few years ago our microwave broke. We didn't use it for much anyway so we just didn't replace it.

We cook using the stove, oven, slow cooker or grill.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 20 Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 AM

We lived without a microwave for about 10 years. We had one but when it broke we chose not to replace it. I rarely missed it. We used it mostly to warm up leftovers, steam veggies and quickly make hot chocolate. I can do all of those things in a pot on the stovetop. It just takes a little more patience. 

The house we reside in currently had a microwave when we moved in. We've fallen back into the habit of heating things quickly in it, but I rarely cook in it. Last week I used it once to steam some frozen edamame. It was the first time I had "cooked" with the microwave in a month or two.

I have lots of favourite recipes but here is how my kids like their hot chocolate:

Heat 1 cup of milk to just below simmering. Add 2 Tbsp. hot chocolate mix (we use Ghirardelli cocoa with ground chocolate), 1/4 to 1/2 tsp vanilla (I don't measure, just add a smidge) and mix. 

Separately foam* 1/4 cup of cold milk. Add to the hot chocolate mix and fold in gently. 

Top with chocolate shavings, mini-marshmallows, or a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg or vanilla sugar. 

*There are different methods to foam milk. You can use a contraption that looks like french press coffee maker, or a battery-powered mini-whisk or just pour the milk into a mason jar, close the lid tightly and shake for a minute or two. It's easier to foam cold milk. That's why I do it separately rather than try to foam all of the hot milk. Adding the cold foamed milk also helps to make the hot chocolate the right temperature for drinking. 

#7 of 20 Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM

We haven't had one in about 15 years. I am not too concerned about the health aspects, although I could be convinced winky.gif (I never liked standing next to them during operation). We lived in Europe previously & didn't have one, so we just never bothered to get one when we moved back to the US. We didn't eat microwave meals before anyway. The only time I occasionally think it would be good to have one is when I forget to defrost meat, but we aren't eating that much meat right now either. It takes a bit to learn how to reheat leftovers, but once you get the hang of it, that's no problem either.

I did have one of my DD's friends look at me in shock when I was reheating beans in a pot on the stove and say, "You can do that???" ROTFLMAO.gif

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#8 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

we don't use a microwave because the thought of radiating our food sound awful. i feel like it's one of those things in 20 years a rare cancer..link to microwave. i could be totally wrong but that's my motivation.

favorite recipe is

chicken chilli with garbanzo beans,corn,chicken cumin,poblano chile,cayenne..with cheese on top eaten with organic tortilla chips. i could post exact recipe if anyone wants.

#9 of 20 Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

I'm sure I'm not the only one here on Mothering who doesn't use a microwave for health reasons. I haven't seen any research showing how microwaves make food unhealthy, just heard it from a chiropractor's wife, and I believed her so now I use stainless steel or glass pots and pans (I also avoid teflon/nonstick cookware).

If you don't use a microwave, why not? Please share so we can all learn.

Do you have any favorite recipes to share with the crock pot, oven, stove, etc. - not the microwave?

Thanks! :)

thumb.gif I do not like microwaves either. Thanks for the links.

#10 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

You're welcome, countryangels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

we don't use a microwave because the thought of radiating our food sound awful. i feel like it's one of those things in 20 years a rare cancer..link to microwave. i could be totally wrong but that's my motivation.

favorite recipe is

chicken chilli with garbanzo beans,corn,chicken cumin,poblano chile,cayenne..with cheese on top eaten with organic tortilla chips. i could post exact recipe if anyone wants.

Please do post the recipe, tracyamber. I'm not a scientist but what you said about cancer sort of makes sense, considering you are what you eat.

#11 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM

Here is a good resource for recipes:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

They are all made in the slow cooker/crockpot, which I use a lot.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#12 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 AM

I never really "cooked" in the microwave. That seems weird to me, and my DH refuses to eat anything that gets steamed in the bag in the microwave, like veggies. Cooking plastic? Yuck!

I do sometimes re-heat food in the microwave, but its maybe 3-4 times a month at most. I use the stove top or toaster oven for that. Oh how I love my toaster oven :)

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#13 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

I never really "cooked" in the microwave. That seems weird to me, and my DH refuses to eat anything that gets steamed in the bag in the microwave, like veggies. Cooking plastic? Yuck!

I do sometimes re-heat food in the microwave, but its maybe 3-4 times a month at most. I use the stove top or toaster oven for that. Oh how I love my toaster oven :)

Yes, I don't have a toaster oven but I think it would be very useful. We have a panini grill that has been very handy. 

For steaming veggies in the microwave, I do it rarely too, usually only when the stovetop is occupied with a bunch of other pots and pans. When I do, I put them in a glass bowl along with a couple of tablespoons of water and cover lightly. It takes about the same amount of time as it does to re-heat cold leftovers. I don't like cooking plastic either. In fact, I don't like storing in plastic. We've managed to get rid of most of our plastic containers. 

#14 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM

We banished the microwave a few years ago. Microwaves destroy the water cells in the food we prepare, that's what creates the heat. All our cells are made of water, so we figure "why treat this basis of life so irreverently." I am gravitating more and more to eating as much raw food as possible. Because I want the cells in our bodies to be as pure as possible.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#15 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Here is a good resource for recipes:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

They are all made in the slow cooker/crockpot, which I use a lot.

Thank you! Here is another one:

Eatingwell.com

#16 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri31 View Post

We banished the microwave a few years ago. Microwaves destroy the water cells in the food we prepare, that's what creates the heat. All our cells are made of water, so we figure "why treat this basis of life so irreverently." I am gravitating more and more to eating as much raw food as possible. Because I want the cells in our bodies to be as pure as possible.

Microwaves cause molecules in food to move which creates friction, the heat generated by this friction cooks the food. Nothing has 'water cells'. A cell, by definition, contains more than just water. Cooking food using any method can destroy cells. Cutting up food can destroy cells. Chewing destroys cells. Digestion destroys cells. 

We don't use a microwave either. I don't like the idea of my food being exposed to microwave radiation. That, and the food that comes out doesn't taste very good!

#17 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 AM

I don't use my micro often.   Mainly b/c foods just don't taste the same.  Reheated pizza is much better in the oven!  Things don't cook evenly and makes them hard or soft or soggy.  Also like PP's stated the radiation.    I stopped using it about the time my Mom got breast cancer and underwent radiation and was specifically told to avoid my kids on those days.   (they were 3 and months old at the time)   I figured it couldn't be much more different than a micro.  

Now, I heat everything in the oven or stove top.   DH uses the micro to heat things mostly.   And I yell if he puts plastic in there!!!  

I can't wait till it dies (it's "only" 8 years old, so I'm counting the days!!) so I can toss it and get some counter space back!!!

As far as recipes for the crock pot.  I'm going to say if you aren't on pintrest, you should be.  There's tons of recipes!!!  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#18 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elus0814 View Post

Microwaves cause molecules in food to move which creates friction, the heat generated by this friction cooks the food. Nothing has 'water cells'. A cell, by definition, contains more than just water. Cooking food using any method can destroy cells. Cutting up food can destroy cells. Chewing destroys cells. Digestion destroys cells. 

We don't use a microwave either. I don't like the idea of my food being exposed to microwave radiation. That, and the food that comes out doesn't taste very good!

Duly noted and Sorry I meant a cell's water.

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#19 of 20 Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 AM

We've never owned a microwave either.  In fact, I was just dismayed to read the sidebar article on MDC entitled something like "Meals that are Environmentally and Toddler Friendly" and 2 of the 3 instructed to use a microwave to do the cooking :(  I don't like being anywhere near one when it is in action.  It's just not natural and I know there will be cancer links with it one day.  We use a toaster oven for the small cooking jobs (roasting a few potatoes, heating up leftover lasagna, etc.).  It's so normal for us, it always throws me for a loop when people exclaim to me, "How on earth do you survive without a microwave?!?"

countryangels likes this.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#20 of 20 Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

We've never owned a microwave either.  In fact, I was just dismayed to read the sidebar article on MDC entitled something like "Meals that are Environmentally and Toddler Friendly" and 2 of the 3 instructed to use a microwave to do the cooking :(  I don't like being anywhere near one when it is in action.  It's just not natural and I know there will be cancer links with it one day.  We use a toaster oven for the small cooking jobs (roasting a few potatoes, heating up leftover lasagna, etc.).  It's so normal for us, it always throws me for a loop when people exclaim to me, "How on earth do you survive without a microwave?!?"

It's kind of funny when people ask that because they haven't stopped to think and realize that for most of human history, people cooked without microwaves. :)

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page