Crockpot meals on the cheap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

#1 of 38 Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would love some spring and summer crock pot meals on the cheap. Eventually winter will end here, right? I am doing the farmers market all season and would love to come home to a meal already done. Ideas?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 38 Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Already on to spring huh?
Humm,chicken and dumplings!
Trully_Jully likes this.
#3 of 38 Old 03-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I tried this corn chowder with bell pepper, and it was really good:

http://www.stacymakescents.com/crock-pot-corn-chowder

Her site has a lot of crockpot recipes and is focused on saving money, so you're bound to find something useful there.

Split pea soup is cheap.  I just made it in the crockpot on Saturday, but I forgot to write down the link to the recipe (I always copy recipes by hand off the screen, and normally write the URL at the bottom of the page), but it was pretty generic and I plan to make it more interesting next time, now that I know the appropriate ratios of split peas to liquid to vegetables.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#4 of 38 Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I bought 3 nice chicken breast for $3.50, had some pineapple that I put in the blender (a can of pineapple juice would do too!), 1/3 cup of tamari and 1/2 cup of brown sugar (I'm sure you can go down on that), all in the crockpot on high for 3 hours.... IT WAS DELICIOUS! Served over brown rice with some steamed spinach or sauteed kale :)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#5 of 38 Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My two favorites so far are

1) my great-aunt's Easy Busy Day Supper:

layer 3 to 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 onion, peeled and quartered

1 Kielbasa ring sausage (more for more than 3 people) or something similar, cut into 6 pieces

2 cans of green beans with juice

Season as desired with salt, pepper, and seasoned salt. Turn crock pot to low and let cook all day. Supper will be ready when everyone hits the door.

and homemade chicken soup with as many vegetables as I have that would go with it.

We bake and eat a whole chicken on a previous night. I boil the bones with at least half a pot of filtered water and when they're cooled, I pick off the chicken, put it straight into a sprayed crock pot, throw away the bones outside, and pour the broth in (cooled off so it doesn't crack the crock pot). That goes in the fridge overnight. On the morning of the day we're going to eat the chicken soup I take it out of the fridge, dry off the outside, and add chopped organic carrot, onion, sweet potato, potato, green beans, corn, frozen peas, and garlic. My children don't always like it but it is packed with vegetables and I love it!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#6 of 38 Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Classic roasted chicken with fresh herbs and lemon slices. Take a whole bird, elevate it on a ring of foil in the crockpot. Stuff some lemons and rosemary inside and lay some slices and springs on the top. Cook on low all day. Don't add any liquid! It will turn out just like rotisserie chicken, only better. A nice mixed green salad with a vinaigrette on the side is perfect. Typing it out kind of makes me want to make it now... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#7 of 38 Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 PM

This one was a big hit tonight.

Best-Ever Slow Cooker Barbecued Ribs

1 tsp each paprika, sea salt and dried thyme

3 to 31/2 pounds well trimmed pork baby back ribs, cut into 4-rib pieces (this was just barely enough for 1 adult, 1 teenager, and 4 younger children so if you have more than that buy more pork)

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp each Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce

Coat slow cooker with olive oil cooking spray. Combine paprika, salt, thyme and peppers; rub on meaty sides of ribs. Place in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 7 to 8 hours. Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Remove ribs from slow cooker; discard liquid. Coat ribs with sauce mixture; return to slow cooker and cook on High 30 minutes or Low longer.

Makes 6 servings

#8 of 38 Old 03-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Classic roasted chicken with fresh herbs and lemon slices. Take a whole bird, elevate it on a ring of foil in the crockpot. Stuff some lemons and rosemary inside and lay some slices and springs on the top. Cook on low all day. Don't add any liquid! It will turn out just like rotisserie chicken, only better. A nice mixed green salad with a vinaigrette on the side is perfect. Typing it out kind of makes me want to make it now... 

Learning how to roast a chicken in the crockpot changed my life!  haha  Except, I avoid the risks of aluminum foil by using an onion cut into very thick slices.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 38 Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM

Catholic Mama today I made your Easy Busy Day Supper and it was a hit with the boys! Haven't tasted yet, I was at work. I don't know if my slow cooker is just really fast but after 3h on low, it was ready...

Next : The rotisserie chicken! Is the aluminum foil risky? I like the idea of the thick slices of onions though :)

French Canadian living in the Big Easy. Happy mama to Jaxson Lee born on 9/16/12 and loving wife to Denis Lee since 11/03/11

Lovesbikenew.giftreehugger.gifwhistling.gifnamaste.gifteapot2.GIFread.gifdishes.gifchampagne.gifeat.gifcoolshine.gifROTFLMAO.gifnotes.gifjog.gifbroc1.gifstillheart.gifbiggrinbounce.gifRainbow.gifcaffix.gifand all that good stuff

#10 of 38 Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 PM

I made this today..... SWEET GARLIC CHICKEN

1 1/2 - 2 lbs of chicken thighs. I seem to find these on sale often so my freezer is stocked with thighs. I also find that thighs stay tender in the crockpot better than chicken breasts and don't dry out. 

in a small bowl combine : 

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup Ketchup

1/3 cup honey

3-4 cloves of garlic minced

1 tsp dried basil

Place chicken in crockpot, pour contents of small bowl over the chicken. cook on high for 3 hours, low for 6. I turn it over when I can, but if you are gone, and can't. It's still delicious. We had it with jasmine rice, and roasted broccoli. 

Thighs on sale- $6 ( and it was really 3 lbs, so leftovers tomorrow night!) 

Everything for the sauce  was in my pantry/fridge and part of my staples. 

Roasted broccoli- broccoli- 3 heads- 90 cents- EVOO- pantry, Kosher salt- pantry, shallot- .20, 2 cloves of garlic- pantry

rice- in pantry

Even if you didn't have the pantry items, it is still a cheaper meal. We fed the 5 of us on this, and we have leftovers for tomorrow. I will change out the vegetable with whatever I have on hand, and probably cook brown rice, since I have it on hand too. So, super cheap meal for 2 days!!!

Super easy too. 

Catholic Mama likes this.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#11 of 38 Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 AM

Catholic Mama would you recommend that I freeze some of that (the easy busy day recipe)? There seems to be so much of it!

#12 of 38 Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post

Catholic Mama would you recommend that I freeze some of that (the easy busy day recipe)? There seems to be so much of it!

Jaxy, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. Yes, you could freeze it and when you're ready to eat it again, thaw it and warm it up in a pot as soup. If there are less than 6 of you, next time maybe just use one package of meat and possibly one can of green beans instead of two, and as many potatoes as your family wants (at least one per person, more or less) and still one onion.

#13 of 38 Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM

No problem thank you for the quick reply!

Yeah we're 2 adults and a baby who doesnt eat much these days (but loved this all mashed up together!!) so I guess I'll freeze some of it so it won't go to waste lol!

#14 of 38 Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

This one was a big hit tonight.

Best-Ever Slow Cooker Barbecued Ribs

1 tsp each paprika, sea salt and dried thyme

3 to 31/2 pounds well trimmed pork baby back ribs, cut into 4-rib pieces (this was just barely enough for 1 adult, 1 teenager, and 4 younger children so if you have more than that buy more pork)

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tbsp brown sugar

1 tbsp each Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce

Coat slow cooker with olive oil cooking spray. Combine paprika, salt, thyme and peppers; rub on meaty sides of ribs. Place in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 7 to 8 hours. Combine remaining ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Remove ribs from slow cooker; discard liquid. Coat ribs with sauce mixture; return to slow cooker and cook on High 30 minutes or Low longer.

Makes 6 servings

This sounds so good! The next time I find a deal on pork ribs, I'm doing this! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Learning how to roast a chicken in the crockpot changed my life!  haha  Except, I avoid the risks of aluminum foil by using an onion cut into very thick slices.

Seriously - same here! And that's a good idea about the sliced onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxy View Post

Next : The rotisserie chicken! Is the aluminum foil risky? I like the idea of the thick slices of onions though :)

I use aluminum foil so infrequently that I'm not personally concerned about any health risks, but the onion slices is a great idea if you're worried about it. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#15 of 38 Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

My two favorites so far are

1) my great-aunt's Easy Busy Day Supper:

layer 3 to 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 onion, peeled and quartered

1 Kielbasa ring sausage (more for more than 3 people) or something similar, cut into 6 pieces

2 cans of green beans with juice

Season as desired with salt, pepper, and seasoned salt. Turn crock pot to low and let cook all day. Supper will be ready when everyone hits the door.

I used to make this, but with potatoes, kielbasa or pork country (boneless) ribs, and sauerkraut (mixed with some brown sugar to cut the sourness). Yum!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#16 of 38 Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Thx EnviroBecca for the link! I'm making beef fajitas tomorrow, it's already in the crock pot!

http://www.stacymakescents.com/crock-pot-beef-fajitas

#17 of 38 Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 AM

Does anyone recommend those crockpot liners? Do they really make cleanup easier?

#18 of 38 Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Loving all these recipes smile.gif
#19 of 38 Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I won't even try the crockpot liners because I can't stand the idea of cooking my wholesome food for hours in PLASTIC.  Last I heard, that specific plastic hadn't been adequately safety-tested, and plastics in general tend to release carcinogens and endocrine disruptors into hot and/or greasy foods.

We usually have to fill the crock with soapy water and soak a few hours, then scrub a medium amount.  The corn chowder stuck harder, but we got it off with coffee grounds; they're great for scrubbing!

swede and madiemic like this.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#20 of 38 Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
For the summer we love pulled pork in the
Crockpot - so yummy and it's great with some fresh grilled corn and a salad smile.gif
#21 of 38 Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Uh I don't know if it's me but I never thought washing the crock pot was that hard... But of course I never had a dishwasher in my whole life lol. Soaking will make things easy for sure!

Catholic Mama and swede like this.

#22 of 38 Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

This may well change my life too!  I like a slow-roasted chicken but we're rarely home long enough to make one. I've often wondered if I could just stick a whole chicken in the crock pot. Why the foil/onions? Would the chicken burn on the bottom?  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#23 of 38 Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

I won't even try the crockpot liners because I can't stand the idea of cooking my wholesome food for hours in PLASTIC.  Last I heard, that specific plastic hadn't been adequately safety-tested, and plastics in general tend to release carcinogens and endocrine disruptors into hot and/or greasy foods.

We usually have to fill the crock with soapy water and soak a few hours, then scrub a medium amount.  The corn chowder stuck harder, but we got it off with coffee grounds; they're great for scrubbing!

Same here - I cringe at cooking in plastics. I'm okay with using them for cold storage, but heating up plastic releases all sorts of compounds I'd rather not be exposed to. It's a regular habit for us to fill the crockpot with hot soapy water, place the lid on it, and leave it in the sink to soak overnight. Wipes clean easily in the morning! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

For the summer we love pulled pork in the Crockpot - so yummy and it's great with some fresh grilled corn and a salad smile.gif

How could I forget pulled pork!? One of my favorite things ever. We do ours usually with a pork shoulder, and put it in the crockpot on a bed of onions. Season with a dry rub, pour in a bottle of beer and cook it all day until it's fall apart tender. When it's done, shred it and toss with home made barbecue sauce. 

I like to make a "Ned Beatty" - a home made version of a classic hangover meal at our favorite brunch spot in the city (pre-kid days, naturally...) - a big slice of jalapeno cornbread topped with pulled pork, a poached egg and a dab of hollandaise. A big side of roasted breakfast potatoes and a Bloody Mary complete it. So good!!! 

KatelynRose likes this.

#24 of 38 Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

This may well change my life too!  I like a slow-roasted chicken but we're rarely home long enough to make one. I've often wondered if I could just stick a whole chicken in the crock pot. Why the foil/onions? Would the chicken burn on the bottom?  

I often skip that step, but it's more like stewed chicken then - the chicken cooks in the released fat and juices. I haven't had it burn.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#25 of 38 Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

I often skip that step, but it's more like stewed chicken then - the chicken cooks in the released fat and juices. I haven't had it burn.

Just this - elevating helps it not stew and makes it more like rotisserie chicken, with a nice skin. Both ways are good though. 

#26 of 38 Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you put the chicken on top of the onions and then defat the liquid, you can use a stick blender to blitz the simmered onions and broth together to make an awesome grain-free gravy!
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#27 of 38 Old 08-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Lentil soup is a great cheap crockpot meal; one of my favorites. If you have some ham to add in it's extra nice.

#28 of 38 Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 AM

Just saw this - Budget Bytes slow cooker black bean soup: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/07/s...ack-bean-soup/

#29 of 38 Old 08-07-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrancisco99 View Post
Does anyone recommend those crockpot liners? Do they really make cleanup easier?
They make cleanup somewhat easier, but sometimes they still leak. And they are SO.FREAKING.EXPENSIVE. Especially if you use your CrockPot multiple times a week, as we often do. And I share the concerns of others about cooking in plastic. But even if I didn't, they are just not affordable.

I've loved most of the recipes I've made from this website: www.crockpot365.blogspot.com. Many are or can be fairly inexpensive. All are or can be gluten-free, too, if that's a concern for some people, though the gluten-free versions will often be more expensive, if they use gluten-free replacements as opposed to just being naturally gluten-free. We've had to scale back our use of her recipes, though, as quite a few of them rely on soy sauce, and my stomach just can't tolerate soy this pregnancy, for some reason.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#30 of 38 Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, it can be some seasonal veggies mixed with slices of chicken breasts or dory fish. I'm making it in my Redmond multi-cooker. Usually I choose steam mode, but frying is a bit more delicious. My device has more than 20 modes, so I usually combine few of them to make the best food. Try it.

Tags
Meal Planning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page