Planning Thanksgiving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

What are your favorite dishes to go with Thanksgiving dinner?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I usually stick with the classics - mashed potatoes, bread stuffing, turkey gravy, home made cranberry sauce, and croissants. My "green dish" changes from year to year - this year I'm doing roasted Brussels sprouts from our garden. And my husband likes candied yams, so this year I'm making a mini casserole dish of them for him. 

Desserts are usually pies - pumpkin, chocolate icebox and possibly a third - I'm thinking about doing a shoofly pie since I love those. 

For beverages, we usually serve a Beaujolais Nouveau red wine, and in years when I made my own home made schnapps, we have a toast with that, though I didn't get around to it this year.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 22 Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're pretty traditional too, and we don't have a huge crowd. Rarely more than 10.

I start baking, cooking, and prepping the day before since I only have one oven and it's on the smaller side. So dishes like sweet potato casserole are baked the day before, set out in the morning to come to room temp, then a quick warm up in the oven, and I make the stuffing the day before so it's ready to go in the bird first thing in the morning.

Turkey with cornbread stuffing (cooked in the bird)

Giblet gravy

Mashed potatoes, sometimes with roasted garlic

Sweet potato casserole (not candied yams)

Roasted brussels sprouts

Whole berry cranberry sauce

Soft rolls

Layered red jello salad

Pumpkin, pecan, and banana squash pie with real whipped cream

White and red wine (usually pinot grigio and shiraz)

We sometimes have a champagne cocktail before dinner too. If I do have a larger number of people, we have a few appetizers, but nothing too fancy.

#4 of 22 Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 PM

I'm glad you started this thread because I could use some side dish inspiration. I'm feeling pretty meh about our menu so far:

Turkey (we always get one free from DH's work so that's something to be grateful for)

Cornbread stuffing

Homemade cranberry sauce

Mashed potatoes - sometimes with garlic and/or cheese

Gravy

Green Beans with Garlic, Bacon, Sliced Almonds, and Shredded Parmesean

Squash Rolls

Pumpkin Bread

Pumpkin Pie

I need another veggie side dish or two. We usually make quinoa and roasted veggies and we might again this year but I'd love a change up! I'm also considering making pumpkin cinnamon rolls, and my parents always bring a salad bar and wine so they choose that.

#5 of 22 Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM

And how does everyone do their turkey? Classic roasted in the oven? I like to try different things with mine - one year I did a honey riesling glaze, one year we smoked it with apple wood. Year before last I brined it in spiced apple cider, and I'm thinking about doing that again this year. Keeps it extra moist in the oven and gives it a nice hint of apple flavor. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#6 of 22 Old 11-10-2013, 06:05 PM

I brine it the day before, just a basic brine (I buy an organic, free range turkey so it can use a good brining). I cook on a lower heat it in a covered roasting pan, one of those big blue speckled pans, and uncover and turn up the heat for the last hour or so. I baste about every 20-30 minutes with butter and also add champagne to the juices and use it to baste too. I love cooking poultry with champagne/sparkling wine, it adds a wonderful flavor.

#7 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM

You know, we've done the brine thing before but we really didn't see much of a difference moisture wise. Our turkeys always come out really really juicy and if anything we thought the brine made it a tad drier...shrug.gif maybe we're doin' it wrong...I do like the champagne idea - that sounds fabulous!

I seriously need some yam/sweet potato inspiration. Doesn't even have to be only sweet potato/yam thing either. I also like to do a squash dish. But no one in attendance will go down the brussel sprout road. :blush I just need some veggie side dish inspiration. We've done a sweet potato/yam/pecan casserole-pudding type thing and a sweet potato, yam, and apple casserole...I don't know I need something new, different, and exciting to inspire me. The rest of our family likes/requires a lot of the same ol' staples but most of them won't eat the veggies so that's one place I have a bit of free reign since it'll essentially only be our household eating that part. I just need something new - anyone got anything?

#8 of 22 Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchypants View Post

You know, we've done the brine thing before but we really didn't see much of a difference moisture wise. Our turkeys always come out really really juicy and if anything we thought the brine made it a tad drier...shrug.gif maybe we're doin' it wrong...I do like the champagne idea - that sounds fabulous!

But no one in attendance will go down the brussel sprout road.

Weird - maybe your salt ratio was off in the brine?

It's too bad you can't get the crowd to do Brussels sprouts - boiled or steamed they are horrid, but they are a revelation when roasted. Seriously, so good. Caramelized and nutty even. With a little mustard sauce on the side and crispy bacon lardons mixed... oh my god, so good. And they are also amazing with duck confit. 

#9 of 22 Old 11-12-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

And how does everyone do their turkey? Classic roasted in the oven? I like to try different things with mine - one year I did a honey riesling glaze, one year we smoked it with apple wood. Year before last I brined it in spiced apple cider, and I'm thinking about doing that again this year. Keeps it extra moist in the oven and gives it a nice hint of apple flavor. 

Well this year, since we will have so many people (45 pending a proper head count) we will be having two turkeys and two hams.  I only have one oven.  I will cook one of the turkeys in a roaster oven on the counter.  The second may be deep fried. . . my bil loves it deep fried and he may just get the job of coming early to do bird #2.  I normally wouldn't ask people to make the meat when I am hosting, but this is a unique situation (see my rantings on another board :-) )  The hams will hopefully fit side by side in the oven.  I got spiral sliced hams from costco (for ease) and we will put the glaze on one of them.  

So far, my sides will be:

veggie tray for before meal snacking

mashed potatoes

gravy (from the turkey drippings) although, most likely someone will bring a jar as well.  I only like homemade gravy though.

stuffing  (I hate the stuff, as do the rest of my household.  However, dh's family loves it.  A perk for me is that they actually prefer stovetop stuffing.  This is great because it isn't recommended to stuff the bird in the roaster ovens, and it clearly doesn't work with the deep frying method)

cranberry stuff (again dh's family prefers that stuff in a can -- I don't like it at all, but opening a can is simple)

"strawberry" salad --really it is a jello salad, but it has strawberries too. . .

Homemade rolls if someone else makes them.  Otherwise, it will be a brown and server variety.

Two vegetable sides--I am imagining a green bean casserole and ???.

Sweet potatoe thing or yams (my sil will bring because mil has to have "that" recipe)

Green salad.

Fruit tray or salad. 

Pies

I am hoping that family members will volunteer to bring the stuff separated by the blank line.

Amy

#10 of 22 Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Well this year, since we will have so many people (45 pending a proper head count) we will be having two turkeys and two hams.  I only have one oven.  I will cook one of the turkeys in a roaster oven on the counter.  The second may be deep fried. . . my bil loves it deep fried and he may just get the job of coming early to do bird #2.  I normally wouldn't ask people to make the meat when I am hosting, but this is a unique situation (see my rantings on another board :-) )  The hams will hopefully fit side by side in the oven.  I got spiral sliced hams from costco (for ease) and we will put the glaze on one of them.  

So far, my sides will be:

veggie tray for before meal snacking

mashed potatoes

gravy (from the turkey drippings) although, most likely someone will bring a jar as well.  I only like homemade gravy though.

stuffing  (I hate the stuff, as do the rest of my household.  However, dh's family loves it.  A perk for me is that they actually prefer stovetop stuffing.  This is great because it isn't recommended to stuff the bird in the roaster ovens, and it clearly doesn't work with the deep frying method)

cranberry stuff (again dh's family prefers that stuff in a can -- I don't like it at all, but opening a can is simple)

"strawberry" salad --really it is a jello salad, but it has strawberries too. . .

Homemade rolls if someone else makes them.  Otherwise, it will be a brown and server variety.

Two vegetable sides--I am imagining a green bean casserole and ???.

Sweet potatoe thing or yams (my sil will bring because mil has to have "that" recipe)

Green salad.

Fruit tray or salad. 

Pies

I am hoping that family members will volunteer to bring the stuff separated by the blank line.

Amy

Give out assignments. I still think it's nuts that your family expects you to do this with virtually no help!

#11 of 22 Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quote:

Give out assignments. I still think it's nuts that your family expects you to do this with virtually no help!

Thank you.  I have dh on board now and he knows it is his job to get the family to help.  Personally, I need to keep my distance for a bit in order to maintain some sanity.   :-)

#12 of 22 Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Thank you.  I have dh on board now and he knows it is his job to get the family to help.  Personally, I need to keep my distance for a bit in order to maintain some sanity.   :-)

I'm glad you're getting some support from your husband! :-) That definitely always helps. 

#13 of 22 Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

It's too bad you can't get the crowd to do Brussels sprouts - boiled or steamed they are horrid, but they are a revelation when roasted. Seriously, so good. Caramelized and nutty even. With a little mustard sauce on the side and crispy bacon lardons mixed... oh my god, so good. And they are also amazing with duck confit. 

MMmmmm!! I am going to test drive a roasted brussels thing this weekend. 

Our family does a big email with all the items on it and everyone has to volunteer something (or you get uninvited! Haha… not really. But certainly, no one woman is expected to do the whole meal.) 

I think the most important thing is to HAVE APPETIZERS!!! 

It seems crazy with so much food on the dinner table, but modest nibbles keep people happy as the cooking smells tend to waft around making everyone hungry for hours before we get to eat any of it. Also, I've noticed lots of people fast or semi-fast in the morning, and are ravenous angry beasts by 3pm. It makes the whole day nicer to toss the angry monkeys some peanuts ;). 

This year me and my husband are doing: 

Cold steamed asparagus with fresh, hot hollandaise (not seasonal, I know, but we have so many diet restrictive people attending that this was one of the few veggie dishes that would please all!) 
Shredded, roasted brussels sprouts served at room temp with some sort of nuts, olive oil, and a sprinkling of apple cider vinegar or lemon. 
Pumpkin Pie 
Curried and roasted pumpkin seeds

Other people are making all the usual stuff plus:

Latkes!
Chocolate coins
Cheesy cauliflower casserole

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#14 of 22 Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM

Another winning idea from my SIL: 

Bring take-home containers! 

After the meal is done and it's time to pack up the leftovers, everyone goes around getting their fill of turkey, sides, and desserts to take home for leftovers. 

It's so much better than taking home only your own leftovers! 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#15 of 22 Old 11-15-2013, 07:35 PM

These are our favorite side dishes:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Wild-Mushrooms-with-Chestnuts-and-Thyme-107320

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Candied-Yams-104474

We go to a friend's house and always take/make these there.  They are always popular.  The yams are actually best if they are made the day before and rewarmed.  The mushrooms are heavenly - so rich, you would only serve them on a very special occasion :)

#16 of 22 Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

MMmmmm!! I am going to test drive a roasted brussels thing this weekend. 

They are seriously amazing - I'll be surprised if you don't have Brussels sprouts converts after serving them this way. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiamoon View Post

Another winning idea from my SIL: 

Bring take-home containers! 

After the meal is done and it's time to pack up the leftovers, everyone goes around getting their fill of turkey, sides, and desserts to take home for leftovers. 

It's so much better than taking home only your own leftovers! 

I buy an extra set or two of containers and bring them out at the end of the meal so everyone can pack a to-go box for the next day. One of the best parts of Thanksgiving is your classic turkey sandwich the next day! 

#17 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM

Turkey

Homemade Stuffing

Mashed Potatoes

Turkey Gravy

Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping

Bread Rolls

Green Bean Casserole

Corn?

It's only my second year doing it all myself, usually my family gets together and I usually have taken a supporting role watching the kids. This year it'll be my family of four plus our friends which will be 10 people total. It's a little daunting but I'm kind of excited, too.

#18 of 22 Old 11-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Mmmm... Pecan topping!

#19 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 PM

We like chipotle mashed sweet potatos. 

#20 of 22 Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM

I've changed my mind on our turkey. I've decided to do our turkey three ways. Turkey is so hard to cook as a full bird since the dark and light meat are done at drastically different times. So I'm going to piece out the bird, then brine all of the pieces in the spiced apple cider brine. Then the legs will get smoked in apple wood in the stovetop smoker, I'll do the thighs with a honey/white wine glaze and the breast I will do as traditionally roasted. 

#21 of 22 Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 PM

I recommend preparing the stussang in a special way :-)
As I prepare :-)
Raisins, almonds, chocolate and rice - all together mix
And put in the chicken --- Enjoy :-)

Prepare potatoes in the oven
Whole potatoes wrapped in foil (hour - hour and a half in the oven)
When ready to open and put sour cream and shredded cheese.

Rub chicken with mustard, Zeit oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, and honey (a lot).

Mixed vegetables carrots, zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, celery frying oil Zeit
  Salt and black pepper, fry well, get a strainer and fry onion until onion separately will
Light Brown ---- mix everything together.

#22 of 22 Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM

I recommend preparing the stussang in a special way :-)
As I prepare :-)
Raisins, almonds, chocolate and rice - all together mix
And put in the chicken --- Enjoy :-)

Prepare potatoes in the oven
Whole potatoes wrapped in foil (hour - hour and a half in the oven)
When ready to open and put sour cream and shredded cheese.

Rub chicken with mustard, Zeit oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, and honey (a lot).

Mixed vegetables carrots, zucchini, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, celery frying oil Zeit
  Salt and black pepper, fry well, get a strainer and fry onion until onion separately will
Light Brown ---- mix everything together.

Tags
Meal Planning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page