How low can your grocery bill go? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm American but living abroad and looking to move back.  I'm trying to figure out the cost of living to see if my husband could get a job to support us (we homeschool).  A friend in Florida has offered to let us stay with her till we get our feet on the ground, and I'm not sure if grocery costs vary from state to state, but a friend in NY said if I'm really frugal I could do all groceries for $650/mo (which sounds sooooo high to me!!) and my Florida friend says $400/mo.  I'm frugal, cook healthy food from scratch, lentils, dried beans, rice and all that. How low could my grocery bill be, including toilet paper, dish soap, etc?   I appreciate your answers soo much, thank you!!!

Oh forgot to mention, it's 2 adults and 2 little girls ages 3 and 5.  

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM

It depends on the state, of course. I am in PA and get away with $250/month for two adults (including one pregnant) and a 5 year old girl but I also buy in bulk from local farmers and grow a garden. I don't think I could get away with going that low if I only had to shop at grocery stores.

crochetsmilie.gifWife to wonderful DH (8/04) and SAHM to DD1 (4/08) and DD2 rainbow1284.gif (7/13)

#3 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 AM

We do $445 for our family. Dh and I are vegetarian and pretty much only ds1 eats meat so that keeps prices down. We choose the produce we buy based on what is on sale. Like this week 6 packs of kiwi and 1 lb strawberry were 99 cents each. Mango 49 cents.apple's are always 99 cents/ lb etc. Avocado we stocked up for 4/$1

Pet food and supplies are separate we buy tree free tp so it costs more

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Honestly it's WAY to hard to say. It all depends on where you are/the season ect. I'm in a higher part of Ontario Canada and I can go as low as $45.00 a week if I have to but to be honest most weeks its $100 so I can go at $400.00 a month and that's low according to people around me....tho I HATE spending that much

We're a family of 2 adults(I'm currently very pregnant) and a 6y old, 4y old, and an 18 month old

mommy daddy son daughter = our family

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page