Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

#31 of 45 Old 09-01-2014, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post
They make cleanup somewhat easier, but sometimes they still leak. And they are SO.FREAKING.EXPENSIVE. Especially if you use your CrockPot multiple times a week, as we often do. And I share the concerns of others about cooking in plastic. But even if I didn't, they are just not affordable.

I've loved most of the recipes I've made from this website: www.crockpot365.blogspot.com. Many are or can be fairly inexpensive. All are or can be gluten-free, too, if that's a concern for some people, though the gluten-free versions will often be more expensive, if they use gluten-free replacements as opposed to just being naturally gluten-free. We've had to scale back our use of her recipes, though, as quite a few of them rely on soy sauce, and my stomach just can't tolerate soy this pregnancy, for some reason.
You can sub Bragg's Liquid Aminos for the soy sauce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Bragg's is also made from soybeans, so I don't think that will help.
#33 of 45 Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Worcestershire sauce has a similar flavor profile to soy sauce, and I don't think it has soybeans in it. Not sure though.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#34 of 45 Old 09-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Bragg's is also made from soybeans, so I don't think that will help.
What about coconut liquid aminos? I haven't tried them yet.
#35 of 45 Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Curious View Post
What about coconut liquid aminos? I haven't tried them yet.
Have never heard of those before. I'll have to look into that.
#36 of 45 Old 09-21-2014, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
They make cleanup somewhat easier, but sometimes they still leak. And they are SO.FREAKING.EXPENSIVE. Especially if you use your CrockPot multiple times a week, as we often do. And I share the concerns of others about cooking in plastic. But even if I didn't, they are just not affordable.

I've loved most of the recipes I've made from this website: www.crockpot365.blogspot.com. Many are or can be fairly inexpensive. All are or can be gluten-free, too, if that's a concern for some people, though the gluten-free versions will often be more expensive, if they use gluten-free replacements as opposed to just being naturally gluten-free. We've had to scale back our use of her recipes, though, as quite a few of them rely on soy sauce, and my stomach just can't tolerate soy this pregnancy, for some reason.
From much reading and researching about soy it's my understanding that soy sauce does not have the same effect bc it's fermented. I don't know if you've tried it and it didn't agree with you, or you just cut it out bc problems with other soy products, but just thought I lend my two sense for what it's worth just in case you wanted to give it a try.
#37 of 45 Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 AM

Actually, I first figured out soy was the issue because of soy sauce. It was only a few months later I figured out soy bean oil was also an issue. (I can tolerate lecithin, but possibly only because there's not usually a lot of it in food.) Still really hoping this is over after baby comes!
#38 of 45 Old 09-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Yes food intolerances stink.
#39 of 45 Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
These are too spicy for my family. I thought someone here could use them:
15 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes - Under 375 Calories

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#40 of 45 Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
3 chicken breast into the crockpot with 2 aseptic Cartons chicken broth...let cook on low 6-8 hours till chicken shredds easily...shredd the chicken, add a can of diced carrots(drained). Turn crock up to high and add one(just one) of the following....

Egg noodles
Orzo
2 cups rice

Cover and let cook till pasta is tender and it thickens...

Add seasalt to taste...

Depending on what you use is what you make....I use gluten Free noodles and Orzo...
#41 of 45 Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Reviving, hoping to keep the thread alive and get more recipe ideas/
#42 of 45 Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 PM

Chicken breast and salsa. The chicken shreds up and you have chicken tacos.
#43 of 45 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
We haven't been eating much meat, so I've been on the lookout for vegetarian slow cooker recipes. Here is what I have made lately - pretty much I wing it:

* Beans - Usually I use dried black beans. Soak them a bit, then drain, put in pot with fresh water and some salt (salt is OK, no acid, though) and cook until done. It usually takes about 2-3 hrs. on high, and when they're done, you can use them in various recipes just like canned beans.

* Chili - Onion, garlic, lg. can of tomatoes, 2 cans kidney beans, 1 box broth (4 cups homemade? - this made it a little soupy; I would use less next time), mixed vegetables (either a bag of frozen, or chop one zucchini, one red pepper, one green pepper and toss in some frozen corn) plus chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, S&P. Toss in leftover salsa. Canned chipotle chili is good, too - when I use that, I skip the rest of the spices. This took about 8 hrs. on low.

* Mexican casserole - Clean out the fridge of anything taco-like and layer it in the crock. I use corn tortillas layered with leftover vegetables, beans, salsa (swish some water in the bottom of the jar), sour cream/cheese, green onions, cilantro, etc. Cooking it like a casserole breaks down the corn tortillas, which thickens the whole mix. Very tasty.

* Thai curry soup - Broth or water, cubed tofu, green or red chili paste, can of coconut milk, dash of fish sauce, squeeze of lime, a little sugar if the lime is too sour, various veggies - sliced onion, can of baby corn, frozen edamame, frozen mixed veg, etc. This takes the usual few hours on high or 6-8 on low.

* Baked potatoes - Foil wrapped, dry potatoes. No water. 3-4 hours on high.

* Chickpea curry - 2 cans chickpeas (or 1 lg.), 1 lg. can tomatoes, a little coconut milk to take the edge off the tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder/mix of choice, plus vegetables (potatoes and cauliflower work best, also frozen mixed vegetables)

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#44 of 45 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thank you, Ragana, for reminding me that I typed up vegetarian recipes from a vegetarian slow cooker cookbook (Crock Pot brand) I had. Here are a few:

Ratatouille
1 tbsp olive oil
1 baby eggplant, diced or 1 cup diced regular eggplant
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 large shallot or 1/2 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp shredded fresh basil
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to crock pot.
2. Add tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, tomato puree, shallot, garlic, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Cover; cook on Low 6 hours.
3. Stir in basil, lemon juice and salt. Turn off heat; let stand 5 minutes. Serve with cheese.
Makes 4 servings

Jamaican Quinoa and Sweet Potato Stew
3 cups vegetable broth
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes (12 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 tbsp jerk seasoning
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (To toast almonds, spread in single layer in heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned, stirring frequently.
Hot pepper sauce (optional)
1. Coat inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine broth, sweet potato, quinoa, bell pepper and jerk seasoning in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 5 to 6 hours or on High 2 to 21/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
2. Ladle into bowls; top with cilantro and almonds. Serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Makes 4 servings

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
4 green bell peppers
1 can (about 15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup (4 oz) shredded pepper jack cheese
3/4 cup medium salsa
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Sour cream (optional)
1. Cut thin slice off top of each bell pepper. Carefully remove seeds and membrane, leaving pepper whole.
2. Combine beans, cheese, salsa, corn, green onions, rice, chili powder and cumin in medium bowl. Spoon filling evenly into peppers. Place peppers in slow cooker.
3. Cover; cook on Low 4 to 6 hours. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
(For firmer rice in the finished dish, substitute converted rice for regular long grain white rice.)

Eggplant Parmesan
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg
2 tsp cold water
1 large eggplant (about 1 pound), ends trimmed, peeled and cut crosswise into 8 slices
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 1/4 cups spicy marinara sauce
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 (6 oz) shredded Italian cheese blend or mozzarella cheese, divided
Chopped fresh basil (optional)
1. Combine flour, oregano, dried basil and salt in shallow dish or pie plate. Beat egg and water in another shallow dish or pie plate
2. Dip each slice of eggplant in egg mixture, letting excess drip back into dish. Dredge in flour mixture, coating both sides lightly. Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 eggplant slices to skillet; cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining oil and 4 eggplant slices.
3. Coat inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 3/4 cup marinara sauce in bottom of slow cooker. Arrange 4 eggplant slices over sauce, overlapping if necessary. Top with 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 cup cheese. Layer with 3/4 cup marinara sauce, 4 eggplant slices, 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon remaining marinara sauce over cheese. Cover; cook on Low 4 to 5 hours or on High 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
4. Turn off heat. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with fresh basil.
Makes 4 servings

Mexican Rice, Bean and Cheese Burritos
1 cup uncooked converted rice
1 can (about 14 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chili powder
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup water
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
5 flour tortillas (10 inches)
3/4 cup prepared black bean and corn salsa
1. Coat inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add rice, beans, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chili powder, ricotta cheese and water to slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 4 hours or until rice is tender.
2. Stir in Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Place 1 cup filling on each tortilla and roll up. Serve with salsa.
Makes 6 servings

Curried Lentils with Fruit
5 cups water
1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp curry powder
1. Combine water, lentils, apple and raisins in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 9 hours or until lentils are tender. (Lentils should absorb most or all of the water. Slightly tilt slow cooker to check.)
2. Transfer lentil mixture to large bowl; stir in yogurt, salt and curry powder until blended.
Makes 6 servings

Vegetarian Chili
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (about 15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup corn
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
Sour cream and shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to slow cooker.
2. Add tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, corn, tomato paste, sugar, cumin, basil, chili powder and black pepper to slow cooker; mix well. Cover; cook on Low 4 to 5 hours. Serve with sour cream and cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.

Slow Cooker Veggie Stew
1 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup carrot slices
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans (about 14 oz each) vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup cut green beans
1/2 cup diced zucchini
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to slow cooker.
2. Add broth, cabbage, green beans, zucchini, tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt to slow cooker; mix well. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours or on High 4 to 5 hours.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Tortilla Soup
2 cans (about 14 oz each) vegetable broth
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Crushed tortilla chips
1. Combine broth, carrots, corn, onions, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
2. Ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese and tortilla chips.
Makes 6 servings

Butternut Squash, Chickpea and Lentil Stew
2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash (1/2-inch pieces)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can (about 15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped sweet onion
3/4 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
2 tsp ground cumin or coriander (or 1 tsp each)
3/4 tsp sea salt
Olive oil (optional)
Fresh thyme (optional)
Coat inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine squash, broth, chickpeas, onion, lentils, cumin and salt in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 8 to 9 hours or on High 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until squash and lentils are tender. Ladle into shallow bowls. Drizzle with oil, if desired; garnish with thyme.
Makes 6 servings

Curried Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
2 cups baby carrots or chopped whole organic carrots
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 tbsp maple syrup
Candied ginger (optional)
1. Combine sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, curry powder, sea salt, pepper, cinnamon and ground ginger in slow cooker. Add broth; mix well. Cover; cook on Low 7 to 8 hours.
2. Working in batches, transfer soup to blender; blend until smooth. Return blended soup to slow cooker. (Or use immersion blender.) Stir in half-and-half and maple syrup. Turn slow cooker to High. Cover; cook on High 15 minutes to reheat. Garnish with candied ginger.
Makes 8 servings

Potato Cheddar Soup
2 pounds unpeeled new red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup coarsely chopped carrots
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Place potatoes, carrots, onion and salt in slow cooker. Pour in broth. Cover; cook on Low 6 to 7 hours or on High 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in half-and-half and pepper. Cover; cook on High 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
Makes 6 servings
Serving suggestion: Try this soup topped with whole wheat croutons.

Hearty White Bean Minestrone
5 cups vegetable broth
2 cups (about 15 oz each) cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (about 14 oz) diced tomatoes
2 russed potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chopped fresh kale
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Combine broth, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in slow cooker; mix well. Cover; cook on Low 7 hours.
2. Turn slow cooker to High. Stir in kale. Cover; cook on High 1 to 2 hours or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with cheese.
Makes 6 servings

Vegetable and Red Lentil Soup
1 can (about 14 oz) vegetable broth
1 can (about 14 oz) diced tomatoes
2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, chopped
1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and sorted
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or thyme
1/2 cup croutons or shredded cheese
1. Combine broth, tomatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, lentils, salt, sugar, and black pepper in slow cooker; mix well. Cover; cook on Low 8 hours or on High 4 hours or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
2. Serve with basil and croutons.
Makes 6 servings
Tip: When adapting your favorite recipe for a slow cooker, reduce the liquid by as much as half, because foods don't lose as much moisture during slow cooking as during conventional cooking.

Cheesy Cauliflower
3 pounds cauliflower florets
1/4 cup water
5 tbsp butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp dry mustard
2 cups milk
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Coat inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add cauliflower and water.
2. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Stir in flour and mustard until well blended. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted.
3. Pour cheese mixture over cauliflower in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 4 to 4 1/2 hours or until cauliflower is tender.
Makes 8 to 10 servings

Apple and Carrot Casserole
6 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
4 apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 plus 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp butter, cubed
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
Layer carrots and apples in slow cooker. Combine flour, brown sugar and nutmeg in small bowl; sprinkle over carrots and apples. Dot with butter; pour in juice. Sprinkle with salt. Cover; cook on Low 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until carrots are crisp-tender.
Makes 6 servings

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#45 of 45 Old Today, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Thanks!!

If anyone is interested in more details about my "recipes", just ask. I usually wing it with what I have. Once you get the hang of it, though, crockpots are very forgiving.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Tags
Meal Planning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page