Could you do it on a food stamp budget? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a family of 7(2
adults kids ranging b/w 1 & 11years) and already feed everyone a whole foods/ paleo diet on about $500 a month. According to the food stamp calculator we could receive $650 a month.
#32 of 37 Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seposte View Post

We have a family of 7(2
adults kids ranging b/w 1 & 11years) and already feed everyone a whole foods/ paleo diet on about $500 a month. According to the food stamp calculator we could receive $650 a month.

Where do you live? Do you grow your own food? How do you do it?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#33 of 37 Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 AM

We live outside of the suburbs around Charleston, SC. We shop at Walmart and Trader Joe's. we do not currently have a garden. A sample day would look some thing like this ; breakfast- 2 fried eggs per person, one ham steak. Cut into strips, covered in apple sauce, lunch-meatballs with home made sauce over spaghetti squash, Dinner- baked boneless skinless chicken breasts shredded, wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves, topped with salsa. We drink mostly water. Have a bowl full of apples, oranges, bananas, etc for snacks. We buy frozen veggies and fruit for some things. We buy organic for most of the dirty dozen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Where do you live? Do you grow your own food? How do you do it?
#34 of 37 Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 AM

buy a big bag of rice big as you can afford as it's not usually covered by food stamps and pair it into other dishes to stretch it out if you need to you can do it with food pantry help my mother fed 3 littles and my dad and her on a food stamps budget or just under it if your just above the income cap it's basically less for years rice, beans buying things when they got on sale and cheap enough for her to afford fresh fruit other than 49 cent banana's was a luxury but it can be done.

#35 of 37 Old 07-13-2013, 02:46 AM

We live on about $350 a month for a family of 3 (mom, dad and 2-year-old). I thought that was super frugal until i saw some of the comments in this thread. Sheesh, a lot of you have me beat! I have to admit i'm not perfect with making everything from scratch, but i do alright. We probably eat more meat than we need to and feta cheese...mmm feta cheese.

My biggest money saver is shopping at Super King (http://skmarkets.com/). I believe these markets are only in Southern Cali, but there are probably markets like it in other areas, too. It is very cheap but has good quality food. You can get a full shopping cart filled with fruit, veggies, bread, meat, trail mix, yogurt, milk, butter, rice, beans, pretty much everything your heart desires for under $200! It almost feels like i'm stealing lol.gif. We have so much food after that that we dont need to go to the store again for two and a half to three weeks. Its so awesome. The only downside is its like visiting a third world country because its filled almost shoulder to shoulder with mostly poor people (i know that sounds kind of rude but i dont know how else to describe it). Oh well, small price to pay for the huge discount you get. I would look into finding a good discount store wherever you are located, they've gotta be out there. Some are ghetto, some are nice, just do your research.
#36 of 37 Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Our weekly budget just went up to the USDA thrifty plan. I was feeling guilty about spending so much but we're healthier with way less grains and beans and cheese, more meat and veg and oils. I am learning to stock up on sales better and inch it back down though. Also fishing and wildharvesting. Hard to imagine they think it's a minimum, to me it's luxury. But not one I'm willing to give up. In fact I'd like to stock up further ahead just in case (say groceries couldn't get stocked due to weather or DH lost his job but the severance didn't get paid or who knows what).

#37 of 37 Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 AM

$668 is what my family of 4 could max out at. We typically spend $500-700 a month on groceries now this doesn't include eating out which we as a family typically do 2x a month.

Edit. We also stock up our pantry up and I am not a coupon queen.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page