Picky Vegetarian 3.5 year old - Need suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3.5 year old son has slowly turned into a picky vegetarian.  He used to eat my organic chicken/veg soup all the time, but now won't touch it.  He loves waffles, so I try and make those with all good ingredients, but most of the time, due to our hectic schedule, we resort to frozen. 

The *only* fruit / veg he will eat is apples.  He won't drink my smoothies either...He obviously loves bread, he will actually eat the really healthy whole grain organic bread, so that makes me happy...He will only eat cheese on a pizza, and his pasta has to have just butter. 

Please, does anyone have any suggestions....he needs protien, and I have no idea how to get him to eat meat/fish/beans/cheese/yogurt etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Have you tried nuts? They're a great source of protein, provided he doesn't have allergy issues. My son loves eating whole cashews and peanut butter bread. 

Muffins are a big hit at our house too, and I make banana muffins, zucchini muffins, pumpkin muffins... anything with added fruit/veg. You could add nuts as well for a bit of a protein boost. And if you use whole grain flour and reduce the sugar it makes it even healthier. 

If he'll eat pasta with marinara sauce, load it up with extra veg. If he doesn't like "chunks" of veg, just puree it to death in the blender. 

And have you tried letting him garden or cook with you? My son is two, and pretty much the only time he'll put fresh veg into his mouth is when he picks it out of the plot in our community garden. Same thing with cooking - he's much more prone to eat something he made "all by himself". 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 3 Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Years ago, there was a book called "Confessions of a Sneaky Organic Cook" and the premise was to sneak healthy ingredients into foods that they already like. Chia seeds, ground nuts, wheat germ, whey powder are some things that come to mind that can be incorporated into yogurt, muffins, pancakes, smoothies, etc.
Don't worry about toddlers who seem to fixate on a particular food or food group. Look at their overall diet, say over a week, rather
than just one day's worth. You may find that they are eating a larger variety than you thought.

Tags
Meal Planning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page