No-Prep Slow Cooker Recipes that you love?? (fish,poultry,vegetarian only) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in love with my new slow cooker (it's a huge one) that my mom sent me, and she sent along some slow cooker recipe books with it, but most of the recipes involve a half an hour at the stove cooking or sauteeing the ingredients ahead of time.  BLAH!  I want to prepare the cold ingredients and put it all in the crock and plug it in and be DONE.  So I can do it quickly the night before, without firing up the stove and getting sweaty and spending half an hour or more in the kitchen, or then put everything in the crock the night before and stick it in the fridge, and then first thing in the morning take it out and plug it in and let it cook all day for that night's dinner.

So who has an awesome recipe that involves NO PREP, just simple raw ingredients going straight in together?  

I found one on the internet, which is chicken, black beans (I use wet ones in cardboard cartons), crushed tomatoes I also buy in cardboard cartons, chicken broth (ok that involves a tiny bit of prep, I use my water boiler that I make tea water with to melt the bullion, takes three minutes) frozen corn, onions, garlic, leek, and cilantro.   It makes a great southwest chicken stew that when served with shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips sprinkled on top, is AMAZING.

I want more!  We don't eat red meat.
emkassu likes this.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Coat bottom of crock with olive oil
Cut onion into thick rings and lay them on top of the oil
Plop in a whole chicken
Butter goes under the breast skin and also on top. Sprinkle on seasoning of your choice
Stuff something in the cavity (sprigs of fresh rosemary, more onion, whatever)
If youre not saving the neck and giblets for your dog, toss them in the crock as well
Chop up your choice of veggies and toss those in
Save all veggie scraps!
DO NOT ADD LIQUID

Cook until chicken is done, carve the bird in the crock. When you've gotten off all the best meat and veggies, add veggie scraps, fill to the top with water and leave on high for 24 hours. Strain stock into mason jars and never buy bullion again. smile.gif

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

I can't deal with a raw whole bird.  I'm squeamish about any meat, when cooking I can barely handle chicken breast meat already sliced in the box, or any fish.  

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#4 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafina33 View Post

I can't deal with a raw whole bird.  I'm squeamish about any meat, when cooking I can barely handle chicken breast meat already sliced in the box, or any fish.  

Same.  If my husband and child didn't demand meat from time to time, I would make a kick ass vegan.  However, that whole thing up there sounds a little too good to pass up - a meal AND STOCK?  Swoon.  I am thinking I'll just wear gloves. 

Are you on Pinterest?  There are TONS of slow cooker recipes that involve little to no prep. 

#5 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

I am, but I was hoping to get an idea of what fellow mothering mamas loved to do with their slow cookers. joy.gif

I don't know, but I just don't care that much about making stock, it sounds like too much work, and I think bullion-made stock is so easy and tastes fine.

#6 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here's one... earlier today I threw a boston butt pork into my crockpot. It's cooking now. I dumped a bottle of root beer over it and that is how it is cooking. It's on high for 5 hours. At the last hour, I will drain the liquid and throw in a bottle of BBQ sauce on it, and let it cook for that last hour. Took me minutes. No prep at all. For my sides, I made a macaroni salad, which will last a few days. Will be cutting up raw veggies as another side, and then will heat up baked beans right before we eat. Easy peasy. It's not a one-dish meal, however, but my sides don't take long. The mac salad and veggies can be done ahead of time.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#7 of 27 Old 07-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafina33 View Post

I am, but I was hoping to get an idea of what fellow mothering mamas loved to do with their slow cookers. joy.gif

I don't know, but I just don't care that much about making stock, it sounds like too much work, and I think bullion-made stock is so easy and tastes fine.

Ask the butcher to cut up the bird for you and package it in such a way that all you have to do is open it and dump it in the pot. Dump on the seasonings and that's it.

Making stock in this fashion is ZERO effort. Bullion might taste fine, but it's not actually stock, it's broth. Homemade stock is heavenly and doesn't contain autolyzed yeast extract and a bazillion milligrams of sodium. If you still need convincing, google "traditional foods bone broth".
KistheMum likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 27 Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

There aren't really butchers in the grocery stores here, and certainly the meat counter guys don't speak English. I just can't deal with parts of carcasses outside of the pre-cut filets or breast pieces, which gross me out enough already.
I've only ever seen whole birds already wrapped in plastic in this country, never unpackaged and ready to be prepared in any special way.
But, I promise to ask next time I'm at the store and give it an honest try!

#9 of 27 Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Ah, didn't realize you lived outside the US/Canada!

Bring back the old MDC
#10 of 27 Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

that's me, the hostage expat.

#11 of 27 Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

For what it's worth, you can generally do any recipe in the the "throw-it-all-in" method, but searing the meat and caramelizing the veg and all that first adds another dimension of flavor that you just won't get with a straight braise in the crockpot. 

That being said, I do have a few favorites that qualify for the no prep style of cooking - 

Rotisserie Chicken. I see someone else up thread suggested this and you said you're squeamish about working with a whole bird, but please try it! You don't really have to touch or do anything to it - just take it out of the plastic and plop it in there. The result is so worth it. As a matter of fact, just make your SO do it. :-) 

Baked potatoes - just wrap them individually in foil and toss them in for 4-5 hours on low - put in some foil-wrapped garlic while you're at it for roasted garlic to smear on top with butter. So good!

Lentil soup from the book Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever. You're technically supposed to saute the veg first, but I've done it without doing that first and it was still just as good; it's a soup. Also, if you love to crockpot cook, pick up this book at the library. It's the bible of crockpot cooking. I liked the recipes so much I bought a used copy and it's been a workhorse in my kitchen ever since. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#12 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I second Kitchensqueen's baked potatoes - those are great. Just unwrap and put out on the table with some toppings (cheese, sour cream, onions, whatever vegetables you like).

Don't know if you can get these ingredients where you live, but this is my favorite chili. Very adaptable if you don't have exactly those beans - just use what you have:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/raes-vegetarian-chili/

I also make a chickpea curry kind of like this, except I use pre-packaged spices from the Indian market:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/vegetable-chickpea-curry-10000000701091/

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#13 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Plus another site - look up recipes by protein:

http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/p/recipe-index.html

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#14 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM

BBQ sauce with meat (ground turkey or chicken breast or thighs) and chopped veggies. Add about 1/2 cup of water to keep from burning. use enough bbq sauce to keep it thick yet wet. Cook on low 6-8 hours (add 2 hours if frozen or super big portions). Serve on bun with some broccoli or other quick steamed veggies.
#15 of 27 Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Red beans and rice is a great no prep meal

- add your beans, sausage and whatever other meat you wish into the crock pot with same cajun seasoning and enough water to cover the top, and bam! Magic!

My favorite is a white bean and kale stew with smoked turkey

- add smoked turkey wings, white beans and kale into a crockpot with onions, carrots, celery, fresh rosemary and thyme; cover with chicken stock and cook on love for 6-8 hours. Do not stir after cooking or you will mush up the beans. It's very lighty and healthy.

I also like to do black bean chili - same concept as regular chili but without the meat. I add black beans, red beans and corn

dinahx, witchypants and Geigerin like this.

Me (32) - DH (38) - DS (6) - Atlanta, GA
Expecting #2 in Dec 2014

I blog: allthingsandlife.blogspot.com
#16 of 27 Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

I found this thread http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56340  and I decided the lasagne recipe was the best for my fiance to try with my kids.

He did it!  He bought lasagne and spaghetti sauce and ricotta and mozzarella cheese from the store (with my eldest) and then he and my youngest layered everything in the crockpot, uncooked lasagne sheets and all, even throwing in some cottage cheese on top and parmesean.  

I didn't make dinner!  First dinner I haven't made for everyone in ...ever!  Yay!  31 weeks pregnant and loving the break.

Catholic Mama and witchypants like this.

#17 of 27 Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 AM

Love my crock pot. Great ideas.
#18 of 27 Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM

I really need to start using my crock pot!

I have a few Freezer to crock pot recipes... all you have to do is take a afternoon to prep everything and put it in freezer bags (labeled of course) then in the morning, you pull out a meal, place it frozen into the crock pot then set and go! it's done by dinner time that evening!!

Awesome.

Easy peasey!!!

I've been gathering them from all over the web.... I'm just stick of it being 5:30pm and I'm wandering around the kitchen trying to find some thing to make for dinner.

#19 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMoonMama View Post

I've been gathering them from all over the web.... I'm just stick of it being 5:30pm and I'm wandering around the kitchen trying to find some thing to make for dinner.

EXACTLY.  I hate it because I'm exhausted by that point in the day, I loathe the idea of work in the kitchen, and I'm hungry and grumpy.

#20 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is my go-to crockpot recipe site - http://crockpot365.blogspot.com

Catholic Mama likes this.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#21 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM

that is a great website!!! I like it too!!

#22 of 27 Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM

I agree, I am a big fan of real broth.

It's especially good during the winter cold/flu season. Boullion just will not do for your body what the real thing will do. I've not found a boullion yet that isn't full of MSG either. I was buying cans of low-sodium chicken broth to cook with but now most brands have MSG and other things I don't want my family to eat.

I wanted to add a tip on storage: If you don't have a use for the broth right away, or have a big quantity of broth, it freezes very well. I just pour mine into old cottage cheese tubs, about 2 inches deep in each tub. Put these in a level spot in your freezer until they set then you can remove them from the 'molds', and you will have a nice disc-shaped frozen brothsicle that is just the right size for cooking with, making a batch of soup or whatever. I wrap each frozen disc in a sandwich bag and then put them together in a gallon freezer ziploc. This is a compact way to store the broth and you can just take one out and thaw it when you need it. I always have broth on hand this way and it's so much tastier and healthy than anything you can buy. Very easy!

PS Just noticed that the original poster does not have good access to many meats. I think in any case where the supply is questionable I would either go with veggies (you can make a nutritious vegetable broth too - no meat required) for the slow cooker and do the meats in a pressure cooker....

witchypants likes this.
#23 of 27 Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the original poster and I don't have trouble with getting poultry, and I don't eat red meat. Must have been someone else.

#24 of 27 Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post

I agree, I am a big fan of real broth.

It's especially good during the winter cold/flu season. Boullion just will not do for your body what the real thing will do. I've not found a boullion yet that isn't full of MSG either. I was buying cans of low-sodium chicken broth to cook with but now most brands have MSG and other things I don't want my family to eat.

I wanted to add a tip on storage: If you don't have a use for the broth right away, or have a big quantity of broth, it freezes very well. I just pour mine into old cottage cheese tubs, about 2 inches deep in each tub. Put these in a level spot in your freezer until they set then you can remove them from the 'molds', and you will have a nice disc-shaped frozen brothsicle that is just the right size for cooking with, making a batch of soup or whatever. I wrap each frozen disc in a sandwich bag and then put them together in a gallon freezer ziploc. This is a compact way to store the broth and you can just take one out and thaw it when you need it. I always have broth on hand this way and it's so much tastier and healthy than anything you can buy. Very easy!

PS Just noticed that the original poster does not have good access to many meats. I think in any case where the supply is questionable I would either go with veggies (you can make a nutritious vegetable broth too - no meat required) for the slow cooker and do the meats in a pressure cooker....

What a fantastic idea! I hate making broth and then not using it! It's such a waste of delicious healthy food. I have to try this freezer method. Thanks for sharing!

I have a 11wk old bambina and just did a fantastic stew over rice the other day.

Bought chuck steak from Costco and took half, chopped it into chunks and froze before the meat went bad. Couple of weeks later I bought carrots, potatoes and onions to make a stew. Dumped the frozen meat and turned it on low for a few hours with onions. Then added carrots and potatoes a few hours later and noticed the meat tasted fantastic while the carrots and potatoes weren't overcooked. I hate that about crock stews so I separated the cooking times!

I got a Ninja Multicooker which has a stove top option for searing meats/veggies before slow cooking. It's seriously the best thing ever. Thought the searing isn't as good as a skillet it really helps. I dint think I've had a meal come out of the thing that wasn't SO SUPER delish.

Serafina-- I know you are only about 5-6wks postpartum right? I saw up thread a gorgeous lasagna your kids and hubby made, you should repeat that recipe in your crock tonight. Yum.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#25 of 27 Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, we've had that lately on a regular basis, I'd say once a week!  I fed the freezer in the third trimester with the homemade sauce, and assembling it into the slow cooker takes less than ten minutes when the sauce has been thawed the night before, and the lasagne is so yum. Just have to remember to buy ricotta, cottage, and mozzarella cheese at the store, and then chop and mix it all together in a big bowl, and then start assembling layers.  THe problem is not overcooking the lasagne pasta, and I think I've mastered the timing now, only about 2.5 hours on low and it's really ready to go, more than that and you end up with the sheets of lasagne pasta going overcooked and mushy. The other problem is that I eat too much and I'm hoping to lose the pregnancy weight!!!

#26 of 27 Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 AM

This one has been a hit multiple times in our house...

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1882

And Whole Foods has some other great ones, many of which are "throw in the pot" type of recipes (these are my favorite kind too)...

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/site_search/slow%20cooker

#27 of 27 Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We just recently got a slow cooker and have made a couple of vegetarian things that were easy and delicious!

http://www.stacymakescents.com/crock-pot-corn-chowder

http://pinchofyum.com/crockpot-sweet-potato-lentils

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Tags
Meal Planning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page