The "Holy Grail" of Dinner - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What's your all-time Winning Recipe?  You know the one... Everyone loves it, it's frugal, it's fairly easy (or freeze-friendly), and it's so healthy you feel like you're wearing a halo when you serve it.  Share your recipe so we can all be so virtuous!  :)

Here's one to start:

Sweet Potato Chili

1 large onion, diced
3 sweet potatoes, cubed
2 zucchini, diced
2 cans black beans, rinsed (or 1 1/2-ish cups dried beans, precooked)
28 oz diced tomatoes
2 cups water or broth
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder (I use just a dash for baby, then we add hot sauce to ours)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (can omit if beans/tomatoes are salted)
2 tsp orange zest (optional)

Combine and bring to a boil, then cook on medium until potatoes are done.  Actually much better the next day after it thickens.
Snapdragon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My healthy recipes that everyone loves don't really have recipes per say

Refried bean taco salads. I make shell bowls out of flax tortillas,homemade refried beans and we fill the bowls with tons of fresh yummy stuff like tomatoes,peppers,avocado,olives,red onion,spinach and whatever else we fancy

My fave is summer gazpacho. I'll cook dried black beans in the slow cooker so it doesn't heat up the kitchen. Then go to the garden and pick tomatoes,cucumbers,peppers,fresh herbs,greens and then I use whatever we have in the fridge,onions,garlic,celery,carrots. Blend it all and then stir in the black beans. Let it cool in the fridge all afternoon. I do sometimes used jar veggie juice to thin it out or add more flavor. Kids devour it especially if I let them have some tortilla chips with it. I usually top it with avocado,sliced black olives and more chopped fresh herbs especially cilantro

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Mine is probably pasta salad (copied from my old blog Apartment Farm where I posted it originally) - 

• 1 box tricolor rotini
  • 1 small head of crisp lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 1/2 – 2 cups of ham cubes
  • sliced black olives (optional)
  • soy/rice "mozzarella" cubes (or the real thing if you can eat it)(optional)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup of balsamic vinegarette dressing

1.) Cook the pasta until it is al dente. Toss with the olive oil and let it come to room temperature.

2.) Gently toss the rotini with the lettuce, tomatoes, ham, and if using, the olives and mozzarella, until everything is well mixed.

3.) If you are serving it right away, pour in the dressing and toss to coat everything. If you are transporting the salad to a picnic or potluck, carry the dressing in a seperate container and add it when ready to serve (otherwise the salad will become soggy).

ETA - though usually these days I use black olive tapenade instead of sliced olives. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page