What's your freezer situation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd love to follow much of the advice and strategies for prepping and freezing bulk ingredients, meal components and full meals, especially as I am planning for a hectic life with a new baby and changing priorities.

However, our freezer is really tiny. It barely fits a bag of frozen fruit and a humble assortment of frozen meats and veggies, much less package after package of meals and baby food and breastmilk... etc. 

We rent, so replacing the fridge is not an option, but maybe getting a second, smaller freezer is. Does anyone have anything like this? If so, can you share what model/make it is and where you put it?

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Subbing this because we desire one of those too!

lurk.gif

cynthiamoon likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We got a nice freezer for $70 at home depot a couple years ago- it might have been on sale though- I honestly don't remember. It isn't huge by any means, but holds ALOT. Way more than our family of 5 ever needed (and we had half a cow in there with room to spare).

I'm not at home now to check the brand, but I can later and post. We used to keep it in our laundry room, but moved to the back porch to make room for husband's bike
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM

We bought a larger-small chest freezer.  It stay in the garage next to the door that leads into the kitchen.  It has helped me a lot to be able to freeze meals.  I think we picked it up from Craigslist.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#5 of 7 Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Wow... Just $70? I'd love to know the brand if you are happy with it!

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 AM

I have four kids, so for me, bulk is the name of the game. 
My hubby and I just troll craigslist until we find the right magical freezer that pops up.  Right now, we've got a 1984 21cf Gibson in the garage, and a 1984 13cf GE in the laundry room, both amazing CL finds, and just the right price ($100 and $35 respectively).  And a 2011 7cf Haier from Costco that we need to sell (got that one out of desperation back then, nothing popped on CL that fall when we needed it). 

I'm not a fan of the newer ones, to be honest.  We got a 5cf one from Sears as a wedding present.  The warranty is good for 5 years.  So guess what happened when it was 5.5 years old?  That's right, I cried over how much salmon we had to toss.  :(  The newer ones can't be fixed/recharged (go ask your appliance repair guy), and most of them are self-defrosting which means they are rough on your food with all the constant heating and cooling.  The older ones are freakin' indestructible and last forever, and usually manual defrost.  My elderly neighbor has an awesome 1950's Montgomery Ward freezer that's still going, and solid as all get out (it's seriously so awesome that he's written us into his will to get it if he dies).  The manual defrost can be a bit of a pain, but it's doable.  You get the hang of it, my defrosting gets smoother and smoother each year I do it.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#7 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

We have a 7.0 cubic foot model that we got from Home Depot a few years ago before our son was born. I think we paid about $150 for it, and it's been worth every penny. It stores a ton of food, but it doesn't take up as much space as the big ones. We rent a two bedroom apartment that's just under a thousand square feet, so we have a nicely sized eat-in kitchen. It just sits in a corner - in between our back door and the window. There's plenty of room for our kitchen table to sit in front of it. And bonus - during the holidays or parties I just throw a tablecloth over it and it becomes a sideboard. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page