Need school inch ideas for picky 4 and a 1/2 year old - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 11-11-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Need school inch ideas for picky 4 and a 1/2 year old

I am having a hard time with packing school lunches, and with feeding in general, of my picky eating 4 and a 1.2 year old ds.

I do feel that I have not been good in the food department with feeding my child as healthy as I had wanted to. I let him eat too much sweets and I have inconsistent meal times, and I let him not eat as well as I want him to and let him be picky!
He is my first child and before being a mom I was a grazer- I did not have regular mealtimes or ever plan a meal. It has been hard for me in the transition to wife and mom to be the person feeding me my husband and ds every day, and I have gotten lazy about it.

So currently I don't even have some basic good meals that ds eats consistently.
And I am struggling with his school lunches. I feel even embarrassed in front of the preschool teacher about my child's eating habits and my too sweet not healthy enough school lunches.

Also my kid just needs to eat better. So two fold- I need good school lunch ideas to pack in a lunch box, and I need to figure out how to not let my kid eat so many popsicles and sweet things, and to eat more healthy food.
I don't even know what to make him that is healthy that he will eat. When I make most things he just won't eat it and I don't know how to enforce it so I give in.

Also his school is nut free so I can't make him almond butter and jelly, which he does sometimes eat. He won't eat soup or chilli or beans He will sometimes eat rice, chicken, and sometimes- less often- broccoli.
He likes sweet things ( my fault), eats lot of fruit. He will eat chips and crakcers but isn't even keen on bread. He eats bread some but won't eat a bagel with creamcheese, for example, or toast.
He eats a lot of yogurt- but with too much dairy he gets these bags under hi eyes. He likes rice but not all the time.
He only occasionally likes noodles but usually only in a soup broth.
I used to be a good cook until I had a child. Now my time is more limited and it is more of an ever day chore to get done and then I make things and my child doesn't eat it, and I get overwhelmed.

When we visit his grandparents they make a really good homemade chicken soup with noodles that he loves and eats, and they gave me the recipe but I haven't been able to make it. cooking for my family is really hard for me and I want to improve on it.

Can you guys please give me good lunch ideas based on this, and ideas on how to get my child to eat healthier? thanks
Sponsored Links
#2 of 3 Old 11-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Dips may appeal to the four year old; vegetables sticks and hummus, salad dressing, yogurt and dill, etc.
For protein, strips of chicken breast and salad dressing to dip, taco sauce, sour cream mixed with taco sauce, etc.
Presentation seems to go far at this age, sections of dips, sections of strips of food, and so on.
#3 of 3 Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I would definitely exploit the soup angle at home if he likes broth. You can get lots of veggies into a soup. For my DD I usually make a brothy soup with lots of noodles and the veggies cut up very small. We'll often do just finely diced carrot and minced up greens (kale or spinach) in chicken broth with small chicken cubes and noodles.

For lunch...we usually try for a bread food, protein food, fruit and vegetable at lunch. Proteins are usually cheese, deli meat, sausage, eggs (hard-boiled or an omelette cut into little squares) or peanut butter (have you tried sun butter for school?). My DD prefers her foods separate, like a little deli plate. Black olives, little cubes of cucumber, carrots (she likes strips peeled off with the peeler), squeeze applesauce pouches, fruit leather as a healthier sweet thing, cherry tomatoes....basically lots of little finger foods.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page