Help with weekend lunch ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Help with weekend lunch ideas

I should totally be able to figure this out, but I'm totally tapped out of meal planning ideas when it comes to weekend lunches. My meal plan for the week is pretty solid, with breakfast and lunch for my DD and I planned out by the day, then various guidelines for planning each night's dinner (i.e. one night we have fish, one night we have a big meat meal, another night we use the extra meat in a soup/pasta, etc.). That all gets planned out in advance. Here are the requirements for weekend lunches:

* DBF is home, so it has to be substantial, like a supper
* it should be quicker than a regular dinner
* it should be an opportunity to use up scraps of stuff before shopping day
* I'd like at least one of the days to be wheat free, since we have wheaty breakfasts both days and pizza or burgers many Sat nights

I had planned on a quick soup one day and a quesadilla the other, and those work great sometimes, but I need a few more open-ended ideas on that same vein. This week, for example, we've had for supper 3 days already and my DD will revolt if I try to serve her another soup tomorrow
#2 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Pasta salad has infinite variations, as do wraps. Tacos are also good.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Cous cous is good for using up leftover. Roast or grilled veggies, leafy greens, some toasted nuts if you want too, shredded/small chunks of meat. Then dress with an olive oil/vinegar/maple syrup dressing. Or leftover gravy if you have it.

Fried rice is another good one for using bits of things.
#4 of 6 Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks for the extra ideas! Fried rice would be a good one on a week that I already have rice on the menu. I can cook up a little extra so that it's available for Saturday. And pasta salad is something I just never think to make, but a great idea because I could make it ahead. We often end up on a tight schedule over the weekend, and an overly ambitious lunch plan turns into fast food. I'm trying to avoid that...
#5 of 6 Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
What about just toasted sandwiches? Or untoasted sandwiches? Get some nice bread or rolls, cheese, tomato, leafy greens, leftover roast meat of any sort if you have it. If not, ham, salami, tinned tuna/salmon (or no meat at all), mayo/chutney/Dijon mustard. Yum!
#6 of 6 Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Beans? Once they're cooked--or if you're willing to use canned beans, just rinse them--they are quick to make into all kinds of things, like these Bean Wraps or these cheeseburger-flavored beans. (Serve with leftover potatoes or rice if you don't want to eat wheat buns.) Masoor Dal is pretty quick even from dried lentils.

This meal uses canned salmon (or you could make it with tuna or any leftover cooked fish or poultry), any kind of raw or cooked greens, and a carb that could be leftover pre-cooked: Lemon Creamy Salmon with Tangy Greens.

Hummus, raw veggies, and pita bread. If that's not enough of a meal for you, while you're getting it ready you can cook Loubie from either fresh or canned green beans and tomatoes.

Fantastic Foods makes a delicious falafel mix with no scary ingredients that we can buy in bulk at the food co-op; a lot of other stores have it in small boxes. You just mix a bowlful with water, let stand a little while, then shape into blobs and either fry them or (this is much easier and less messy) bake them in a well-greased mini muffin pan or on a cookie sheet.

Big salad using up odds and ends of raw vegetables, with tofu or leftover meat in a tasty sauce either on top of the salad or on the side.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page