Feed The Freezer - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is there a general 'Feed the Freezer' thread somewhere that I'm just missing? I saw a few Feed the Freezer threads that were for specific questions. But I know way back when there used to be a general one on here, but I can't seem to find it. There were tons of tips, recipes, etc. Is it out there anywhere or is it just gone? And if it's gone does anyone feel it would be valuable to start up a new one, or are the specific questions ones a better fit? Just curious - and also 'cause I personally like having one thread with SOOOO much awesome info, tips, and ideas for feedin' that freezer! :) 

#2 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I say let's have this one be the new one. :)

witchypants likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 11 Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm down with that! I'll start us off with some general questions for anyone who wants to jump in...

How are you storing your freezer stash (container wise)? And what is your favorite non-plastic container for Freezer storage? This includes storage for liquids (such as sauces or soups), whole dishes, and individual servings.

What are your top 5 favorite dishes to Feed the Freezer with due to ease? Feel free to include recipes on this one. :eat 

Best methods for defrosting?

What do you freeze raw and what do you freeze pre-cooked?

What have been your greatest Feed the Freezer successes? What have you been most proud of?

What have been your worst Feed the Freezer mistakes/diasters? Let us learn from you :thumb

And a random specific one just for fun: What's your favorite way to freeze lasagna?

#4 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM

How are you storing your freezer stash (container wise)? And what is your favorite non-plastic container for Freezer storage? This includes storage for liquids (such as sauces or soups), whole dishes, and individual servings.

I use plastic.  Even when it shatters/dents when dropped out of the freezer, it's a bit less dangerous for me/the kids (whom I have scavenging the freezer here and there for me) than glass.  I use empty sour cream/yogurt containers, I still buy those from the store, and the perpetual Ziploc baggies and Vacuum Seal bags.  I use some of those foil pans from the store or restaurant supply store, have tried out the paper Glad Bakeware dealies, those are sturdier than the foil ones in the freezer, but take up more space.

What are your top 5 favorite dishes to Feed the Freezer with due to ease?
Bourbon Molasses Chicken.
Chicken Cordon Bleu - no cream of anything soup either, it's awesome.
Some marinated pork chop thing, I can't remember where I put the recipe, I need to find it.
Chicken Louisianne sauce.
Quesadillas/breakfast pizza/homemade uncrustables/waffles/french toast sticks/muffins.

In the fridge for two days (my stuff never thaws in a day like other folks).  Or muffins on the counter overnight so the kids can start snarfing when they wake up.  Although to be fair, I'm a spaz.  So sometimes I'll pull out a casserole at lunchtime and let it thaw on the counter until dinnertime.

Most of the meat's raw.  Sometimes we cook a few chicken breasts and dice, or grill and freeze some for salads or whatever.  We tend to prefer to cook at time of ingestion.  Same with fruits/ veggies, although I did blanch corn on the cob to shove into the freezer.
I cook already made waffles/muffins/pancakes/egg toasties though... breakfast and mornings are my kryptonite, so I like just being able to haul stuff out and be ready to go.

What have been your greatest Feed the Freezer successes? What have you been most proud of?

The Chicken Louisianne.  That's one of my standards in my freezer meal basket for friends - after they have a baby or whatever.  Cookie dough balls of my grandma's secret recipe cookies are also popular.

What have been your worst Feed the Freezer mistakes/disasters?

Anything with mayo.  Just. say. no.  Cream sauces also don't like me.

And a random specific one just for fun: What's your favorite way to freeze lasagna?
I don't.  My family's not really a fan of it.  We prefer Sausage Tortellini Soup.  :D

witchypants likes this.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#5 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM

I'm in. :-)

Mostly plastic here - I like the Ziploc brand containers and bags the best. I've broken way to many glass containers for it to be practical for me, unfortunately. But I do also like the restaurant-style foil boxes with paper lids, especially when I'm gifting ready-to-eat meals. The downside is the fact that they're really single use only, whereas I can reuse the plastic containers over and over. 

What are your top 5 favorite dishes to Feed the Freezer with due to ease? Feel free to include recipes on this one. :eat 

Bolognese sauce

Bacon and whiskey chili

Precooked (from dried) beans

Lentil soup

Muffins

In the fridge for a day or two. In a pinch I will use the defrost setting on the microwave. 

Meat and veg is raw, though I do blanch some of the veg first. Baked goods get frozen fully cooked, except cookie dough. 

My chili and bolognese for sure. 

What have been your worst Feed the Freezer mistakes/diasters? Let us learn from you :thumb

Well right before we moved a few years ago, our chest freezer got accidentally unplugged and we lost a ton of food, including fruits I'd put up myself and home made duck stock (which was not cheap to make). I kind of religiously look at the little green light just to make sure it's on all the time now... 

We're not big lasagna eaters - but when we do make it we eat it all up and there's none left to freeze!

witchypants likes this.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#6 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

What are your top 5 favorite dishes to Feed the Freezer with due to ease? 

Bourbon Molasses Chicken.
Chicken Cordon Bleu - no cream of anything soup either, it's awesome.
Some marinated pork chop thing, I can't remember where I put the recipe, I need to find it.
Chicken Louisianne sauce.
Quesadillas/breakfast pizza/homemade uncrustables/waffles/french toast sticks/muffins.

The Chicken Louisianne.  That's one of my standards in my freezer meal basket for friends - after they have a baby or whatever.  Cookie dough balls of my grandma's secret recipe cookies are also popular.

I don't.  My family's not really a fan of it.  We prefer Sausage Tortellini Soup.  :D

Thanks so much! These are awesome! If you haven't and are into sharing I would SOOOO love your Bourbon Molasses Chicken, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Chicken Louisianne, and Sausage Tortellini Soup recipes :shy

#7 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM

One other notable thing I like to do with my freezer is freeze water. I save my gallon milk jugs and juice containers for this. I fill them with water, leaving a few inches of head room so the containers don't burst when the water freezes. It's great to have already potable water around in case of emergency, and having them in there helps a less-than-full freezer run more efficiently. Another benefit is that if the power goes out or the freezer stops working, the water jugs act as ice packs, which buys the food a little extra time in staying cold longer. 

witchypants likes this.

#8 of 11 Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

One other notable thing I like to do with my freezer is freeze water. I save my gallon milk jugs and juice containers for this. I fill them with water, leaving a few inches of head room so the containers don't burst when the water freezes. It's great to have already potable water around in case of emergency, and having them in there helps a less-than-full freezer run more efficiently. Another benefit is that if the power goes out or the freezer stops working, the water jugs act as ice packs, which buys the food a little extra time in staying cold longer. 

This is grand! We lose power up here often during the Winter so I might have to try that one! Plus I'm super happy someone branched out on the freezer front. We have an upright freezer (which I LOVE btw) and so far we mostly use it for storing Summer's bounty and for buying meat in bulk. I was going to ask for other ways y'all Feed your Freezer besides just ready made food so this is great. BTW @kitchensqueen I have your bacon whiskey chili and your Bolognese recipes and I can see why you consider them successes - yum! I love all your recipes in fact, the Pumpkin Ale Salisbury steak recipe has become a fast fav and family staple. Thanks friend! 

So far in the freezer we have some tomatoes, beans, and corn from the excess of this year's harvest. We have very little pantry/cabinet space and a goodly amount of freezer space so we freeze more than can the excess from our garden. We also have several jars of freezer jam, tomato pies, pear and apple pies also made when the crops were coming in. Some soup, pumpkin bread, and various meats. I have a serious goal of ordering a quarter of a cow from our local grass fed farm as soon as we can so that'll take up a goodly portion of freezer space. Also, I'm need to start thinking about holiday baking and gift giving. I usually start baking in bulk around this time of year and freeze as I go.

#9 of 11 Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchypants View Post

This is grand! We lose power up here often during the Winter so I might have to try that one! Plus I'm super happy someone branched out on the freezer front. We have an upright freezer (which I LOVE btw) and so far we mostly use it for storing Summer's bounty and for buying meat in bulk. I was going to ask for other ways y'all Feed your Freezer besides just ready made food so this is great. BTW @kitchensqueen I have your bacon whiskey chili and your Bolognese recipes and I can see why you consider them successes - yum! I love all your recipes in fact, the Pumpkin Ale Salisbury steak recipe has become a fast fav and family staple. Thanks friend! 

The day I thought to start freezing water was real epiphany for me - we're limited in pantry space too, so I literally had gallon jugs sitting on top of the fridge - impractical and unsightly. 

I'm glad you guys like those recipes so much - they are regular standbys at our house for sure. The bolognese is also really good in lasagna - I just layer it with lasagna noodles and soy mozzarella (Soya Kass melts and tastes so close to the real deal if you're a dairy-free household) and bake it for about 35-45 minutes. But like I said up thread, we don't make it very often, so I never have extra to freeze! Oh, and I also read something interesting online recently about how to layer your lasagna noodles - don't do the whole pan with the noodles facing the same way. If you alternate the the way the noodles are lying in the pan in each layer, it will hold it's shape better when cut and not slop into big pile on the plate. 

witchypants likes this.

#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

The funny thing is, the only time we even make lasagna is when we have an abundance of zuchini and/or eggplant coming in from the garden. Then I use the zucchini and eggplant like the noodles. I make a kinda one layer Mexican lasagna which we're actually going to have tonight but that's about it.

Last night we made our pumpkin bread for Thanksgiving and froze it for the big day. I made a double batch so we were also able to freeze a smaller loaf for gift giving, plus some muffins for right away eating.

Does anyone else make and freeze their holiday gift goodies in advance? I like to freeze anything I'm going to ship ahead of time because it stays fresher during travel that way.

#11 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 07:01 PM

We added two containers of leftover turkey to the freezer tonight. :-) That will be good in soup and turkey noodle casserole down the line. And we've got the turkey stock going in the crockpot, so I'll be sure to add a container or two of that in the morning. 

I'd like to pre-make some cookie doughs soon for holiday baking - anyone else planning on doing that?

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page