Cheap AND Vegan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a family of 4 who all LOVE meat and cheese. I know for many reasons we must go vegan and money is crazy bad. So please tell me your cheap and vegan recipes! Thanks

#2 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Cauliflower soup:

Cauliflower floret

onion

carrot

garlic - all chopped

saute in olive oil

Cover with water +1 " (feel free to season with vegetarian boullion or just seasoning)

Boil and then simmer on low

In a separete saucepan bring to a boil 1 cup of soy/almond/other milk and 6 tsp flour - once thickened add to cauliflower mixture.

Adjust seasonings, let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Cowboy Caviar

Garbanzo, kidney, black eyed peas, black bean, corn

one can each

green onion chopped

tomato

bell peppers

cilantro

vinegarette salad dressing of some kind -

I really like Italian

Mix together until its a good consistency. I like to do a few pulses in a food processor to blend it... Good on tortillas, crackers, chips....

These are both good recipes that are cheap, hope your family likes.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Sometimes I fry corn tortillas with mashed potatoes inside. Surprisingly good. I received an order by accident at a mexican restaurant years ago. I would never have thought of the idea, but super good. :)

Pinto beans (soak overnight) - boil and simmer...when done - season to taste. Add some rice and you got a completely delicious vegan, cheap meal.

Lentils and barley - Lentils, carrot, onion, barley - bring to boil with seasonings. Simmer about an hour. Yum.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#4 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Honey Baked Lentils:

http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/10/honey-baked-lentils.html

Just made this for the first time. I made the version where you add a cup of brown rice & up the water to 4 1/2 cups & cooked in the crockpot. You can sub maple syrup (or maybe agave syrup?) for honey.

Red Lentil Soup with Spinach and Lemon:

http://www.pinkofperfection.com/2011/03/red-lentil-soup-with-spinach-and-lemon/

Sweet Chili Lime Tofu:

http://veganyumyum.com/2008/06/sweet-chili-lime-tofu-with-wok-steamed-collards-and-quinoa/

I serve this with plain cooked rice instead of quinoa - any grain works. Limes are cheap at Mexican groceries; here they are sometimes 10-12 for $1. Tofu is usually about $2 for a block. Also any greens work for this, and all greens are generally cheap.

Veg Pasta e Fagioli:

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/weekday-vegetarian-pasta-e-fagioli.html

Minus the parmesan, it's vegan. This has been on my list to make for a while - looks yummy!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#5 of 6 Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Spaghetti aglio olio:

http://www.yumsugar.com/Spaghetti-Garlic-Olive-Oil-Chili-Flakes-21398824

Good with a salad or some steamed broccoli on the side.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 6 Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM

I made a weird random meal the other day that was awesome.  I cooked some pinto beans (with some onion, chili powder, cayenne, and salt) until they were done, then cooked the water down pretty low, then mashed them up.  They were kinda like refried beans, but obviously not fried, and taste better than the stuff in the can.  Then I made some flat bread (1 part water, 2 parts whole wheat flour, dash of salt, let sit for 30 minutes to 2 hours, roll out, heat on a dry skillet about medium - medium high).  Put the beans on the bread, topped with avocado, yum!  Tomatoes would have been good on there too, and onions.

A note about the flat bread.  If you want to substitute white flour, you have to fry it, instead of dry pan cooking.  I don't know why, but it just doesn't cook right. 

~Dawn

Blah blah blah

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page