What are your favorite grill recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

We are in a teriyaki rut!!! Help.  What are you favorite grilling recipes for the summer?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I like to make a marinade with sour fresh squeezed orange juice, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. I don't know what to call it....but YUM! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 AM

I don't really do grill "recipes" we're veg and I LOVE to grill a ton of veggies to use up for the week. We normally grill:

eggplant

zuke

peppers

portebello mushrooms

fennel

foiled sliced potatoes

The first night we usually just eat them as a side dish

Then we have them:

on crusty buns w hummus

pizza

cold pasta salad w olives/tomatoes ect

reg pasta

frittatas

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 AM

We love foil packet veggies. Mix up some sliced veggies in a packet of aluminium foil. Add minced garlic, salt, pepper, whatever herbs and spices you like. Lemon juice or salsa could also work. We would usually have this with brown rice or baked potatoes and that would be our meal.

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM

I grilled chicken last week with just salt, pepper & lemon juice. I basted the chicken with the juice while it grilled. Super simple & pretty yummy. I served it with lemony chickpea quinoa salad.

I've also tried fajita marjnade on chicken & veggies. I use a Betty Crocker recipe with veggie oil, red wine vinegar, dry oregano, garlic powder & a littld chili powder.

When I'm in a real rut, I'll buy a bottled bbq sauce, marinade, or salad dressing from the condiment aisle. Its an easy way to change things up.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

We have two standbys we just love and never get tired of - a whiskey barbecue marinade and smoking food. The marinade is great on ribs and chicken. For smoking, you don't need a fancy smoker setup - we use the Cameron's Flavorwood smoke cans. They are so easy to use. Just put one of the cans down in the coals of your standard grill, and you're all set. We do poke a few extra holes in them though with a screwdriver - we find that there's not quite enough smoke with just the one hole. We've done mesquite-smoked burgers and chicken, bourbon-soaked-oak chicken, alder-smoked salmon and even a fantastic apple-smoked pheasant for Thanksgiving one year. So great. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

These are great!!  Looking forward to trying some of these out.

We love foil veggies packets!  We have had really good luck with asparagus and zuchini.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 10-07-2013, 03:34 AM

Bourbon Molasses Chicken from the OAMM site.  There's another grilled pork recipe we've gotten from there too, but it's wandered off and I can't remember it's name.  Very yummy.  We also rotisserie chicken on our grill, so easy (well for me, since the grill is hubby's toy).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM

I love cedar-plank salmon. This summer I discovered that the cedar-plank works wonders with chicken too! Then I tried some short ribs on the plank and they are the best ever...it would probably work with veggies or anything. I hardly know how to grill now without a plank. Steaks are about the only things I still grill the usual way.

You can marinade or season however you normally would but I find that the wood plank smokes and flavors the meat so well that I use very little else. Just soak the plank 12 hrs or so before using it, set the raw meat on top and have at it. I find that it takes longer to cook. With most meats I will place some foil on top to keep meat from browning too fast and high heat until the plank starts smoking. Then you can turn it down pretty low and slow cook for about 45 min. Once it's cooked and tender, then I like to pull the foil off, remove it from the plank and sear it on the bare grill just to put some lines in it and brown up the outside.

For the plank, I just buy untreated cedar fence boards and cut them in whatever length fits the grill. If you are not sure about whether the boards are treated you can buy boards just for grilling but they do cost more. Then I stuff those planks with whatever I'm grilling, several chicken breasts or thighs will fit on onw plank - cram them on there :) You can re-use the boards a few times but you'll need to char the grease off the meat side before you use it again.

I suggest that you have at least a couple pair of good tongs on hand and a big metal spatula for chicken and ribs since you will be removing them to sear them. The tongs help for lifting up foil to peek too.

Tags
Meal Planning , Summer
User Tag List