What is Your best "Throw Together" meal? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I make a big chili on Sunday with roasted veggies in it, then eat it straight over rice the first night, in burritos with avocado another and then with eggs one morning.

I do salmon burgers with roasted Brussels sprouts or steamed broccoli.

I also will make my own pizza with the dough ready made from the store, and top it with veggies and fill the other side of the plate with a salad.

~Those three things get me through the week with one night of eating out.

Finally, if I have a cold or flu, I will make Kale smoothies and popcorn and in 10 minutes dinner is served :).

#32 of 53 Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianito View Post

I make a big chili on Sunday with roasted veggies in it, then eat it straight over rice the first night, in burritos with avocado another and then with eggs one morning.

I do salmon burgers with roasted Brussels sprouts or steamed broccoli.

I also will make my own pizza with the dough ready made from the store, and top it with veggies and fill the other side of the plate with a salad.

~Those three things get me through the week with one night of eating out.

Finally, if I have a cold or flu, I will make Kale smoothies and popcorn and in 10 minutes dinner is served :).

That's a great week of meals! It would really suit my family, too. <taking notes>

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#33 of 53 Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great thread! I try to always cook enough for 2 or 3 meals and freeze left-overs. I keep soups and chili, taco meat, sometimes meatballs, spaghetti sauce, etc. in the freezer. I also keep sauces and gravies. We deal with food allergies and sensitivities, so I have to make a lot from scratch.

Zucchini pizzas go over really well here. I slice the zucchini lengthwise. Then I add spaghetti sauce (from my freezer stash) and fresh mozz and bake them until the cheese is melted. I usually serve this with pasta, but not always.

Quinoa salads come together quickly, especially if you have the quinoa prepped ahead of time. Then add some sauteed veggies and some salad dressing. I like to make one with lime juice, honey and olive oil.

I also take a can of black beans and a can of corn and mix them with a yummy fresh mango pineapple salsa and serve that with tortilla chips or use in burritos.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#34 of 53 Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 AM

#35 of 53 Old 03-03-2014, 01:01 PM

^^^ that sounds really good! Is it really only 2 oz tomato paste?

we do black bean burritos. jar of salsa, can of corn, can of black beans, bell pepper if we have one. saute all together. mix with rice if you want. make up burritos with cheese, suppose you could also add sour cream or guac. usually we make a big batch & put rest in tupperware for later. nak

#36 of 53 Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

^^^ that sounds really good! Is it really only 2 oz tomato paste?

we do black bean burritos. jar of salsa, can of corn, can of black beans, bell pepper if we have one. saute all together. mix with rice if you want. make up burritos with cheese, suppose you could also add sour cream or guac. usually we make a big batch & put rest in tupperware for later. nak

Yum! I have thought of making up a bunch of burritos like this

http://foodbabe.com/2012/08/14/fast-food-the-quickest-burrito-youll-ever-make/

and freezing them, but I only have a toaster oven, no microwave, so I'll have to test it to see if I can heat them up from frozen.

#37 of 53 Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

In my experience, yes, you can heat burritos in a toaster oven.  It does take some practice to determine the right temp setting and time to get them hot all the way through without burning the corners.  It's easier if you thaw them first, than if you try to cook them from frozen.  But it's worth the effort if you like a crisp exterior--microwave makes the tortilla very soft, almost soggy.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#38 of 53 Old 03-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

In my experience, yes, you can heat burritos in a toaster oven.  It does take some practice to determine the right temp setting and time to get them hot all the way through without burning the corners.  It's easier if you thaw them first, than if you try to cook them from frozen.  But it's worth the effort if you like a crisp exterior--microwave makes the tortilla very soft, almost soggy.

Good thinking - I will definitely try making them & then thaw for a while first. Nothing is quick without a microwave, really, but I could take them out in the afternoon and then serve for dinner/take out on a weekend morning and serve for lunch, or something like that. Thanks!

#39 of 53 Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM

One of our favorites is chicken pot pie.  Take a can of crescent rolls or pie crust (refrigerated one) put in a round or 13x9 glass dish, and bake.  You will need 2 cans of mixed veggies, two cans of cream of chicken soup, and some cooked chicken cubed (as much as you like, I used 2 chicken breasts and my husband said it needed more chicken).  Drain your 2 cans of mixed veggies and combine them with the cream of chicken soup and the cut up chicken.  Stir well, pour mix into the pan you are using and take a can of crescent rolls and layer them on the top.  I heated up my filling in the microwave until it was almost warm to speed up the process....Put this in the oven according to the crescent roll directions.  Right before you take it out of the oven sprinkle some shredded cheddar (or whatever you like) when it is melted take out of the oven and let it set for about 5 min and serve...  You can use crescent rolls for the top and bottom, or the pie crust for both or mix it up.  I use the crescent rolls for both.  This is a FAST, EASY, & CHEAP dinner to make that I'm sure your family will love. My 10yo daughter and picky husband love it.

Mozado8210 likes this.

Me-30   om.gif     DsoontobeH-28 joy.gif-Together 10 years & the love of my life!!

DD#1-11  mecry.gif     DC#2-My Angel In Heaven brokenheart.gif 

#40 of 53 Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Did u precook the chicken? Or put it in there raw?

ETA- Nvrmind, I reread and saw that you said cooked cut up chicken

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#41 of 53 Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 PM

I buy lots of frozen veggies and throw them in a pan and fry them up with a meat (veggie meat for us), tofu, with whatever seasonings I fell like. Its quick, easy, and healthy! Sometimes I will also throw it on rice or rice noodles (these take minutes to be done).

#42 of 53 Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

Did u precook the chicken? Or put it in there raw?

ETA- Nvrmind, I reread and saw that you said cooked cut up chicken

If you guys like meaty food than I would suggest adding maybe 3-4 chicken breasts.  This was my husbands request.  I thought 2 pieces was enough but he likes his meat.  

Me-30   om.gif     DsoontobeH-28 joy.gif-Together 10 years & the love of my life!!

DD#1-11  mecry.gif     DC#2-My Angel In Heaven brokenheart.gif 

#43 of 53 Old 03-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Beef stroganoff: Brown 1 lb ground beef and garlic. Add 1/2 package mushrooms (optional). When mushrooms soften, add a package of egg noodles and cover with beef broth or salted water. Let simmer until egg noodles have absorbed the liquid. Take off heat and stir in sour cream to taste.

Done in 20!

Mozado8210 likes this.
#44 of 53 Old 04-12-2014, 06:26 PM

#45 of 53 Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Welsh Cawl. A hearty one pot meal to feed a dozen.

#46 of 53 Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Would you mind elaborating spiderpig? I've never heard of welsh crawl.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#47 of 53 Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Would you mind elaborating spiderpig? I've never heard of welsh crawl.

Welsh Cawl is a traditional stew containing a variety of meats and vegetables. These stews vary according to one's location in Wales. I had an online friend who lived up north on the mountains overlooking Wrexham; lamb or mutton was the staple of her cawl. She said if you lived along the coasts, then your cawl would contain seafood.

I have yet to try a seafood varient of Welsh Cawl, but can thoroughly recommend the hearty dish that is very popular in my family. This recipe has always been in my family and is reputed to be very old. You can adjust it to suit whatever meat and veg you have available. If you make it, please let me know if you enjoyed it. :)

Recipe serves 10.

1 to 2 lb (750 g to 1kg) piece smoked bacon (collar or shoulder)
1 tablespoon lard or bacon fat
2 onions, coarsely chopped
2 parsnips, coarsely chopped
4 carrots, coarsely sliced
1 swede, coarsely chopped
1 lb (500 g) beef brisket or neck of lamb (or both)
12 black peppercorns
1 clove
1 bay leaf
Sprig thyme
Lamb or chicken stock, or water
1 lb (500 g) potatoes (preferably tiny and new)
4 slender leeks, finely chopped

Soak the bacon overnight in cold water, if necessary, to remove some of the salt.

Heat the lard or bacon fat in a large soup pot (or large saucepan) and brown the onions, parsnips, carrots and swede.

Remove the vegetables and brown the beef or lamb.

Return the vegetables to the pot with the meat and add the drained bacon, spices and herbs. Cover with stock.

Bring to the boil, skim and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.

If the potatoes are not small and new, cut into pieces. Add to the pot 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time.

To serve, slice the meat and put a piece in each bowl, along with some of the broth and vegetables.

Garnish with the finely chopped leeks. Eat with a hunk of nice Cheddar cheese and some crusty bread.

#48 of 53 Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM

Mmm ok that sounds wonderful for a chilly day. I can't believe I thought I read crawl, but it was cawl lol

#49 of 53 Old 04-17-2014, 02:23 AM

'Crawl' hahahaa!

Made the day before, cawl's meat and veg flavours have time to marry, so it will not only taste fantastic, but will be memorable.

#50 of 53 Old 04-17-2014, 09:46 AM

My family favs:

Spaghetti with salad

bean burritos with some veggies

red beans and rice with some veggies

taco rice (like a taco but instead of tortillas serve over rice)

pork chops and mashed potatoes (this takes about 30 minutes, I just coat with BBQ sauce) with steamed veggies

BBQ beef cups (brown ground beef, add in BBQ sauce, line muffin tins with biscuit dough, add the meat mix and cook for around 20 minutes, top with cheese and melt) with salad

corndog muffins (I make it with sausages or kielbasa) served with steamed veggies

breakfast for dinner (pancakes, sausage, fruit salad)

chicken tetrazini (cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, soup can of milk, pour and mix into spaghetti noodles then cook for around 20 minutes) served with steamed veggies

grilled cheese and cut up veggies

tacos

bbq chicken sandwiches with salads

To make meals quicker I try to do a bunch of cooking one day a week. Prep all the meat, chop up the veggies, make any bread/similar items (tortillas, crackers etc), grate cheese if needed, etc That way when Im running behind I have a whole lot less to do. I do all of it intermixed with my kiddos school time and they all help with the prep work so it doesn't seem so bad. It makes the nights a whole lot smoother since by the time its dinner time Im usually exhausted and the last thing I WANT to do is cook.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#51 of 53 Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM

My sister came over and cooked dinner on Tues night. It was simple and tasty. Thai style chicken. She cooked strips of chicken then added an assortment of veggies into the same pan with the chicken and sauteed them, meanwhile boiled white rice. And made the sauce in the microwave, creamy peanut butter, soy sauce, water, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Then she added the sauce to the chicken and veggies and served it over the rice!
Spiderpig likes this.

#52 of 53 Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:

My sister came over and cooked dinner on Tues night. It was simple and tasty. Thai style chicken. She cooked strips of chicken then added an assortment of veggies into the same pan with the chicken and sauteed them, meanwhile boiled white rice. And made the sauce in the microwave, creamy peanut butter, soy sauce, water, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Then she added the sauce to the chicken and veggies and served it over the rice!

That sounds delicious!

#53 of 53 Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Frittata

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page