kids do the meal planning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
kids do the meal planning

Has anyone found any tools/methods whatever for having kids do meal planning? I'm thinking for lunch/breakfast... stuff that I'm hoping the kids can start making themselves soon.

They can pick out what they want to eat for the week, then I'll make sure we have the right stuff on hand to make it happen...

I would love something pictoral, but the 2 I want most to use it can read, so... anything would work... (up til now, its all been family meals...but we'll be doing school lunches for at least 1 soon)...

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I just ask my kid for ideas, and he tells me! I tell him what we have that needs to be used up, or what ingredients are on sale this week, and he tells me what he wants us to make with it so that I know what other ingredients to get. Sometimes he looks through our recipe binder for ideas. But that's him planning the menu with me, for dinners that his dad or I will cook and he might help. Breakfasts in our home, and most lunches, are just spontaneous using what's on hand that you feel like eating. The only time he has done meal planning and cooking completely on his own was the first weekend we had the new baby and no grandma visiting: He decided what to make for each lunch and dinner, using stuff we had on hand, and made it. We keep a lot of basic foods in the house and had bought more convenience foods (mac&cheese, frozen veggie burgers, canned baked beans, frozen ravioli) than usual, so it was pretty easy to do.

My mom got very serious about my brother and me taking responsibility for lunches the summer we were 6 1/2 and 9 respectively. She sat down with us to brainstorm a list of what kinds of things we liked to have for lunch; this list stayed on the refrigerator for years, and we added to it. Then it was our job to work out who would cook each day and to each write down our menus for the upcoming week by Sunday night, and she would make sure we had the ingredients, at least approximately. (For instance, one thing we liked to make was custom salads for each person. Instead of our making a list of ingredients for the salads, we would write "salads" and she'd buy whatever veggies were on sale if we didn't have enough from the garden to have an array of raw veggies available, and make sure we had some kind of protein that would be good on salad.) It worked really well...but we were kids who focused easily and liked to have responsibilities. Your mileage may vary.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List