Paleo diet while in poverty; also eating raw (not meat) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible?

We could also eat some dairy which we will be getting from WIC.

Does anyone have any links or menu plans?

I am overwhelmed with figuring out the details. I am also pregnant with twins due in July. I NEED to increase my protein and have seemingly become sensitive to gluten. ??? I also have hypoglycemia.

Our goal is to eat 51% raw, but that had never actually happened.

HELP!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

You'd need to buy the cheapest lean meats, fruits, veggies, and nuts you can find. WIC isn't compatible at all, it's all about dairy, legumes, and grains. You could do a loose version of it with milk and some beans but that's not actually paleo. Look for carrots, broccoli, cabbage, turnips, apples, bananas, plus anything in season on a good sale in the produce section except for potatoes and corn. Get bulk tree nuts. Buy meat on sale, or buy in bulk from a farm if you can find a deal. You'll need to shop flexibly and make your own menu I think. Get lots of good eggs, the good ones are still cheaper than meat. Use inexpensive greens as filler instead of grains.

It's totally paleo to go wildcrafting, if you have time for it. Learn what grows near you when, how to id it, and when the seasons come go on a nature hike for greens, mushrooms, berries, etc. Grow anything you can at home without a big start up cost.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/foodsavings/tp/Cheapest_Produce.htm

http://www.paleodietfoodlist.net/paleo-diet-food-list/

#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM

If you can get some kefir grains, go for it. ABout a thrid of my wic milk I would make into kefir, a thrid would become yogurt  (not as hard as you think! I followed crockpot365 blog's instructions) and then I'd strain it to make it thick greek style and use the whey for soaking oatmeal or grains or for things like muffing or pancake batter.

We aren't all paleo, but we are gluten free, and meals I try to make paleo-ish when I can. So we do eat rice (wic item) and love mexican, so corn tortillas are in (wic item) and I do make other mexican/latin items with maseca (corn flour masa, nixtamalizado) like sopes, tamales, or brazilian pao de queso.

If you don't think you are too sensative to gluten, you might be able to use the wic oatmeal, soak it in whey overnight, and since quaker oatmeal is already so chopped up, you will have something like porrige after you cook it. Or try googling a 'baked oatmeal', it might work for that. (Also freezable!!) . We are very sensative, so any cross contamination for us rules wic oatmeal out. We need to buy certified gluten free oats.  So wic cereal (GF rice krispies, or GF chex) is a treat or a snack, or makes it into the food shelf donation bin, depending on our needs.

We eat raw more seasonally, being in the colder, frozen north, I always feel weird getting certain veggies  in January. So of those times, I get canned or frozen. Also, you might have less time for prepping raw with the babies...so don't beat yourself up if some of your veggies came from a steamer bag in the microwave. At least they are veggies!

Cabbage goes a long way, raw or cooked. Cabbage 'rolls' or cups are paleo-ish, leave out the rice, or sub with 'cauliflower rice'...they came out great in the crock pot. We make various slaws with cabbage too, apple slaw, mexi-slaw, asian slaw.  Also for stir frys or soba-less yaki soba (basically, leave out the soba noodles and use shave cabbage for 'noodle effect') Frittatas or omlets or 'clafoutis' or dutch oven pancakes...all use lots of eggs. We buy lots of eggs, we'll get one organic/pasture type egg, and use those for fried, poached or soft boiled eggs during the week, or it things with raw or undercooked eggs. We use regular eggs for everything else.

Peanut butter (wic item) I used for makeing flourless PB cookies (they work fine with less sugar if you make them smaller, you could even add a bit of ground flax too) or for 'powerbars' Elana's pantry blog has some good recipes and you can just sub in the PB for other nut butters. These were a must when nursing. I made a ton and froze them in smaller dishes. I would pull them out into the fridge as needed. And if I was sleep deprived and starving, I had a couple power bars or balls to tide me over.

Choose canned salmon over tuna (wic item) but tuna is good too. Make 'patties' with it, eggs, sub crushed cereal for the crackers, or some GF flour or starch, and fry...or it might work without it IF you strain the juice from the salmon meat really well.

Also, bone broth and stock!

#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM

I don't have much info to offer but am a twin mamma. Have you checked out the brewer diet? Not sure if its too expensive to follow? Lots of eggs, yogurt, etc but its a great plan with some reminders of where to get protein from.

Also, breastfeeding is sooo cheap vs formula feeding but yet can be quite a challenge with twins (and singletons too). The affordable healthcare act includes lactation consults. If you plan to breastfeed, if suggest you do some research and maybe line up supports so you can be more likely to be successful since formula is so expensive! Supports = Le leche league or breastfeeding USA meetings, lactation consultant to call, books to read. Message me if you want to discuss. I had an extremely difficult start but pulled through after about 3 mos.

Momma of twins born in May, 2011. 32 weekers. Loving every minute. Breastfeeding still going strong as toddlers after crazy rocky beginning with bottle feeding in NICU for a month. Would love to share any information about how we made it to breastfeeding today with anyone in need of support  

#5 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I eat a high-fat paleo-esque diet that is over 50% raw.

I think that it would be easier to eat a high-fat diet than a low-fat diet on a budget. Fat is the most calorie-dense food there is. You can stretch out meals significantly by adding as little as 2T fat.

I personally think that high-fat low-carb is the healthiest diet, so since you are pregnant, your health would be even more important.

Ways I get low-cost raw fat into my diet is to buy good eggs and take the yolks raw, up to 4/day (the whites I save and stir into cooked meals); buy lots of grass-fed raw butter and freeze it, melt 1-2T over every meal; do the same with coconut oil; and drink raw cream.

Non-raw tips are that if you get canned fish, get it in olive oil instead of water (free fat); buy high-fat natural hamburger and sausage, which I think may be cheaper than lean.

I don't eat a lot of vegetables or fruits. I use dried seaweed, herbs fresh or dried, and dried fruit mostly. I've found that produce is extremely expensive for the nutrition you get and the amount that you have to eat to feel full. I also think that it's bad for the colon. This isn't a very popular opinion, so you should do your own research on this point.

Don't be discouraged, just do the best you can and keep working on refinements as your situation changes so that you move closer to the goal you want.

#6 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your input. My iron and vitamin D levels came back low...so I am refiguring how to work this.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 7 Old 04-04-2013, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Besides red meat, raw egg yolk is also good source of iron. Also vitamin D. It's one of my favorite foods for the value it offers.

Best wishes!

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page