Meal Planning while Daddy is deployed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Daddy is gone for 6 months and I am at home with a 3.5 and 1.5 year old.

Meals have gone to crapola! While I think I'm still doing ok with breakfast...and maybe lunch, dinner has definitely suffered.

I can't make myself cook a full meal when I know that I will be the one mostly eating it! 3.5 DD is very, very picky and 1.5 will eat a lot of things, but of course... not enough to make up for DH's portion of the meal.

What do you cook when it's just you and the babes?

I eat practically everything!

DD eats practically nothing (pasta, cheese, random chicken nuggets, breads, sweets, etc)

They both LOVE fruit.

I also try to use the "Deceptively Delicious" method of hiding veggies in almost everything I make.

Hit me with recipes! I would love to get some ideas before I head to the grocery and CostCo tomorrow eyesroll.gif

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM

How about cooking the same amount and just freezing the leftover portion for days you do not want to cook or don't want to eat what your dd will eat? You can freeze most foods pretty well.

http://www.favoritefreezerfoods.com/foods-that-can-freeze-well.html

http://www.recipelink.com/rcpmenus.html

When it is just dd and I eating we don't always eat the same meal. I like a lot more things than dd.

My dd likes chili, minestrone, rice, mashed potatoes, french fries, egg rolls, pancakes, waffles, manicotti, spaghetti, chicken nuggets, turkey, ham, pork chops, General Tso's chicken, cheese burgers, veggie burgers, falafel, gyros, tacos, meatballs, plain chicken, bbq chicken sandwich, macaroni salad, sloppy joes, philly cheesesteak sandwich, beef stew, ravioli, red beans and rice, bean burrito, quesadilla, nachos, mac & cheese, fried eggs, hard boiled eggs, egg salad, tuna noodle casserole, baked potatoes, yogurt, oatmeal, chocolate farina, roast beef, corned beef, tortilla, naan, pita bread, pbj sandwich, hot ham and cheese sandwich, fry bread, cold cereal, pudding, cheese, crackers, ice cream, cake, cookies, and fruit of all kinds.

Maybe something on that list will inspire you.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM

I'm a single mom and I cook for myself and my daughter. I also shop at Costco smile.gif Do you have freezer space?

Here are two "batch" things I've made this weekend in preparation for recuperation from surgery later this week:

Pork Rolls:

4-7 lb country style (boneless) pork
Big jar of salsa
2 cans refried beans
Corn tortillas (3 to 4 bags)

Put pork in crockpot, cover with salsa, and cook all day or overnight on low. Strain the meat and shred in a big bowl; add refried beans. Mix and roll into corn tortillas (I toast tortillas first, optional.) pack into ziploc freezer bags. I get quite a batch from one round of this and we pull them from the freezer in portions of two or four and reheat or toast them with hot sauce or veggies. I'm sure many variations can be used. I've also made "Breakfast Burritos" with sausage, cheese and egg in large portions and froze them as well to good effect.

Ropa Viejo:
4-6 lb Chuck or other beef roast
3 onions, sliced
4-6 poblano peppers, chopped
Garlic
Olive oil
One can tomato paste
1-2 cups red wine
2 Bay leaves

Salt and pepper roast, brown it, put in crockpot with 2 cups water. Cook on low all day or overnight. Shred the meat and retain the juice. Sauté onions and as much garlic as you like in olive oil until soft/fragrant. Add peppers and sauté a bit longer. Combine with meat, juice, and remaining ingredients. Simmer for an hour or more.
This is good over rice, or as taco filling, or over noodles. It freezes great in portions too.

This is of course assuming you eat meat but I'm sure substitutes can be made even if not.
In general we eat a lot of salads, fruit and veggies in season, and eggs in various ways as well.

Good luck and happy cooking!
#4 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my! Thank you so much! I can't wait to try these recipes :) I will let yall know how it goes!

Army Wife & SAHM hang.gif  to energy.gifDD 06/09 & belly.gif DS 06/11    cd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page